Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Indiana Jones jacket. Much hype, little substance?

namvet6971

New in Town
Am gonna order a Wested H.D. lamb Indy jacket, after I lose some weight. Hopefully by January 1st. Figure it'll give me an incentive to stay on track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
As I said MUCH earlier in this thread, I love my Wested lambskin Raiders, it's been my "summer weight" leather jacket since 2003. (I was just wearing it yesterday!) And I already related my "Xmas miracle" story about how Wested replaced the back panel FOR FREE when I tore it.

Anyway, there's been very little talk here about Wested jackets other than the Indy styles. So I wanted to mention that I just got my son a different Wested jacket as a birthday gift (and his first black leather jacket). This one:

http://www.wested.com/classic-blouson-jacket-in-black-lambskin---style-275-2034-p.asp

I have to tell you, for only $155, this is a very nicely made jacket: definitely better quality than "mall jackets" costing twice that. And with the falling pound, it's currently ten dollars less than I paid last month! If you're looking for an inexpensive leather jacket to give as a gift to somebody who's not expert/obsessed like us, it's pretty sweet.

Now I know that this vaguely MA-1-ish jacket in soft lambskin isn't what most of us here are into, but I'm pretty impressed for what it cost. It's got me wondering what some of Wested's other non-Indy jackets are like... not that I'm in the market for yet another leather jacket just now!

namvet6971

New in Town
As I said MUCH earlier in this thread, I love my Wested lambskin Raiders, it's been my "summer weight" leather jacket since 2003. (I was just wearing it yesterday!) And I already related my "Xmas miracle" story about how Wested replaced the back panel FOR FREE when I tore it.

Anyway, there's been very little talk here about Wested jackets other than the Indy styles. So I wanted to mention that I just got my son a different Wested jacket as a birthday gift (and his first black leather jacket). This one:

http://www.wested.com/classic-blouson-jacket-in-black-lambskin---style-275-2034-p.asp

I have to tell you, for only $155, this is a very nicely made jacket: definitely better quality than "mall jackets" costing twice that. And with the falling pound, it's currently ten dollars less than I paid last month! If you're looking for an inexpensive leather jacket to give as a gift to somebody who's not expert/obsessed like us, it's pretty sweet.

Now I know that this vaguely MA-1-ish jacket in soft lambskin isn't what most of us here are into, but I'm pretty impressed for what it cost. It's got me wondering what some of Wested's other non-Indy jackets are like... not that I'm in the market for yet another leather jacket just now!

That's a nice looking jacket for riding, at a great price. Compared to what I paid for my Harley Davidson jacket.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Doc Strange, for posting about Wested. I'd forgotten about them. With the UK pound being weak right now, their jackets are more attractive all the time.

Edward

Bartender
Am gonna order a Wested H.D. lamb Indy jacket, after I lose some weight. Hopefully by January 1st. Figure it'll give me an incentive to stay on track.

I'm in the same boat. I have a goat Raiders, from the standard line, but I'm thinking of replacing it with a M2M Hero model if I can drop the excess 6" off my belly. I'm also very tempted by the Wested Das Boot / Dr Who jacket.... Not on a par with my Aeros, however the beauty of these is that they're still very nice, but being so much cheaper a great way of experimenting with a style I'm not sure I'll wear all that often (and therefore don't want to spring Aero money for). Also laways nice to have a beater you're just not as precious about when you're looking at taking it on holiday.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My Wested custom G-1 (again) :)

photo (81).JPG

Edward

Bartender
I love those knits, very much like one of the Aero A2 contracts (I don't think they ever did the rust knits on a USN jacket, but who cares when they look that good! ;) ).

bn1966

Thanks Gents,

Those are A-2 contract knits Edward :)

Project started out due to being unable to find a service issue G-1 & Howard at Bradleys Dry Cleaners (jacket restoration expert & cleaner) suggested I give Wested a whirl.

Spoke to Wested who agreed to the custom build, gave them a size 48 Star Sportwear G-1 to work off of with some alterations in order that it fits me correctly.

I sourced everything bar the goatskin (MASH etc etc...) Wested made a toile in calico after I went up for the initial fitting. Jacket was made once the toile was agreed to fit well.

I decided to go for a fantasy USN G-1 / M-422A fusion, this jacket is mainly Star Sportwear & a couple of H&L Block features. In the end I wanted something that isn't a replica (didn't cost anywhere near high end jacket prices either). I loved the red knits (off an A-2 contract) so went down that path.

Fit is very good which made for a happy end to the project.

photo (6).JPG
photo (91).JPG
photo (90).JPG

bn1966

Have worn it a fair bit since those out of the box pics. Will post a progress photo soon as it's been worn hard recently :)

OceanBreeze

One of the Regulars

Yeah leather jackets tend to be cut for people in relatively fit condition... so it's definitely good to wait until you get there.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Kangaroo leather is, in my experience, very tough/durable but also flexible. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a jacket made with kangaroo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner