Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look of Summer, 1938

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Found a neat article on summer beauty in one of my vintage magazines. Here are a few tidbits from it--wish they had included color swatches!

"Summertime brings out bright colors, reds, oranges, vivid blues and greens. The brunette can wear the redhead's pet blues and greens, as well her own reds, oranges and yellows. All this brilliance calls for makeup that is bright in tone, but casual in appearance. A vermillion lipstick, a waterproof mascara in black or blue. Blondes and redheads will be wise to darken their pale lashes with brown mascara, making it look natural. Lipstick, for the blonde, should be toned down, too. She should choose the new pastel or raspberry (or even one of the new strawberry or true red lipsticks) and the titian should color her lips a sunny warm lacquer red. All of our bathing beauties should choose nail polish shades (for those ten pretty fingers and ten pretty toes) which harmonize well with their lipsticks. No bathing beauty is going to be fashion right for summer 1938 if her fingernails are not long and bright. And her toenails must match her fingers in brilliance. Bright toenails will focus attention on feet that open shoes are all too willing to reveal, so the beauty wise girl will see to it that hers are in the pink of condition."

MissTayva

Oh, you and your vintage magazines! :rolleyes:

You know what I've noticed... some of today's makeup trends, lately anyway, seem to be borrowing upon the late 1930s (eyeshadow colors to match the eyes, mascara shades, etc). I was shopping around for makeup and pastel pinks and raspberry shades seem to be the hot thing now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy