Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "iGent"

MikePotts

Practically Family
Pulled from Todays "A Suitable Wardrobe" link here:

http://asuitablewardrobe.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-rise-of-internet-gentleman.html

(You might be an iGent if:)

If your new Alan Flusser book is sitting on top of your old Alan Flusser book;

If you get all dressed up with nowhere to go but online;

If you look for jobs that are business formal;

If you have to decide between your Brigg or your Smith when it rains... and you post your dramatic decision online;

If you wonder if your kid's diapers have seven-fold construction;

If you have a favorite salesperson at the Off 5th at Franklin Mills;

If you tell your tailor you met fellow customers online;

If you pay $10 an issue for a magazine without people committing lewd acts inside it;

If you buy magazines about shoes and clothing in languages you can’t read;

If your suit would have cost more than your car if you hadn't bought it on 95% clearance;

If you like it, the lamb, but know brown is for farmer;

If you ask strangers to look at clothed pictures of you on the Internet;

If you ask other men to post selfies from the men’s room and are not a conservative politician;

If you've derived the function for making a chambray pattern.

If you know where the outlet centers are in countries you have never visited;

If you watch bad movies to comment about the clothes;

If you own one or more pocket squares with cats on them;

If you used to use the expression "pocket square" until you saw everyone else using it;

If you have gazed into the abyss, and it has gazed into you, and you wrote a clothing book about it;

If you drink espresso out of Limoges cups with 18th-century dandies on them;

If you think clothing “fora” have jumped the shark but hang around to talk about decor and food;

If you think your post count makes you part of the solution;

If you have ever used the words “suitings” or “shirtings,” (even correctly);

If you have unironically referred to yourself or someone else as a “sartorialist;"

If you get dressed up for a date with an iGent;

And if you laughed at these... you just might be an iGent.

Words and photo by Réginald-Jérôme de Mans

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Indeed. I see more of myself in some of those sentences than I'd have thought.....;)
He only got me on one point; the suiting/shirting usage though I'd been using those terms decades before the internet sprang up. Well, and maybe a 1/2 point since I do check out the thread here where TT and others post wardrobe photos from less than stellar movies though I don't acctually watch the movies.

Last edited:

Tadite

Familiar Face
Mine are:

If you tell your tailor you met fellow customers online; (well. stores).

If you pay $10 an issue for a magazine without people committing lewd acts inside it;

If you buy magazines about shoes and clothing in languages you can’t read;

If you know where the outlet centers are in countries you have never visited;

If you watch bad movies to comment about the clothes;

And if you laughed at these... you just might be an iGent.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Mine are:

If you get all dressed up with nowhere to go but online; - Yep, done that.
If you look for jobs that are business formal; - I haven't, but probably would.
If you tell your tailor you met fellow customers online; - Not yet, but I can see this situation in my future.
If you pay $10 an issue for a magazine without people committing lewd acts inside it; - Yup, more than I care to admit.
If your suit would have cost more than your car if you hadn't bought it on 95% clearance; - Absolutely, if not acquired on eBay, at Goodwill, Unclaimed Baggage Outlet, and other second hand stores.
If you ask strangers to look at clothed pictures of you on the Internet; - Ditto.
If you watch bad movies to comment about the clothes; - All the time, especially those from the Golden Era.
If you own one or more pocket squares with cats on them; - I have plenty of squares but am not particularly fond of cats. Dogs and birds, yes.
If you used to use the expression "pocket square" until you saw everyone else using it; - Still do.
If you drink espresso out of Limoges cups with 18th-century dandies on them; - Love espresso, but this is just a little too dandy for me.
If you think your post count makes you part of the solution; - I'm sure it does.
If you have ever used the words “suitings” or “shirtings,” (even correctly); - or incorrectly?
And if you laughed at these... you just might be an iGent. - Glad to know it, even though I'm not completely sure what an iGent is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran