Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hardest Noir You've Ever Witnessed

Trampilot

Familiar Face
"Criss Cross" has always been a favourite of mine. I might watch it today as I haven't seen it for while.

As for Tarantino/Stealing/Homage ... the words "open", "can" and "worms" spring to mind!

funneman

Practically Family
Scarlett Street?

Does this movie count? Edward G. is such a wimp, Joan Bennett is such a vamp and Dan Duryea is such a heel.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
How about The Stranger? I love that one.

I suppose the classic of all time is The Killers, which is excellent, so excellent, in fact, that even Hemingway thought it was brilliant and he hated everything that spun from his work.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
Someone mentioned The Fountainhead? We watched in in at school in when I did my bachleor in furniture design/interior architecture. I have also heard it's a big hit at architects parties!

I love and hate that movie! True, the characters are selfish, the acting and directing is grossly overplayed and the moral is dubious to say the least. And I am no fan of objectiveism. [SPOILERS FOLLOW -If you haven't seen the film, then read no further. -HJ] But no architect can avoid feeling at least some glee when the "hero" architect blows up the nice functionalistic he designed, because the entrepreneurs put some hideous decor on it and spoiled it! And then he gets acquitted in court because the jury acknowledges his artistic right to do so! Wouldn't we ll like to do things like that sometimes....

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Dead Reckoning....

Lizabeth Scott is a dangerous woman....

200px-DeadReckoning.jpg

I also loved her in "Too Late for Tears"! Dan Duryea was very very menacing in the scene where he calls to her apartment. Wow, threatening in a straw boater hat - how times have changes. He really reminded me of William Dafoe in that scene.

What about "Impact"?

200px-

Great film, but the main character, what a "Softie"!!! :p (in-joke for those who've seen it).

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Technonut said:
Out of the Past

Kiss of Death (Richard Widmark was GREAT in that role... I think it was his screen debut)

240px-Kissofdeath.jpg

I really liked him in Night and the City, but I don't think I've seen him in much anything else. I'll put Kiss of Death on my list.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Kiss Me Deadly was painfully cruel and thus "hard." The woman on the side of the road at the beginning. She looked really messed up. the protagonist's mean lack of care for her. The sounds of her screams when she was tortured -- horrible. long. painful. The protagonist's smiling glee when he closes the drawer on the older man's fingers. Quite cruel. I was uncomfortable with it. I suppose it was true to the novels. Mike Hammer has always been cruel to an uncomfortable degree. The business in the novels in which he always has to hit someone in the mouth and plaster their teeth all over the place. Yuck. Some Freudian should do a study of cruelty in Mike Hammer novels.

As for the "great whatsit": it was a BOMB in Kiss Me Deadly. It was NOT A BOMB in Pulp Fiction. However, let's say you just want to think about it as a mysterious Thing In A Box Which You Should Not See And If You Do, Your Eyes Will Get Big And You Will Regret Seeing It. Fine. It also appeared in Repo Man, in the trunk of a car. In fact, the motif is older than that. It is also in the basket that Aglauros' daughters jump off the cliff on the Akropolis of Athens after seeing in Greek mythology, reflected in Euripides' Ion. Who knows what it was? MAYBE IT WAS WHATEVER WAS AT THE END OF THE LAST EPISODE OF SOPRANOS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff