Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The main Raiders mod - is never made.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Clearly not every one round here, no (though perhaps ironically TFL started off as a spin off from an Indy board, in effect). It can't have been the first thing I ever saw a fedora in, though in an era when you would never have seen a fedora worn where I grew up, it definitely was the first thing where I really noticed the hat. My brown Fed Deluxe is still one of my most worn fedoras, though I've never gone for the olive oil route.... (what's that for, aging? staining?) My favourite Indy looks were, in the main, his classroom suits. No doubt that was a big subconscious influence when I started wearing bow ties other than black or white tie events.

Definitely not the first thing I ever saw a fedora in, either. I grew up with the '4:30 Movie' here in New York, which in the '60s, featured recently old movies, which meant the '30s through the fifties. Lots of fedoras, which I was fascinated by at an early age.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
I'm still not sold on any "cinched" ribbons or extensive mods.

Neither am I. Seems to me that fallacy originated by Indy fans with little knowledge of hats, who tried to emulate the big boxy crowns of the original Raiders hat, with the more tapered crowns of the supposed Indy copies & never understood that buying hats too big & cinching the ribbon to get the billowing volume, isn't necessary when you have a hat with the right dimensions & proportions from the outset.

Edward

Bartender
Definitely not the first thing I ever saw a fedora in, either. I grew up with the '4:30 Movie' here in New York, which in the '60s, featured recently old movies, which meant the '30s through the fifties. Lots of fedoras, which I was fascinated by at an early age.

Yeah, I remember watching a lot of older Hollywood stuff on BBC2 when I was around 6. I didn't see Indy until I was ten (Temple in the cinema was my first experience of Jones - didn't see Raiders til it was on TV on Christmas Day later that year). Some reason it was Jones that made the impression with the hat. Maybe because, it being a retro piece rather than contemporary-set they just made the hat a feature rather than it being "the clothes people wear". Who knows!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, I remember watching a lot of older Hollywood stuff on BBC2 when I was around 6. I didn't see Indy until I was ten (Temple in the cinema was my first experience of Jones - didn't see Raiders til it was on TV on Christmas Day later that year). Some reason it was Jones that made the impression with the hat. Maybe because, it being a retro piece rather than contemporary-set they just made the hat a feature rather than it being "the clothes people wear". Who knows!

Oh, I agree completely, and for the same reasons. The hat was definitely a feature. And being that I was fascinated by the genuine period hats in the period films, the RotLA hat was like a bomb that went off in my head. And tbh, at least around here, pre-RotLA, hats were for old men that never got out of their old ways. Post-RotLA, any man of any age could, and did, start wearing them.

And Raiders did ignite that genre, featuring leading men wearing similar hats, which only added fuel to the fire. So for many (although less, percentage-wise, here), hats on their own heads 'began' with Raiders.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner