Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"The Grizzly"

DoubleXX

One of the Regulars
mattfink said:
I think Aero does a shawl collar on one or more other jackets. Don't particularly like the looks of the Lost Worlds stuff. Would ultimately like to find a vintage grizzly, but they only seem to come in tiny sizes.

* Matty is correct-Aero will do one for you...not sure how much extra it would cost though. I seriously thought about it, but it doesn't really get cold enough here in Vancouver to justify it, so I just ordered the hide-on-hair one with a regular collar and a few custom touches (collar latch, wrist buckles, etc.).

k449

New in Town
I've had a few Aero jackets in the past, and got the bug again, this time for a Grizzly. Traded in a virtually unworn cordovan Barnstomer towards one. Decided on vintage brown FQHH and rust mouton, with some slight changes to the belt, a collar strap, wide button strap cuffs, and a shawl collar. Amanda was most helpful w/ all the modifications. She told me lead time on the jacket will be 12 weeks. I remember when I ordered my first Aero jacket from Ken 10+ years back and it arrived in Baltimore about 3 weeks later. I'm kind of surprised business would be that brisk with the economy the way it is.

marineabilly

A-List Customer
DoubleXX said:
* Matty is correct-Aero will do one for you...not sure how much extra it would cost though. I seriously thought about it, but it doesn't really get cold enough here in Vancouver to justify it, so I just ordered the hide-on-hair one with a regular collar and a few custom touches (collar latch, wrist buckles, etc.).

Any pics, DXX?

himelator

Vendor
MudInYerEye said:
The grizzly in those photos was made by Toyo Enterprises of Japan who also manufacture the Buzz Rickson and Sugar Cane products. I have another Toyo grizzly (russet horsehide with yellow/gold mouton) made under their Style Eyes label.
I should add that grizzly jackets attract nearly as many women as my terrier dog.
Im curious how much did that grizzly cost?

grizzlynewb

New in Town
I have one of these. It's been in the closet out at the farm for as long as I can remember. I'm not sure if it belonged to my grandfather or if it was something that my dad picked up secondhand and wore to ride dirtbikes in the 60s and 70s. They've both passed away, so I can't ask them.

I registered here because when I googled it, this thread was one of the very few things that came up other than places selling reproductions. I was hoping for some advice. It doesn't fit me, and if it's worth anything close to some of the other ones in this thread I really can't afford not to sell it. I don't know if I should take it to a vintage clothing store or ebay it or what. I also really don't know what it should be worth in this condition.

Here's some pics. As you can see, it's pretty worn and has some serious flaws. I would guess that it's something around a 36 long. Thanks for any words of wisdom that you can provide.

grizzly1a.jpg

grizzly2.jpg

grizzly3.jpg

grizzly4.jpg

grizzly5.jpg

grizzly6.jpg

grizzly7.jpg

marineabilly

A-List Customer
eBay is your best bet. You've got yourself a rare beast there, although, it does have its issues. Based on the pictures and stated size, I have a ballpark idea of its value. I'll keep my opinion to myself on this one, though.

Good luck.

Measuements would be nice.

Cheers!

grizzlynewb

New in Town
marineabilly said:
Measuements would be nice.

Sure, and nobody should take my guess of 36L as anything but a guess based on how much too small it seems for me.

The question I have is what are a complete set of measurements for a jacket? I found this guide on google. http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/tutorials/andrewharrisebaymeasurement.htm It lists chest, waist, shoulder width, length on the back, and sleeve length. Are there any other important measurements for a jacket of this type or can anyone point me to a better guide?

Thanks again for the help.

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
Jacket Measurements

Those look like the key ones... I've always appreciated when, along with the measurement, there's a brief description of HOW they've measured. For instance: "From armpit to armpit" and "From top of sleeve to bottom of cuff," etc.

Bassman

A-List Customer
A couple of months ago I brought a shearling B-3 that no longer fits me and a cheap black leather jacket that does fit me to a local leather jacket manufacturer and inquired about making 1 Grizzly out of the 2 jackets.
The labor was approximately $1200.00 and I declined. Just don't have that kind of spending cash.

grizzlynewb

New in Town
Within two hours of posting it, I had two questions about shipping to Japan, and two offers of $550 and $600 for it, both also from Japan. That's fine by me; I don't think there are many adult men in the US who could fit into it anyway. I'm skinny as a rail, and some 38s are still tight on me.

Frankly, I'll be overjoyed with whatever I get for it. I'm in the construction industry, and work has been pretty slow for a while. I really had no idea that this thing was of value. I just happened to see a similar jacket a few weeks ago, remembered this one, and dug it out to do a little research on it. Any amount that it sells for is basically "found money" for me, and will go a long way toward some projects that need taken care of here. I didn't want to take any early offers, because I'm fascinated by the auction process and I think it's interesting to see what the market will bear.

Thanks for everyone's interest here. You guys were pretty helpful and this seems like a great forum. I don't know that I'll be around much as I'm pretty much a slob. I wear Levis about 300 days of the year and Carhartts 50 days of the year, so that doesn't leave much room for style.

grizzlynewb

New in Town
By the way, if anyone has any suggestions for or criticisms of my listing, I'd love to hear them. I tried to take a picture of the zipper, but my camera doesn't have a macro mode and they just didn't come out. Are there any additional pictures that I should take, or any details that I should add? Have I been misleading in any way? It's still early enough for me to make changes to the way that I presented it, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
When I've sold jackets I disclose EVERYTHING and post as many pictures as ebay allows (12). Click all the boxes for enhanced picture functionality so bidders can get the biggest, clearest resolution pics allowed by ebay.

Also, post all measurements and be realisitic about INT shipping. Sometimes it ain't cheap.

GL. Sure it'll fetch a pretty penny.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Cool Suit

Baron Kurtz said:
Nice Grizzly in this pic:

3123406663_7895748649_o.jpg

bk
I still don't like the Grizzly, but the other young mans outfit is to cool! The boots and scarf are just right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred