Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Real Deal? Belt-Back Vintage Suit and Sportcoats...

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
OK, Folks...

I finally got a chance to put my hands on my inventory this afternoon, and I liked what I saw. (For background, see this thread - http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=26205)

I found several suits and sport coats with belted backs, and they seem to meet all of the requirements dating to the 1940's discussed in other threads, but I'm not certain that the styles fit within the specific era.

I didn't have time to take good photos, but I think these photos will get the point across. I'm going back to the warehouse on Saturday to take detailed photos, but I thought it would be helpful to show these photos, so I can make sure I know what to look for.

Please take a look and let me know if they are the REAL DEAL...

Blue Pinstripe, with peak lapels:
IMG_0523.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

Tweed Sport Coat:
IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
johnnyphi said:
Please take a look and let me know if they are the REAL DEAL...

Well. No. I don't think they are. The tweed is probably the nicer of the two as a Norfolk-style, but they're both recent. The pinstripe is rather a composite. Oversized flaps, crowded buttons, odd lapels.

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
ok... this is where I really need your help...

I've got BOXES and BOXES of clothes... These didn't look exactly right to me, either, but everyone always talks about belted backs and tweeds on here... so, it's tough to figure out what is the real deal.

I agree that the lapel is weird on the blue pinstripe, but... I don't know what is vintage vs. weird. that's where you guys come in...

These 2 particular items weren't the first I grabbed from the pile.

This was the first... but it's hard to see details, since it's draped over other suits...

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
For these particular suits...

My first thought was that the pockets are weird... they seem seventies, but the tweed is definitely old school, so...

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
i don't understand what you mean by 'the real deal'. Everything you have shown so far are recent or even current styles, in some places if not in the eastern US. If you mean, 'are they old?' the answer is probably not. If you mean, 'are they good quality?' it's hard to tell from a photograph, but the signs are good.

Alan

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Lesson Learned...

OK... So, it seems like y'all are saying that these jackets are 60's or 70's vintage[huh] , and it's just a coincidence that the navy suit has a belted back. This is helpful because these suits were hanging with other suits that appear to be more recent. Now, I'll be able to date groups of suits, and work from there. I think they were generally hanging in groups of the same time period.

I'm trying to learn as much about this as I can because I'm going to the warehouse on Saturday, and I want to target the oldest/best items. I plan to identify those items and set them aside so I can make sure they are well protected.

By "real deal", I mean 30s, 40s, 50s, and possibly 60s vintage suits. All of my suits are "real", and 90% are older than I am.

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Good clues...

Rooster said:
The print on the lining instantly points to late 60's early 70's.

Good Clue... Thanks. I spoke to the owner yesterday, and he gave me some good information about the suits. He said the store completely sold out of suits during WWII, so none of my suits will date back before the war. Some will date back to the late 40's. A few more will go back to the 50's. Several from the early 60's, and a TON from the 70's. By the way... Everything has tags. Does anyone know how to decipher the various codes and types of tags?

Here's another example of a suit coat, that appears to be older. Note the older union label, and even the older hanger. I don't have a photo of the back, but it's just a single vent.

DSC00636.jpg

DSC00637.jpg

DSC00638.jpg

Jay

Practically Family
That last jacket is the "real deal" like you say. I've found that skeleton linings are often the easiest way to identify them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters