Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Indiana Jones jacket. Much hype, little substance?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Let's redo the question: is the kangaroo hide used by US Wings, which is Schott made, any good? I know their last batch years ago used to peel. The surface dye was unstable. This batch I haven't heard anything bad about. Kanga hide is light, dense and very, very tough. If it is properly tanned and dressed it will outwear anything.

Last edited:

OceanBreeze

One of the Regulars
Let's redo the question: is the kangaroo hide used by US Wings, which is Schott made, any good? I know their last batch years ago used to peel. The surface dye was unstable. This batch I haven't heard anything bad about. Kanga hide is light, dense and very, very tough. If it is properly tanned and dressed it will outwear anything.
I understand your concern having purchased an expensive leather sofa from a reputable brand which began losing most of its color after 6 months of ownership.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I understand your concern having purchased an expensive leather sofa from a reputable brand which began losing most of its color after 6 months of ownership.

It's not really my concern. I was simply reporting from several posts from members of COW, the Indy Jones site ,with photos of their Wings/Schott Kangaroo shedding layers of surface hide. My understanding at the time was the surface paint was coming off in layers, like peeling skin after sunburn. Very ugly.

I have never owned one. But I have heard no complaints about Schott's current kangaroo hide which has been available for around 2 years so I suspect this iteration is ok.

The more recent Legend pattern is US Wings first decent attempt at an Indy jacket pattern and is moderately accurate compared to the clown pockets, over-sized standard jackets they have produced.

kronos77

One of the Regulars
CAn someone give me a more concrete assesment of the Wested leather? I hear it isn't Aero FQHH or it isn't Shinki, but what is it? Is the difference thickness, weight, imperfections in the surface or something else? Does Wested have anything 1.3 to 1.5 mm thick? Is it finished in a way that looks cheap? Does it break in similarly to FQHH or some other leather?

Hammerklavier

One of the Regulars
CAn someone give me a more concrete assesment of the Wested leather? I hear it isn't Aero FQHH or it isn't Shinki, but what is it? Is the difference thickness, weight, imperfections in the surface or something else? Does Wested have anything 1.3 to 1.5 mm thick? Is it finished in a way that looks cheap? Does it break in similarly to FQHH or some other leather?

Your comment almost got me laughing~ They call their leather as "clothing grade leather", which is very thin leather, almost no grain, absolutely no character, with cheap crappy lining and stiches, don't every go to Wested, I had one of their jacket, it reminds me some faux leather jacket. of course people who own their jacket think they got real nice and quality jacket, it's only because they don't have chance to own high-end jacket like Aero.
You only get their jacket if you need cosplay or something.
Sorry sounds little bit aggressive, but it is what it is.

Plumbline

One Too Many
True .. if you want gasket leather then go with FQHH ( that was it's original purpose ... for making leather gaskets for pipes )

I have a Raiders jacket by Wested in Goat and it has lower stitch rate and thinner thread than my Aero and SB jackets but has been no less robust and is my go-to summer jacket. It doesn't have the weight or the stiffness of FQHH or 3oz Steer and is a MUCH more comfortable jacket to wear in warm weather. I tried this jacket in Aero's FQHH ( picked a Japanese "Indy" which Aero made in very limited numbers on Ebay which appeared to be made of a thick A-2 HH) .. and also had an SB "Indy" in both their "Old Grease" steer and Oilpull HH .... neither of these were as comfortable as the Wested in Goat. They were undoubtably heavier and perhaps tougher .. but don't underestimate how tough Goatskin is ..... it's a testament to these hides that so many naval G-1 and AN jackets survive so well after 60+ years.

It's a really decent jacket and easily on a par with many priced at 3 times it's price and more ...... it's outlasted dozens of high end reports that I've flipped having become either bored or just couldn't be bothered trying to get them pliable and wearable.

It has really practical pockets ( hand warmer and cargo ) ... inner pocket... side adjusters ... an action back .... a collar to turn up or down and it fits bob on straight off the rack (42")

All in all ...I love it :)

Technonut

Practically Family
I haven't purchased anything from Wested for quite a few years, but reminds me of a quote from the movie 'Forrest Gump'.... Mama always said "life was like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get".... Jacket way too large despite providing requested measurements, shoddy snaps, loose stitching on another, etc.. I returned one, which I found to have one sleeve shorter than the other when it was shipped back, and another return which was was satisfactory. Later on, after seeing some nice work by Wested posted on various forums, gave them another chance, and received a well-fitting, nicely constructed jacket.. :)

I haven't really had an itch to roll the dice again with them since...

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
More than happy with my Wested built G-1, comfortable & well constructed...not an Eastman, but then again it was much easier on the pocket :)

I think it really depends on whether you buy a made-for-you jacket or an off-the-rack jacket, and which leather you choose.

I've told this story here previously, but I'll save you the trouble of searching the forums. I got my Wested "Raiders" jacket in 2008, but had done some research first. At the time there were some complaints about their quality, but this was strictly in reference to their off-the-rack jackets which, at the time, were being sub-contracted (I don't know it that's still true). I opted for a custom, for that reason and because the measurements of their off-the-rack jackets weren't quite "right" for me. I chose Novapelle, a lightly-distressed cowhide, sent them my measurements, and waited. When I received my jacket a few weeks later, I double-checked the measurements before I tried it on. They had made the "body" longer than what I had requested, but they were right to do so because it would have been too short otherwise; all of the other measurements were spot-on. I then checked the stitching overall, and particularly paid attention to the "trouble spots" I'd read about while doing my research. No problems. Then I tried it on, and the fit was exactly what I wanted. Right out of the box the Novapelle leather was soft and comfortable, and it only gets better each time I wear the jacket.

If I knew then what I know now, I might have inquired about adding a bit of insulation to the jacket. It's not particularly warm in cooler weather (say, below 60°F). But I like my jackets to be a bit "roomy", so I can wear a sweatshirt or sweater under it to provide that extra bit of warmth without it being too snug or restrictive. Otherwise, the jacket I received is exactly what I wanted--a nice, comfortable, and in my opinion attractive, leather jacket that I can use as a jacket and not as a costume item.

That being said, it's still too soon to tell how well the Novapelle leather will hold up over the years. As I mentioned above it's nice and soft, but it's anything but water resistant; in fact, I think it tends to absorb water rather than repel it. I've been told horse hide is the best leather for a jacket if you want it to last forever, so if that's true it's clear that goat or cow hide won't last as long. My guess is it's a matter of the wearer's preferences and why you're wearing the jacket in the first place. I wouldn't recommend it for motorcyclists looking for something to protect them from road rash, but for a casual "wear almost anywhere" jacket it does the job nicely.

galopede

One of the Regulars
After reading this thread I took another look at the Wested site today and found a goat Crusade jacket in my size that had been custom made for someone but returned. At £110 plus £6 shipping It would have been rude to turn it down!

I will report back when it arrives!

Gareth

galopede

One of the Regulars
Well the goat Crusader jacket turned up this morning. No photos as yet as my son borrowed the card from my camera a few months ago and now he's moved to Adelaide with it! Doubt I'll see that again!

As for the jacket, I am well pleased with it. I know it isn't an Aero but I wouldn't expect that for the price. I bought it from Wested's clearance section. It was a custom jacket someone returned. All I can find wrong with it is that there are a couple of natural blemishes in the skin, which was mentioned by Wested on their sale page.

This is no doubt why it was returned but for the £110 I paid, I have no complaints! The fit is far better than I expected as well so a win win for a clearance item.

After a good look over it, the workmanship is excellent. It is certainly a cut above a "Mall Jacket". First jacket I've owned in goatskin. Not the most grainy but there is enough to make it interesting! Reasonable weight but soft and drapes well.

I would say well worth their full price as you can get it customised to your size and requirements and a great bargain for me. Will be a good warmer weather jacket and for when I'd rather not take the good ones out!

Cheers, Gareth

kronos77

One of the Regulars
I think it really depends on whether you buy a made-for-you jacket or an off-the-rack jacket, and which leather you choose.

I've told this story here previously, but I'll save you the trouble of searching the forums. I got my Wested "Raiders" jacket in 2008, but had done some research first. At the time there were some complaints about their quality, but this was strictly in reference to their off-the-rack jackets which, at the time, were being sub-contracted (I don't know it that's still true). I opted for a custom, for that reason and because the measurements of their off-the-rack jackets weren't quite "right" for me. I chose Novapelle, a lightly-distressed cowhide, sent them my measurements, and waited. When I received my jacket a few weeks later, I double-checked the measurements before I tried it on. They had made the "body" longer than what I had requested, but they were right to do so because it would have been too short otherwise; all of the other measurements were spot-on. I then checked the stitching overall, and particularly paid attention to the "trouble spots" I'd read about while doing my research. No problems. Then I tried it on, and the fit was exactly what I wanted. Right out of the box the Novapelle leather was soft and comfortable, and it only gets better each time I wear the jacket.

If I knew then what I know now, I might have inquired about adding a bit of insulation to the jacket. It's not particularly warm in cooler weather (say, below 60°F). But I like my jackets to be a bit "roomy", so I can wear a sweatshirt or sweater under it to provide that extra bit of warmth without it being too snug or restrictive. Otherwise, the jacket I received is exactly what I wanted--a nice, comfortable, and in my opinion attractive, leather jacket that I can use as a jacket and not as a costume item.

That being said, it's still too soon to tell how well the Novapelle leather will hold up over the years. As I mentioned above it's nice and soft, but it's anything but water resistant; in fact, I think it tends to absorb water rather than repel it. I've been told horse hide is the best leather for a jacket if you want it to last forever, so if that's true it's clear that goat or cow hide won't last as long. My guess is it's a matter of the wearer's preferences and why you're wearing the jacket in the first place. I wouldn't recommend it for motorcyclists looking for something to protect them from road rash, but for a casual "wear almost anywhere" jacket it does the job nicely.

Zombie:

How is the thickness of the leather? Can you compare it directly to any other manufacturers leather? Is it thinner than Aero's medium weight leathers?

galopede

One of the Regulars
Pics?

Sounds like your experience is the same as my own with Wested's Indy. :)

No pics yet Edward. As I mentioned, my son has run off to Adelaide with the SD card from my camera!

Plenty of photos on the Wested site though. Not sure what you'd call the colour, dark seal? Very dark brown.

I am happy with the fit but it wasn't made for me so doesn't fit like a glove. Fits well enough for me though. The measurements they gave were accurate and I am happy, especially at the price!

Gareth

Edward

Bartender
No pics yet Edward. As I mentioned, my son has run off to Adelaide with the SD card from my camera!

Plenty of photos on the Wested site though. Not sure what you'd call the colour, dark seal? Very dark brown.

I am happy with the fit but it wasn't made for me so doesn't fit like a glove. Fits well enough for me though. The measurements they gave were accurate and I am happy, especially at the price!

Gareth

Jings, yes - you got a great deal. I'd agree with your assessment of the colour - dark seal is what I'd call it too. While Ford wore his in a variety of ways depending on which film it was, the standard cut of these is relatively boxy (let's not forget they started with an A2 type, and worked the design up from there, deleting first the knits, then adding the rear vents to facilitate Indy's whip), which makes it a fairly forgiving cut imo. All about the drape, really.

To my eye, fwiw, that dark colour is a really good match for what I see on screen. The goat version is unlikely to show significant wear and tear the way some folks want, but all the same I prefer it that way for what I want. At the price, though, I'm awful tempted to get another one in one of the 'jazzier' hides like the battered cow or horse, just for the look... It's a wodnerfully practical travel jacket with those big pokets on the front and the two internal ones inside. Certainly has me thinking about pocketsl ike that on a halfbelt or similar (back to the Aero Royale), this time from pov of a practical jacket as distinct from specifically an Indy.

Brettafett

One Too Many
I had a lamb Wested raiders a while back. It was a nice jacket, quality seemed decent enough. it was lighter and thinner than my ELC RW A-2 at the time, but then that would be obvious. Wested have different leather options, you have to speak to them about what they have. They have a horse which is pretty robust, but does lack character. But that will come with wear. I have seen some really 'lively' Wested jacket pics after guys have worn them in.
Agree, a custom is the way to go, although an off the rack would be the best £ $ deal.
Not in the ELC< GW< AERO< BK arena, but for the price, convenience, service and return policy, I would give them another go...

Zombie:

How is the thickness of the leather? Can you compare it directly to any other manufacturers leather? Is it thinner than Aero's medium weight leathers?
Not a decent leather jacket manufacturer, no.

I have only two other leather jackets. The first is a Wilson's "biker" jacket that I bought in the mid-80s, truly a "mall jacket", so take this for what it's worth. As far as I can tell the thicknesses are about the same. The Wilson's leather might be a little thinner, but feels stiffer. I never really wore it often enough to thoroughly break it in, and eventually outgrew it so I haven't worn it for the last 20 years or so.

The other jacket has no manufacturer labels, and I have no idea how old it is. I borrowed it from a friend one night years ago, and he told me to keep it because he rarely wore it. He said it had been passed around from friend to friend for quite some time, and it's really weathered. The leather is still in pretty good condition--no holes, tears, or dry spots--but the lining is worn and torn in a few places. In fact, when he loaned it to me he advised me to search it thoroughly just to be sure he hadn't left any "illegal substances" in it because he used to hide them in the lining. Anyway, because of it's current condition and lack of manufacturer identification it would be useless to compare it to my Wested, but even with all of the "abuse" I'm pretty sure it was a higher-end jacket.

Hammerklavier

One of the Regulars
506020d7d1f51df4eff89e223f284b55.jpg
2c5ca2c847b72d6521fdc3591614d342.jpg

My Wested Last Crusade jacket, distressed by myself

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21