Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The main Raiders mod - is never made.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Same here, Jim. While i love vintage hats and the history associated in them, I have no interest in a vintage lifestyle and I love technology. I also rarely venture out of the hat forum.

Oh, I've never watched an Indiana Jones movie, but some of my favorite hats are Indy hats.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Btw, to eradicate any misunderstandings: I got my first 5-string banjo about a year before Deliverance hit the silver screen. I honestly never tried to look like the banjo picking kid!

Yeah, I know ... I know! But believe me, it's all natural and comes from deep within. A matter of natural skills - and a bit of rare genetics :D

Edward

Bartender
You may be having a bit of a Pauline Kael moment. Not everybody internalizes and puts the movies they see on a pedestal. While I have loved the Indy movies and even the Chronicles, it never even crossed my mind that I was "emulating" Indiana Jones when I decided to purchase my first fedora a few years ago. Similarly, many on this forum trace their hat wearing to before Indy was a film, and many credit their fathers or grandfathers for the inspiration. I see more fedoras a blues concerts than anything, indicating an even different sort of inspiration (John Lee Hooker, Jake & Elwood, etc.).

But then, I'm 55...:)

Had to Google Pauline Kael, not heard of her before. Sounds like an interesting character. There was a bit of acknowledge, intentional hyperbole in what I wrote of course.... but I genuinely don't get why some peopel still get so bent out of shape about the idea that a mere film could influence their fashion choices. Does it really matter that much why folks think something looks cool, as long as they enjoy it?

I'm a bit saddened by your extreme faith in your own psychological skills. Especially when you show such a lack of faith in entire generations of hat wearers' ability to think and make informed choices.

See, that's exactly what I was getting at. The way you describe it, you'd think I'd said "anyone who wears a hat is a moron and looks like a dork " (which view - obviously - I don't subscribe to). Why is it such an insult, the idea that somebody might just think a hat looks cool because some guy wore one in a movie. Or an A2, or a suit, or....? Ultimately.... it's just clothes.

It's "the obsession thing", that makes my eyeballs roll - not "the Indy thing".

That starts to make more sense.... you mean you're not a fan of fandom, as distinct from 'I originally got to think fedoras looked cool bacause I saw a cool one in a movie'? The folks I've encountered who are the get bent out of shape type about it tend to be folks who an't really deal with the idea of sombody doing that, as distinct from their clothes being a grand statement that sets them apart. I love fancy dress myself, though I certainly would draw the line at what some folks are prepared to spend on a specific costume (but then I always found it more fun making my own, so).

Edward

Bartender
Btw, to eradicate any misunderstandings: I got my first 5-string banjo about a year before Deliverance hit the silver screen. I honestly never tried to look like the banjo picking kid!

Yeah, I know ... I know! But believe me, it's all natural and comes from deep within. A matter of natural skills - and a bit of rare genetics :D

I wish I could play like that kid! I'm considering trading in the 5 string I ouldn't get into for a six-string banjo.... bit of a fake, I know, but....

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
See, that's exactly what I was getting at. The way you describe it, you'd think I'd said "anyone who wears a hat is a moron and looks like a dork " (which view - obviously - I don't subscribe to). Why is it such an insult, the idea that somebody might just think a hat looks cool because some guy wore one in a movie. Or an A2, or a suit, or....? Ultimately.... it's just clothes
I'm not sure, what in my "description" you don't understand ... but it's obvious you don't .

That starts to make more sense.... you mean you're not a fan of fandom
You couldn't be more wrong!

I wish I could play like that kid! I'm considering trading in the 5 string I ouldn't get into for a six-string banjo.... bit of a fake, I know, but....
I'm not the least surprised - it's just that, he didn't. He faked!

Eric Weissberg played it. FYI, one of the many people I consider myself a fan of ;)

You see, it's not that I don't like fandom. I just tend to be a fan of real people, that accomplished something admirable ... not imaginable characters or fakes.

That I'm a fan of EW, doesn't mean I play the same brand of instrument, banjo head, strings, picks, etc. I also don't copy his playing. If I did, I wouldn't be playing music ... just reenacting predefined successions of notes.

There's a difference between "letting someone inspire you" and "obsessively copying someone". That's all :)

Had to Google Pauline Kael, not heard of her before. Sounds like an interesting character. There was a bit of acknowledge, intentional hyperbole in what I wrote of course.... but I genuinely don't get why some people still get so bent out of shape about the idea that a mere film could influence their fashion choices. Does it really matter that much why folks think something looks cool, as long as they enjoy it?

Certainly not bent out of shape. Now that's hyperbolic. Just being analytical. And the idea that we all owe our fashion choice to a 1980s popcorn flick is easily disproven by reading through many of these threads. I'm certain some do, and God love 'em for it. But I would hazard a guess that many more have chosen this accessory for entirely different reasons. To me, it holds as much water as claiming JFK killed the hat in 1961. In the entire time I've been regularly wearing a fedora, only one guy has said I reminded him of Indy. My sister calls them "church hats." The point is, though your circle of acquaintance may lionize the IJ films, to most, they are "just a movie.''

Pics please!

Sorry, I only have a photo of Spider-Man version.

Picture17.jpg

RJR

Certainly not bent out of shape. Now that's hyperbolic. Just being analytical. And the idea that we all owe our fashion choice to a 1980s popcorn flick is easily disproven by reading through many of these threads. I'm certain some do, and God love 'em for it. But I would hazard a guess that many more have chosen this accessory for entirely different reasons. To me, it holds as much water as claiming JFK killed the hat in 1961. In the entire time I've been regularly wearing a fedora, only one guy has said I reminded him of Indy. My sister calls them "church hats." The point is, though your circle of acquaintance may lionize the IJ films, to most, they are "just a movie.''

View attachment 52356
:eek:

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here

View attachment 52356
YEESSSSSSSSSSSSS! Thank you for that!

3thoubucks

New in Town
I ordered a new Miller "Harrison" open crown fedora yesterday, it should be the same size as the old Lock. I will make a slick conversion presentation for you. I like the red color of the Miller. I had this hat 14 years ago. I re blocked it on a homemade block, looking to get a roomier crown, and the brim ended up being an inch and a half wide.

There are a lot of musicians here. Electric guitar necks are too narrow for me. I ground off the fret board on my Epi Les Paul, bought a Warmoth 7 string neck, ground off the maple and glued the fingerboard onto the LP. Not a chord I can't play clean now. I just needed to "Go Big" with fedoras and necks.

Saw this in the grocery store today.
ivy-doomkitty-cover-sc.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner