Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Home Front... GAS RATIONING.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ok, with the current prices of gas as they be, I'm thinking of reinstating the gas ration for my own car... yes, it's a 46 but, my question is this...

When was gas rationing officially over? I see in 1946 they were using the single '45 plate with a small yellow year tag in the corner of the plate... so, my guess is that they were still rationing metal to some extent into '46. My question is, was gas still rationed into '46 too? I'd like to know so because I'd love to use one of them small stickers in the windshield! lol

If any one has some real information on the years of the gas ration, feel free to post! I'd love to know!!!

=WR=

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Wild Root said:
Ok, with the current prices of gas as they be, I'm thinking of reinstating the gas ration for my own car... yes, it's a 46 but, my question is this...

When was gas rationing officially over? I see in 1946 they were using the single '45 plate with a small yellow year tag in the corner of the plate... so, my guess is that they were still rationing metal to some extent into '46. My question is, was gas still rationed into '46 too? I'd like to know so because I'd love to use one of them small stickers in the windshield! lol

If any one has some real information on the years of the gas ration, feel free to post! I'd love to know!!!

=WR=

http://www.prewarbuick.com/id389.htm

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_382b.html

has an end date in the article....

as with all internet things....grain of salt applied...

Wild Root

Gone Home
Golly Gee Whiz Neecerie! That's super keen! Thanks for that link, it really shed some light on the subject!

So, now we know that gas rationing ended on Aug. 15 1945... well, I think I'll still put a sticker in the window any how... there is a war on now and well, with gas prices the way they are, I think I'll print out a nice letter B or something.
b7c91b40.jpg

Thanks again,
=WR=

Wild Root said:
Golly Gee Whiz Neecerie! That's super keen! Thanks for that link, it really shed some light on the subject!

So, now we know that gas rationing ended on Aug. 15 1945... well, I think I'll still put a sticker in the window any how... there is a war on now and well, with gas prices the way they are, I think I'll print out a nice letter B or something.
b7c91b40.jpg

Thanks again,
=WR=

Gee, this all reminds me of the 70s. [huh] :D

Regards,

J

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When did production of the 1946 Plymouth begin? I know it was some time in 1945.

I also find it interesting that California had you buy a whole new license plate every year until, if memory serves, the yellow plates of 1956. (with the exception of 1946)

In 1963 they made everybody get the new black plates and when they switched to blue in 1969, they must have realized that it would have been a logistical nightmare to stamp out new plates for every car on the road.

Do other states require a whole new plate every year? Hawaii requires new plates whenever they change the design, which they did in 1969, 1976, 1981 and (I think) 1990. If you watch "Hawaii Five-O," McGarret's Mercury has the same green Hawaiian plate from 1968 on while all the other cars got the yellow plate in 1969.

The rubber aspect is interesting, too. I guess folks who had dual sidemount spare tires on their Packards and Caddys had to run around with a bare rim in one of the side mounts, since they were limited to 5 tires per car.

Wild Root

Gone Home
The 46 models were rolling out as early as December I believe... but, they were back ordered and some people were getting their "New" car as late as '47! Interesting thing about the dual Side mounted spares is that they stopped making them in '39 or '40 I believe... so, people who had them did go with out one spare I'm sure. There were lots of people who sold their cars because it was too much of a hassle with all the rationing going on.

Here is a very accurate chart of license plates of California from 1940 to 49.

USA_CA_GI4_1940's.jpg

Here are the one's for the 50's just for information sake.

USA_CA_GI5_1950's.jpg

One can see that in 1946 they stated to issue a small tag instead of a whole plate. In 1947 they issued two plates again but, in 48 to 50 they issued a tag.

Interesting stuff!

=WR=

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
Speaking of gas prices though...I'm thinking of plunking down the $ to have hydrogen tanks in my trunk once they finish perfecting the tech... supposed to switch seamlessly to the gas tank after they run out, and apparently is safer than gasoline in the gas tank (see link)...i'll hunt the link down for yall... cutting edge stuff... and lets ya spend more money on the important stuff...aka vintage hehe

This investment would let me keep my car when everyone switches into UFO looking things *twitch*

*pops back in and plunks the link in* Plunk!

Twitch

The problem with hydrogen is that it takes $1.10 worth of energy to produce $1.00 of actual fuel. A "old car guy" I know recently retired from a corporation that was endeavouring to produce a viable hydrogen manufacturing method. All the pie in the sky stuff is great but prototypical use is not a valid confirmation of the idea. I'd have to wonder how fast, or slow, a network of stations could come into existance.

I am not sold on the ethanol since there is no benefit over gasoline! It costs a bit less but sometimes costs more and mileage is also proportionately less. Also any other-than-gasoline system requires a varying degree of additional equipment installed for opertion. The less gasoline in the mix the worse your mileage is.

The reality is that natural gas offers the best alternative fuel for the price and the complexity of its ingestion in an internal combustion engine is accomplished with basically a plate between the carburetor and intake manifold. Unfortunately, the required tanks are huge space-takers and mileage is not better than gasoline.

It looks right now that the sucessful diesel use in small displacement engines in Europe could be an idea for the US but not in squeeky little pillbox cars. Higher mileage is the factor even though the fuel is as expensive or more so than gas. Bio-diesel is a wild card. The grain producing states and private growers of such hamper its widespread use manufacture due to the existance of subsidies which raise the growers profits and the end product's cost as well. You've all heard of the stuff like how the government pays farmer NOT to grow certain crops, right? More of the same convoluted stuff from the boys in the government burocracies with grain.

If and when they can produce hydrogen for the free market without government subsidy then it will be something. Hey, until then let the government subsidize us consumers and cut gasoline taxes.:)

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
Well yeah but what i'm saying is if United Nuclear pulls it off I might look into it hehe. that and one of their converters uses the wonderfully free solar energy so ^_-. Till then I'm going to keep working on my warp core lol

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
Actually it just hit me but...thank god for modern tires lasting for thousands and thousands of miles, I dont think I have the patience to replace them over and over and over and.. *watches the Energizer bunny roll by*

Tony in Tarzana

Amen on the tire comment. Also, does anybody remember "Blowouts"? Tires used to go "pop" and lose all their air in an instant, often sending a car out of control. I've been driving since 1976 and that has never happened to me. Heck, I've only ever had maybe half a dozen flat tires of any sort in all that time, and that's a high estimate.

carebear

Last blowout in my family happened due to debris in the road back in the '80's.

Even with the evil corporations withholding the 100K mile tire technology we're still miles ahead (heh) of our tire-using ancestors.

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
Theres some fairly new tires in production that are airless... so no more filling the tires...no more flats...just "tire" until you rub all the rubber off em. That will be the day we all get better gas mileage...since as we all know when yer at the correct Psi you save gas... and these are always correct hehe

http://www.michelinman.com/difference/releases/pressrelease01102005a.html

I hope that when they finally come out they let me buy it in that style...without the rubber side...thats just...sweet... lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart