Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Lounge's Best Vintage Suit Seller

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
:eusa_doh: That's bad. What do they do now? Selling vintage? Reproductions? Writing in blogs?

Some of them now have their own blogs and/or still buy and sell vintage here and there. Meanwhile, there's a great guy in New York City who is very rapidly becoming a 'super-expert' --just the person to pass the torch to-- but he is not an active Lounger and has no interest in becoming one, unfortunately. It's frustrating. :(

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I am no expert, I am an enthusiast with no real desire to be an expert: I know what I like and this is good place to get answers about things that I see and like. I don't need to know how to date a suit to within two years, I am just glad there are people out there willing to take the time to answer questions and offer hints if they don't know the answers.

On the question of experts who are jaded and find no need to visit the forum I would offer the example of Herringbone Kid who posted in this thread a couple of days ago: "i mainly visit now to hopefully find fresh examples of features on suits (and other garments) i've never seen before"
Then on Friday I posted an example of a jacket on the 'Show us their suits' thread. The curious sleeve design (a mix between a normal sleeve and a raglan) was something he had never seen before. Thus proving the point that, even for the experts, its never too late to learn something new. And also showing that the enthusiasts have something to offer.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Meanwhile, there's a great guy in New York City who is very rapidly becoming a 'super-expert' --just the person to pass the torch to--

i'm a bit bemused by this 'passing the torch' thing of your's Marc. if you're going to leave the FL because there's nothing more to learn for you here then fair enough. but if an expert does join who you can learn something new from then you won't want to leave.... will you ?

...Thus proving the point that, even for the experts, its never too late to learn something new. And also showing that the enthusiasts have something to offer.

agreed. plus, even a newcomer can make a find of the decade such as the hoard that Enigma1947 stumbled across.

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Discussion groups, whether live, or on line, are begun by fiery individuals committed to the topic(s) at hand. Like-minded people discover and join in. As time passes, less and less percentage of the new joiners are as 'knowledgeable' as the more established members. Eventually, there are so many people, of various levels of both expertise and interest, that the discussions become diluted, and off-topic.

Human nature being what it is, older, original members begin to drift away either because of just being around too long, or the effects of the group growth outlined above.

It's just human nature. I've seen it happen many times, in various different media, as well as live.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Then there was the Lounger called "Enigma1947". Another up-and-comer with huge promise. Quick learner, lots of enthusiasm, thoughtful posts. Shared with us a wonderful trove of suits that he'd stumbled across:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...mp-Sportcoats-amp-Vests.-One-of-my-best-finds!

And then ... nothing. After only 36 posts, Enigma1947 skipped town.

Since 2008, we've not only lost some of our 'best and brightest' Loungers in terms of Golden Era menswear ... we've also not lured in an equivalent number of Loungers to replace them. I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out how to do so, but so far I've come up with no solutions. I feel increasingly like Don Quixote, a relic from another era around here.

Even in 2008, in the body of the Enigma1947 thread, someone posted:

'I miss the days when people would be posting stuff like this weekly, even daily!' So what you, Marc, are not happy with in your observation here, has been going on for over 3 years.

Blackjack

One Too Many
I think you joined shortly after I did Marc, and from experience I can say the FL is a wonderful place to come back to. Ya got to step away for a while, every once in a while, and you'll feel much better about things.

Enigma1947

Familiar Face
Then there was the Lounger called "Enigma1947". Another up-and-comer with huge promise. Quick learner, lots of enthusiasm, thoughtful posts. Shared with us a wonderful trove of suits that he'd stumbled across:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...mp-Sportcoats-amp-Vests.-One-of-my-best-finds!

And then ... nothing. After only 36 posts, Enigma1947 skipped town.

Since 2008, we've not only lost some of our 'best and brightest' Loungers in terms of Golden Era menswear ... we've also not lured in an equivalent number of Loungers to replace them. I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out how to do so, but so far I've come up with no solutions. I feel increasingly like Don Quixote, a relic from another era around here.

Several of us old timers are tuckered out and would like to be able to pass the torch, but we don't know who the heck to pass it to.

Hello Marc Chevalier (and others!)

I am extremely grateful that you mentioned some of my previous posts in this current thread. As a serious (but broke!) collector I have admired your knowledge, attention to detail and, above all, your passion! I am 28 years old and I have been obsessed with the 1930’s, 1940’s and early 50’s since I was a young child, listening to Benny Goodman at my grandmother’s house and rummaging through her old family photos on weekends. She would tell me stories about my grandfather, who was taken prisoner by the Japanese and imprisoned for over three years. He was one of those swept up in the infamous Bataan death march. Unfortunately, he passed before I was born. When she passed in 1998, my interest in this era only grew, as if I was trying to capture some part of their past. When I was in the ninth grade, I had an epiphany. Why couldn’t I wear clothes from the 30’s or 40’s? I must admit that at the time I had never even heard the term vintage. So, I began studying and seeking out vintage pieces. While my friends were off at the mall, I would sit for hours at a time, peering through old photographs and advertisements. I began wearing vintage wool slacks and gabardine shirts to school. The girls loved it; the guys wanted to kick my a$$! As the years went by my passion only grew. I came to the realization that it was something I couldn’t live without. I purchased a lot of pieces over the years (especially when I first started collecting). However, I can now admit that at the time I knew absolutely nothing about proper fit, suitable colors, etc.
Years went by and I discovered The Fedora Lounge. I was shocked that there were people who shared the same passion. When I joined the Fedora Lounge I might have been a “newbie”, but I was certainly no newcomer. The more I lurked, the more I learned. I came to the harsh realization that as great as some of my items were, they simply did not look good on me. So, I began selling off a lot of my cherished pieces. I am almost embarrassed to say what my collection has been dwindled down to (let’s just say it’s a fraction of what it was). However, as my collection shrank, my passion only intensified (as if that were possible). I am a recent college graduate and between repaying student loans, car insurance, trying to save up to buy a more reliable vehicle and the ever-rising price of good vintage items, it has become increasingly difficult for me to rebuild my collection with items of proper fit.
Echoing the concerns of many here, as the years go by we must brace ourselves for the day when there is nothing left. However, as the wells dry up and the demand amongst serious collectors increases, I am sure that we will see some amazing reproductions come to light. This is where I must applaud your work on the “Duke Shirt” for Re-Vamp- a great reproduction indeed! Although I can’t afford them at the moment, I look forward to having some made in the future. I am growing increasingly impressed with some of the work done by Matt Deckard Apparel (although his suit thread seems to have gone dark as well). I think his work is very close to being perfect. While I mourn for the day when great vintage pieces become impossible to find, I look forward to the day of more great reproductions.
Though I am very busy trying to build my career in the film industry (as a writer, director, etc.), I simply have had little time to write worthy enough posts. However, I now want to make a pledge to offer as much help as I can in the pursuit of our collective passion. I am certainly going to start posting again… very soon.
Well, I hope you didn’t mind the rant. Since I was so impressed and flattered with the fact that you dug up an old thread of mine, I felt compelled to offer you an explanation as to my “absence”. I also wanted to make it understood that this lifestyle is certainly no fad for me; it is something that has dug itself deep into my heart and will stay there till the end. It is something that I hope my own children will appreciate and carry on. As two collectors living in the Los Angeles area, I’m sure that we will bump into each other in the future. Thanks again!

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
I'm no vintage clothes expert, but I must say after 2 1/2 years of being a Fedora Lounge member my knowledge of vintage clothing has sky rocketed. 2 years ago, I would just go to a vintage store and look for what the store labeled as '20s-'50s, but thanks to spending time browsing the lounge and learning from the real experts, I've come to a point where I seldom look at the price/info label before scanning the garment itself. It makes shopping in goodwill stores much easier knowing what I was looking for. Even without union tags I've learned how to date clothing by cut, style, fabric, vents, liner and even lapel buttonholes. Whenever I go vintage shopping with friends, I'm always at hand to tell them what era the garment they're interested in is from. I don't feel ready yet to be passed the torch from the real experts just yet, but I'm very grateful for this forum and my fellow loungers and the information they've given me.

Last edited:

nihil

One of the Regulars
I must say that this forum is great because of the unique subject being talked about, without it turning into a cliché for a certain subculture (rockabilly, ww2 reenactment, etc.), but instead cater to a broad audience.
What I really enjoy, is when people show off their acquisitions, those pictures are a great inspiration to me. I learn a lot from period photographs, pictures of period garments, and the great knowledge that so many persons here got. It's been extremely inspiring.
I'm quite tall and slim myself, and can find very little original clothing from the 40s or earlier. Therefore I rely on 'lookalike' clothing and reproductions. If it hadn't been for this forum I probably would have waled around wearing a 80s suit with a modern fedora, thinking I looked exactly like a guy from the 30s. But no, through this forum, I've learned a lot. I still wear 80s vintage suits and modern fedoras, just because I like the clothes, but I don't kid myself to believe it's period accurate. Not that I go for that in my everyday wear anyway...but on some occasions I do.
The point also being raised elsewhere in this thread, that the 'vintage well' is drying up, resonated with my own problem of not being able to find old clothes in my size (it has to be my exact size, as I'm very picky when it comes to the fit). This have led me to consider an opportunity for my company. I'm part owner of a company where we sell reproductions of ww2 uniforms and equipment (German, American and British). Because I already are in the business so to speak, It would be relatively easy to set up a sister company, or extend the range of my current, to sell civilian clothing from the same period. And because of this forum, I've gained so much knowledge in that direction. If I may say it myself, I'm quite an expert on uniforms and equipment from the three nations we resell, but my knowledge of civilian clothing of the same period is till much more limited.
I hope to be able to gain the same level of knowledge through my continued reading on this forum and elsewhere (books, magazines, etc.), and then in the future, begin to make and sell off the peg reproduction 30s and 40s suits and other items of clothing.
Without the great knowledgeable persons like Marc, my readings on this forum would give me much less. And I therefore want to say my thanks to all the experts and also the smaller contributers, even a picture of a period suit can sometimes be of great reward.

samtemporary

One of the Regulars
I know I'm still rather new, but I've learned a tremendous amount - there's so much information flying about that it's hard to keep my head straight! I sincerely hope no one leaves!

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
This have led me to consider an opportunity for my company. I'm part owner of a company where we sell reproductions of ww2 uniforms and equipment (German, American and British). Because I already are in the business so to speak, It would be relatively easy to set up a sister company, or extend the range of my current, to sell civilian clothing from the same period. And because of this forum, I've gained so much knowledge in that direction. If I may say it myself, I'm quite an expert on uniforms and equipment from the three nations we resell, but my knowledge of civilian clothing of the same period is till much more limited.

Best of luck with that. If you do go ahead, it would be ideal to collaborate with someone with a genuine knowledge of the clothing of the period. And also to handle as many genuine suits as possible, to get the feel of the weight.
Best of luck and keep us informed of any progress.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Enigma1947, GoldenEraFan, nihil and samtemporary: Thank you for your stories. I think there is still much passion about this subject. Times changed and it is harder to find vintage suits in exellent conditions. It just goes slower and needs more patience. However there are many members who continue to love the style of the golden era.

Undertow

Maybe we do.

Perhaps a category titled Technical Aspects, with sub-categories like Suits, Hats, Shoes, Dresses, Shirts, etc.

Rather than the high-level threads we have now, which scratch the surface of a subject and introduce folks into the vintage lifestyle, the Technical threads could be highly detail oriented with threads discussing stitching techniques, pocket placement, etc.

The Technical threads could literally become a wiki of sorts for those interested in passing on, or sharing very detailed information.

Is this what you had in mind?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
In recent months, I've been asking some of the missing FL 'experts' why they haven't returned. Here's a frequent reply: "Because so many other experts are gone and haven't returned." In other words, the lack of experts (either departed or new) stops other departed experts from returning (and, presumably, other new experts from even joining in). It also discourages the few who remain, leading them –in some cases– to “abandon ship”. A domino effect for sure.

Marc, you have asked others why they have left, however the question I would ask you is this, why have you remained when so many others have gone?

Undertow

Marc, you have asked others why they have left, however the question I would ask you is this, why have you remained when so many others have gone?

I recall Marc having left twice since I've been here; once for a slightly extended period. (I was quite pleased to see him posting again, incidentally. ;)) I've also noticed a few others who have left but come back, or at least partially; e.g. Baron, HBK, etc.

In fact, there's an entire thread devoted to people who have left.
Missing Loungers Whom You Miss.

Unfortunately, the nature of the intrawebz necessarily means there are some Loungers whom we may never see again. There have been Loungers that have passed away, or moved away, or just got plain fed-up and left.

The Lounge is very much a community built on the pursuit of "vintage". I think the pendulum has swung more towards the community aspect in recent years. Not a bad thing, not complaining, just not as useful for some of us, perhaps.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
There is the "Gentlemen, show us what you've made!" thread for members who dabble in making their own garments.

The thread is a place for male FLoungers to show and discuss projects, both sewing and otherwise, as a counterpart to the ladies thread in the Powder Room. I think the idea would be a place to post questions about and discuss tailoring and related topics, and perhaps the making and construction of other elements of Golden Era material culture.

On a related note, the discussion of vintage tailoring seems to be actively discouraged on the Cutter and Tailor forum as it's been deemed 'costumey' and of little or no value for modern fashion tailoring, so the FL could concievably be a place for people interested in late 19th and early 20th century tailoring to discuss it.

Gene

Practically Family
I've learned a whole bunch about vintage clothing since I got on this site. As a collector far away from either coast, the pickings here, though at times can be slim, are still good. On a good week I can stop by 3 or 4 thrift stores and find at least 2 things worth having. I don't post pictures here often because my camera is pretty terrible and I seem to suck at getting anything resembling good lighting, but rest assured my closet has grown by leaps and bounds since I started my collection. I went from 3 vintage ties to around 100 now.
tumblr_lx8ihv6u9p1r7s6tdo1_500.jpg

I can now recognize tell-tale signs that a garment is from a specific decade and know what to look for, I can identify styles and cloths, and this is all due to you guys here at the Lounge. I still have so much more to learn and learn something new nearly everyday, so please, to all of you "old salts" around here, keep going dropping the knowledge!!!!

Justin B

One Too Many
Hmm...Slicedbread listed himself as being from Murphy, TX...which is where I am currently sitting. It's a VERY small town. Bet I can figure out who he is and see what's going on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo