Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hatco Outlet Store in Garland, TX

Ken David

One of the Regulars
BTW, Candy had 3 of these "Excellent" Quality Whippets avaliable yesterday. 2 size, 7 1/4 and one size, 7 3/8. $124.00

I wonder who snagged the other 7 1/4?

IMO these seem pretty decent for the price or am I missing something???

I am still new at the hat search/hunt and after only 7 months searching hard for all available options for vintage: etsy/ebay local thrift stores, craigslist, antique malls etc, many of the custom options from our great hatters and moderns (which pretty much only options are Stetson and Akubra which both have their issues) price wise it looks like these are some of the best deals? Custom in rabbit with edge treatment is going to run from the low $200s to low $300s, vintage is all over the place with many variables (IF you are lucky to score 1 in the very competitive market for a decent price in the size/color/style etc that you are looking for)....is there any better deals to be had for some of us more price sensitive loungers? This is sure one of the most time intensive hobbies I have been involved in.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up

I am still new at the hat search/hunt and after only 7 months searching hard for all available options for vintage: etsy/ebay local thrift stores, craigslist, antique malls etc, many of the custom options from our great hatters and moderns (which pretty much only options are Stetson and Akubra which both have their issues) price wise it looks like these are some of the best deals? Custom in rabbit with edge treatment is going to run from the low $200s to low $300s, vintage is all over the place with many variables (IF you are lucky to score 1 in the very competitive market for a decent price in the size/color/style etc that you are looking for)....is there any better deals to be had for some of us more price sensitive loungers? This is sure one of the most time intensive hobbies I have been involved in.

Yup. "Pretty decent" for the price Ken.
Not many deals better then this unless you are the only bidder and steal sumthin on ebay.

Ken David

One of the Regulars
Yup. "Pretty decent" for the price Ken.
Not many deals better then this unless you are the only bidder and steal sumthin on ebay.

I agree, I probably spend a couple hrs a day at the very least searching ebay and never have come across a steal (I guess I just am not that lucky) my experience is the nicer lids get bid up at the last second and my 20yrs or so using ebay I much prefer a decent BIN sale....regardless I did go ahead and grab one of these PG "excellent" whippets, I am anxious to compare the felt quality of this "excellent" to my other royal deluxe premier modern Stetsons. Thanks Bob for posting the info.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I agree, I probably spend a couple hrs a day at the very least searching ebay and never have come across a steal (I guess I just am not that lucky) my experience is the nicer lids get bid up at the last second and my 20yrs or so using ebay I much prefer a decent BIN sale....regardless I did go ahead and grab one of these PG "excellent" whippets, I am anxious to compare the felt quality of this "excellent" to my other royal deluxe premier modern Stetsons. Thanks Bob for posting the info.
Welcome Ken. Hope you like it. Get mine on Thursday/Friday. We'll compare notes.

Ken David

One of the Regulars
Welcome Ken. Hope you like it. Get mine on Thursday/Friday. We'll compare notes.

Sounds great I expect mine Sat. I have the same Whippet premiere as you in Sage from the outlet from a previous purchase and looking forward in comparing royal deluxe vs excellent grades of felt since I do not own nor handled any modern Stetsons in excellent quality felt which I have read on some older threads to be mostly beaver in the blend. I am guessing these retailed in the $350 range?

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Sounds great. I have the same Whippet premiere as you in Sage from the outlet from a previous purchase and looking forward in comparing royal deluxe vs excellent grades of felt since I do not own nor handled any modern Stetsons in excellent quality felt which I have read on some older threads to be mostly beaver in the blend.
Really, beaver blend? I had never heard that. Would be very nice if that's the case. My first "Excellent Quality" as well.

Ken David

One of the Regulars
Really, beaver blend? I had never heard that. Would be very nice if that's the case. My first "Excellent Quality" as well.

2015 Stetson Excellent Quality GREEN THIN RIBBON (Preview & Review)

"This hat uses Stetson's new EXCELLENT QUALITY felt which was developed by Matt Deckard at Stetson/Hatco. I am unsure of the exact felt formula (its proprietary obviously), but I have been informed that it is MOSTLY BEAVER. What "MOSTLY" means I am unsure, but its at least 80-90 percent pure beaver (maybe more...like I said, I was not privy to the exact formula). The other furs such as nutria, rabbit, and chinchilla have been added for softness, denseness, and ruggedness. This is NOT a bad thing. 100% beaver bodies don't necessarily make the "best" hats. Every type of fur has its strengths and weaknesses and I feel that this particular formula embraces the absolute strengths of each type of fur. Matt really nailed this formula!!!"

Assuming the "excellent" quality has remained the same the last couple years???

Scooterz

Practically Family
Whippet hemp in chocolate followed me home. Interestingly the brim is 2 1/2" in front and 2 5/8" on sides and 2 3/8" in back. Maybe that is why it's at the outlet. Most descriptions on vendors sites say its 2 3/8". Maria was very professional and helpful.

WhippetHempStraw4.jpg

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Four Excellent Quality "High Crown" Stetson Whippets are avaliable. Factory creased and blocked on a wide oval block to give them their unique crown profile. These will be offered exclusively only to the Asian market this fall/winter. They were designed by Matt Deckard based on his own personal hat that when seen by Stetson asked him to design for production. This block was the first new block formed/molded and produced by Stetson (specifically for this hat) in 30 years. Size available is only 7 and 1/4. In "Phantom Grey." Sale price $124.00.
Ask Candy for details if interested. Here's the hat for those who havnt seen it.
20170721_140506-1-1.jpg
2017071895114059951500396060524-1.jpg
2017071895113511951500395712493-1.jpg

Last edited:

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Four Excellent Quality "High Crown" Stetson Whippets are avaliable. Factory creased and blocked on a wide oval block to give them their unique crown profile. These will be offered exclusively only to the Asian market this fall/winter. They were designed by Matt Deckard based on his own personal hat that when seen by Stetson asked him to design for production. This block was the first new block formed/molded and produced by Stetson (specifically for this hat) in 30 years. Size available is only 7 and 1/4. In "Phantom Grey." Ask Candy for details if interested. Here's the hat for those who havnt seen it. View attachment 83432 View attachment 83433 View attachment 83434
Very nice, Bob!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari