Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The lack of Pedestrian culture in America

moustache

Practically Family
ShooShooBaby said:
i live in a city where it's very, very easy to get around without a car. i bike almost everywhere i go, and take public transportation when i don't. i get very frustrated without my bike though - i can usually get places 15-30 min faster by bike than by bus/lightrail!

needless to say, i do a lot of walking, too.

and, uh, to tie this in with the golden era, i am fascinated by the amount of streetcar lines this city used to have. i can totally imagine where they went too, by the small bursts of storefronts here and there.

I agree with ShooShoobaby here.Portland has really developed a wonderful streetcar/lightrail line.If you live in Portland it is a delight.If you live north though,forget it.I live in Vancouver where a car is almost necessary as the cost is too high to get to Portland.It costs almost $5 to get to downtown Portland(one way).And since there is no lightrail all the way,part is by bus.It takes me 10 minutes by car vs 1 hour bus/train combo.
And even with gas at $3.25,it is still less expensive.And time is valuable.I don't want to spend part of it going through bad parts of town either.

The drawback here also is that so many millions have been spent on rail systems that nothing has been done with existing roads and repair.or widening.Thats a conundrum as the buses use the roads lol
So pedestrian America is a delight in big cities but elsewhere,i will use my car.

Europe has done so well with public transportation.It is easier to do with each country only having to look after 10 to 30 million people.We have a very large country with over 300 million now.Just not easy to do.

Whew.Ok.I'm done. :p

JD

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Twitch did a wonderful summation a couple of posts ago. This country is so large and has such variations in population density (and local culture) that one solution simply doesn't fit all.

To me, that's no reason that public transportation should not be fully supported in areas where it CAN suceed.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Twitch said:
After an interesting romp that I've enjoyed reading here the fact remains that there are more areas in the US than fewer where public transportation will never work. Relative to the total number of municipalities on the map there are but a handfull where anything beyond an car actually functions as designed.

We may tout NYC, Chicago, Seattle or whatnot as having no need for a car due to great public transit but the vast majority of semi-rural areas, towns, and even smaller cities can't function without autos.

As Pilgrim mentions there is no way to get from Ft. Collins to Denver without a car, period. And that scenario is repeated myriad times throughout the country to various degrees depending on the geography.

There are innumberable locales in the US where public transpotation has never existed, is not feasible due to cost, and never will exist. Sure, we can demonize the auto but for most folks it fulfills the requirements of convenient, reliable transportation in this country that could not be replicated by any means.
th_arg-green-car.gif

What you say is true, but it is a little deceptive (not our intent I know) to use this to imply that a majority do not have access to public transit. Don't forget that the density of these cities means that there are still many people who can use them.

Just like voting populations, red state blue state and all. A map of the states would suggest that most americans are red, but the density of the few blue states evens the odds.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Huh, Amtrack and Greyhound both runs buses from Ft. Collins to Denver. They cost $17-18 each way, but they'll get you there (their schedule may be a problem though). It is slightly more expensive than gas for a large SUV, but you don't have to drive.

However, this thread is about pedestrians, not trains, as nice as they are. You can't walk the 70 or so miles between those cities, walking is for people who live or work nearby to where they want to go. All the same, when did people ever walk distances like that? The 1800's maybe.

Despite the 80's song, there are lots of people that do walk in Los Angeles. I usually pass at least half a dozen per block here in San Pedro while driving to work, less if weather is bad. I live in a rather poor area, close to the business district, so walking is the only option for most of the people I pass (which doesn't explain why I can't park in my neighborhood). Plus, once you actually find parking, you have to walk to where ever you are going. ;)

I've walked to work once in a while, but I am always late, so I rarely have time to walk, plus going home is literally all up hill-and a fairly steep one at that.

I don't know about the new "walking developments" in your areas, but I've noticed that retail space in the new apartment buildings is usually vacant, even a few years after they were built.

On the other hand, there are areas that do have plenty of pedestrians, for instance in nearby Long Beach, CA -2nd St is usually packed with people on foot, day and night. You just have to have businesses that people really want to go to (near homes helps too, like 2nd St--or downtown LA's Little Tokyo) and the pedestrians will come.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Tourbillion said:
You can't walk the 70 or so miles between those cities, walking is for people who live or work nearby to where they want to go. All the same, when did people ever walk distances like that? The 1800's maybe.

My grandfather and his brother walked from Oklahoma to southern Missouri--I forget the distance and the purpose of the trip, but it was several days' trek. This would have been c. 1915.

Elaina

One Too Many
I walked from Oklahoma City to Tulsa. I HAD to, and it was a few days worth of walking. Not the bst way to get around, but it can be done.

I also one rode my bike from the Woodlands, TX (just north of Houston) home to Waxahachie, some 300 miles in 4 days (I took my time).

anabolina

A-List Customer
Wow, I don't think I'd want to walk that far.

I too miss the trains in Germany. It was great to not have to worry about traffic and just work on other things. But I live just South of Dallas and we just a few months ago got a DART stop that stops a couple miles away, twice a day. Anyway, I work in Mesquite and they don't really have any sort of public transport.

Even more than the trains of Germany, I miss Worland, WY. Of course, it had no public transport, but it was reasonably small so I lived within walking distance of 2 grocery stores, work, church, utility companies, downtown, post office: yes basically anything I needed. The only reason I needed to drive was to vistit people who lived out of town and to go to nearby towns, like Cody, to visit the Walmart. :smiles dreamily: I miss Wyoming, but when I really consider eveything, I'm just as happy to drive my car.

Technonut

Practically Family
In my younger days, I took the "shoeleather express" all the way across the country and back on two occasions. Of course my thumb took up a lot of the slack... ;) Still MANY miles of walking though. I remember how eerie it was in the middle of the night across Texas... NOT A SOUL for MILES... All that I could see was the light of fires burning from gas or oil wells in the distance... :eek:

I really experienced this country by taking those trips. Sadly, I would not recommend traveling in that manner today though..... :(

Tourbillion

Practically Family
You guys knock me out with your tales of long walks. I do believe you but...

It somehow vaguely reminds me of my dad saying that he used to walk 5 miles each way to school in the snow. Barefoot no doubt, and uphill both ways! Though he did wear shorts or plus fours until high school-when he got his first pair of long pants, that must have been kinda chilly in the snow!

Except, that my grandma finked on him and said he used to hitch a ride from a teacher that lived next door.

lol

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Technonut said:
In my younger days, I took the "shoeleather express" all the way across the country and back on two occasions. Of course my thumb took up a lot of the slack... ;) Still MANY miles of walking though. I remember how eerie it was in the middle of the night across Texas... NOT A SOUL for MILES... All that I could see was the light of fires burning from gas or oil wells in the distance... :eek:

I really experienced this country by taking those trips. Sadly, I would not recommend traveling in that manner today though..... :(

That's kind of like driving through Wyoming. People in cars wave at each other as they pass, which is every few hours or so.

BTW, I like your avatar.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
lol I figured out that it is possible to walk uphill both ways if you take the circular route and it happens to be, um, uphill both ways. It was bugging me. lol The other job I walked to was also a mile away and that was in high-heeled boots. ;) I live in a bad neighborhood so sometimes it was like an episode of NYPD Blue but without the nudity. Poor areas really don't have good services so I'm glad I have a car to use now.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Concerning my not owning a car (don't need one)...I've been told by some that I'm lucky. On the downside I can't get dates because women want a guy with a car.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Quigley Brown said:
Concerning my not owning a car (don't need one)...I've been told by some that I'm lucky. On the downside I can't get dates because women want a guy with a car.

"Well, listen baby. My car, uh, doesn't exist, so..."

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Best damn walk I ever took was the Stanley Park Seawall in Vancouver in August. 6 miles beginning to end, sparkling sights, bracing air, and right in town. Can you beat it?

One of the worst was one mile, over gravel, in a suit and A-E Broadstreet spectators, carrying a saxophone case. I was playing a craft fair and my ride couldn't meet me any closer.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
Technonut said:

my dad hitchhiked in the 60s and ended up in a bodycast due to a car accident. [huh] how many times did i hear that story growing up! i haven't hitchhiked or picked up people on the road, but i have met some interesting folks and shared gas expenses by finding passengers on craigslist!

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Technonut said:

Even when I was young, about twentyyears ago, you cold get rides from aging hippies, old men who used to hitch after the war, occasional yuppie types but not often, mostly ones that usd to be hippie types, working guys, and various and sundry working class individuals and such.

THese days, I suspect people are too frightened by the media to ever want to give a guy a lift. Met many cool people that way though. I suppose you still will, but not as often will you get a ride.

If you were hitching on back roads I suppose it would still be okay, but freeways are tough.

I think there used to be atime in this country when it was common for all types. Now only the down and out hitch so people assume you are donw and out and not someone they wnat in their car.

Of course, if you are maybe a german student with a sign to that effect, you would probably get good reception.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
BegintheBeguine said:
lol I figured out that it is possible to walk uphill both ways if you take the circular route and it happens to be, um, uphill both ways. It was bugging me. lol The other job I walked to was also a mile away and that was in high-heeled boots. ;) I live in a bad neighborhood so sometimes it was like an episode of NYPD Blue but without the nudity. Poor areas really don't have good services so I'm glad I have a car to use now.

When I was 4, and they tested my IQ to get me into kindergarten early, they sked me if you could walk down hill to a place, then downhill somewhere else then downhill home or some such silly question. I assume the answer was no cause I got into the class.

So, not to call your IQ into question, but.... :)

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Quigley Brown said:

It is all about attitude.

Of course, you could always go for the total alcoholic loser who needs aride everywhere schtick. SOme women find that irresistable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy