Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The King Of Jazz

CharlieH.

One Too Many
One of my favourite websites is the Red Hot Jazz Archive, which not only holds a massive collection of classic jazz, but also has this:

http://www.redhotjazz.com/kingofjazz.html

A guy at a classic cartoon forum pointed out this site featuring clips from the 1930 musical King Of Jazz- Starring Paul Whiteman and his orchestra. Among the films notable features are Bing Crosby's film debut, not-so-early two-tone Technicolor cinematography, the first Technicolor cartoon (made by Walter Lantz) and the most bizarre dance I've seen in my life! (Check Al Norman's performance on the Happy Feet number!). There you have it.

(and, no, I am not affiliated with this site at all)

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
It is a great site.

The King Of Jazz really should be seen on film as the two tone technicolor doesn't survive very well in the transfer the Archive has posted... in fact the film is sliced into bits and looks muddy, like it was shot on a webcam. Still,, if it's the only way to see the movie, what can you do. I haven't seen it come through the reps or the Cinematheque here for years.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
whenever I need a break I head for redhotjazz! It is a never ending treasure trove. And yes, HAPPY FEET is hot hot hot!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart