Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The hand woven tie.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Hand woven ties can be found hear and there on vintage digs. They were rather popular as a sporty sort of “Day wear� for a young man. They’re becoming very hard to find these days but, when one finds one, most of the time they’re cheap because people think they’re falling apart because of the unfinished ends.

In the photo below, please note that the back of the tie gets wider at the bottom. This is a characteristic of a 30’s tie. This tie is also a classic houndstooth checked style that we see in early to mid 30’s movies.

1191946img2pj.jpg

NOTE: Small single Purple thread at the tip of the tie! This was a small detail and is original to the tie. There is no purple in the tie other then this small thread at the point.

The label on this tie is also placed where most would be placed today, on the back and not where we find most labels on vintage ties like towards the bottom.

1191947img8xq.jpg

If any one else has some of these ties, please share! I know Matt Deckard loves these type of ties and has a few to share as well.

Let’s see them unfinished ties!

=WR=

kools

Practically Family
I just received by latest tie acquisition...9 woven ties for $9.99! All deadstock. They all have finished bottoms.

This is a big move for me...most of my other ties are late '40s silk or rayon. The seller of these claimed they were from the 1940s, but I don't know enough about this style to validate that. I do like the casual look of them.

Here are 2 "loose-end" woven ties I've had for years. I don't remember ever wearing either of them.

The tag on the back of these 2 each says "TEWA Indian Hand Loomed 100% Wool"

Zach R.

Practically Family
Is there a sure-fire way to tell between 30-40s vintage woven ties and the woven ties from the 1970s? The ones with the square bottoms anyway, I've never seen the ones like 'Root pictured.

I've seen a few on my thrifting runs, but I've always thought they were 70s ties.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
You can tell the difference by the widths. 1930s ties were narrower than those of the '70s, but wider than those of the '60s. Also, '30s ties were shorter than their '60s and '70s descendants. Finally, 1970s knit/woven ties had label loops to hold the small end of the tie. (So do today's ties.) Ties from the '30s almost never had these loops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner