Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"The Grizzly"

Cricket

Practically Family
I am actually digging these coats. Someone left the comment earlier that they attract women. At first, I thought.....no. But now I want my husband to get one so I can snuggle up to him when we are out in the cold weather. Baby, it's getting cold outside. ;)

marineabilly

A-List Customer
I want all of these...

img55706036.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
The Japanese seem to "get" cool American culture better than Americans.
The repros I've seen all look amazing and there seems to be a real appreciation for detail.

marineabilly

A-List Customer
LOS ANGELES

I may end up getting one, but being from So Cal (L.A. / O.C.) it's kind of overkill. The hair on hide ones may be more practical for So Cal weather. I just can't get over these Japanese Laskin Lamb's, though. I haven't seen anyone wear a grizzly at any Rockabilly gigs I've attended over the years - then again, like I said, it's So Cal

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
Too cool...

Thanks for posting those photos, marineabilly. I really dig those grizzlies - too bad I'm a size 44R...They probably stop at a size 40 or 42.

Do you know if these Laskinlamb jackets are manufactured by Toyo Enterprises or a different company? Just curious.

Thanks again!

Noel

John Lever

One Too Many
WhiskeyTangoFox said:
Thanks for posting those photos, marineabilly. I really dig those grizzlies - too bad I'm a size 44R...They probably stop at a size 40 or 42.

Do you know if these Laskinlamb jackets are manufactured by Toyo Enterprises or a different company? Just curious.

Thanks again!

Noel
Most Japanese companies sell up to size 44.
Please can someone post a link to a store/ site so we can check out prices ?
They will be astronomical but some times with the very best you have to grin and bear the cost.

marineabilly

A-List Customer
JAPANESE GRIZZLY LINKS - TOYO ENTERPRISE

Here are a couple of links to the jackets. Be mindful that these have been off the Japanese market for some time now and have just recently been re-released. Once these are gone, they will be gone for some time if not for good. Link #3 is interesting because it was the last batch before they stopped producing them for at least a year or so (I've been following these for some time) It was a black one for sale at 30% off (just under $800 U.S.) - size 38 (M). Another Japanese site sold a brown one at the same price about six months ago.

I'd pull the trigger on the brown/natural one, but I recently purchased the Real McCoys Buco Boots for under $1,000 and also have my eyes on one of their Buco jackets, so I've got some serious deciding to make. The Japanese really know our Americana...

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/hinoya/ll80037/

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/baberuth/647635/832887/#948185

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/shooting/10000936/

marineabilly

A-List Customer
John Lever said:

I've been eyeballing the Aero Grizzly's for a long time and if I were to take the plunge on one, I'd have to change the sleeve. I love the classic look of the buckle strap on the lower sleeve with the Aero Boolegger style sleeve (w/hidden knit cuff). I'd also have to add a neck tab like the original. The quality of the Aero leather would probably be better, though. I have to say that the above Japanese Grizzly's capture all the details of the original.

John Lever

One Too Many
I'm sure if you contacted Amanda at Aero, they would tweak some small changes for you. With the weak pound at the moment, it could be a better deal. Large sizes are available.

fishmeok

Vendor
How are those constructed? Do they use a layer of leather under the mouton to back it up, or just sew the sheep directly to the horse trim pieces?
Cheers
Mark

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
Depression Era Image

Hey, love the image of the fellows in NY. The grizzly in actual wear looks pretty nice !

Attached is a neat image taken by Russell Lee as part of the Farm Security Administration's project to document the conditions of migrant and rural peoples during the Depression. On the wall, you can see a Grizzly.

Taken Dec, 1936 and the caption reads:

"Marcus Miller and family in shack that he built himself. Spencer, Iowa. This is half the house. Miller is a hired hand who has managed to save enough to make a part payment on seven and a half acres of land. However, he is most anxious to get steady work or to operate a farm."

Clint

cheaterome

One of the Regulars
marineabilly said:
I may end up getting one, but being from So Cal (L.A. / O.C.) it's kind of overkill. The hair on hide ones may be more practical for So Cal weather. I just can't get over these Japanese Laskin Lamb's, though. I haven't seen anyone wear a grizzly at any Rockabilly gigs I've attended over the years - then again, like I said, it's So Cal

First of all great topic , love the show.

I think the reason being is that it's an obscure jacket . SUPER rad but obscure. and it's more of a late 30's and 40's thing rather than a "rockabilly thing".

The Japanese ones are hard to get and the originals fetch $2,000.00 -3,000.00.

Mud in yer eye's jacket 's are killer!

Rome

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner