Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The League of German Girls – Bund Deutscher Mädel

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Yes, it was since 1936. I did interviews with 2 nice old ladies and the told me some stories about it. One of them just went there for a short time. She was told she wouldn't find a job if she refused. So she went there and did quit as soon as she found a apprenticeship.
The other lady had some tricks to stay away from the meetings. She often pretended to be sick or visit some relatives. It worked. She never had big trouble. Both of them were very honest. They didn't pretend they were anywhere near the real "resistance". They just didn't want to go because they found it rather dull. The interviews were part of my research for the topic "Swing in Germany" . SO maybe this had an influence in their attitude towards the BDM. But again they didn't see themselves as victims or even heros. They were more naive and just cared for typical teenager things. Music, dancing, boys...

Are you still doing research on 'Swing in Germany'? A few years back I met with a 'swing kid' from Kiel. He told me his stories of life in Kiel (and later Lubeck) and the fashion/styles adopted by him and his fellow 'Swing Kids'. One fascinating story was about how they would go to a barber they knew to be a communist: he would happily leave their hair longer. If they went to Nazi barbers they would have their heads all but shaved. If you are still researching the subject and interested in contacting him I could try to get his details. Let me know.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, I heard about the haicut stories too. I have finished my little book (it's more personal mthan scientific) but I would still like to learn more about it. Thank you very much :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW