Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The main Raiders mod - is never made.

3thoubucks

New in Town
This was a rescue hat. Buy it now $45, and sat on ebay for a week. ... Nobody wanted it. It's filthy, sweat stained. Probably would have gone for $5 at a garage sale next month if I hadn't snagged it.
You'd think decoding the Raiders hat would trigger some kind of world cataclysm, like a Raiders booby-trap... There was that EU thing ..

Last edited:

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Maybe if it had been a successful makeover & you explained better just what you were trying to achieve, there wouldn't have been such a strong reaction. :rolleyes:

E.U.... what's that ??? :D

3thoubucks

New in Town
Maybe if it had been a successful makeover & you explained better just what you were trying to achieve, there wouldn't have been such a strong reaction. :rolleyes:

E.U.... what's that ??? :D
Thanks. I'll do a better presentation. Thanks for the advice. I actually think I need to go up a size, then again, this hat's felt is like tar paper, and maybe there's some taper.

E.U , I think is like H.J

Last edited:

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Not to argue but a lot of your theories are easily disputed with a little bit of research. I think makers like Penman and adVintage have the specs down and it shows in their work. Taking a 60-70 year old Lock and Co and trying to morph it into something it isn't is a bummer for loungers to see who would love the hat as is.
AMEN to that!

Corky

Practically Family
Your theories lack a basic understanding of Hollywood costuming. Each movie's wardrobe department probably had a half dozen identical hats for spares (when a hat flies off and gets run over by a truck) and to fit stuntmen with different size heads. Their methods of distressing and blocking hats are easy to find.

Your theories lack a basic understanding of Hollywood costuming. Each movie's wardrobe department probably had a half dozen identical hats for spares (when a hat flies off and gets run over by a truck) and to fit stuntmen with different size heads. Their methods of distressing and blocking hats are easy to find.

This makes way too much sense, and undermines the magic that all the Wannabes see in a costume. Stop it!! :rolleyes:

3thoubucks

New in Town
The stuntmen's hats have a lot of taper. They might be the same hat, buy they aren't Harison's oversized cinched up model. There's a dime size round spot on top the Raiders brim near the edge in front. It looks like they painted some vegetable oil or whatever around the base of the crown to simulate sweat stains, and a big drop landed on the brim, and picked up dust. It's in the idol grab scene and the Truck explosion scene in Cairo.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
He's accurate when it comes to the history of the Fedora Lounge. Those of us around since the beginning of the Lounge know that it was an offshoot of the Club Obi-Wan forum. There was an overall interest in the era beyond that which COW allowed us to discuss, so MK, our founder, created the Lounge to give us an outlet.

I'm always amused when 'vintage' folks get bent out of shape about the Indy thing. I'd be willing to bet that any man between the age of 30 and 50 today who thinks his wearing a fedora has nothing whatever to do woth Indiana Jones is probably tellingporkies, at least to himself. ;)

I can understand. I hate it when westerns are turned into fedoras, or homburgs are turned into fedoras.

Never really botheredme with Westerns - I guess because it's not a style I've ever cared for - but it always seemed a shame with homburgs (those I love). I imagine a lot of the time it's a mnoey thing - you can pick up a great homburg in the UK for £20 any day, but you'd have to add up to another £50 to that if you're looking at a fedora of comparable age and quality. That's market forces for you.

I'm always amused when 'vintage' folks get bent out of shape about the Indy thing. I'd be willing to bet that any man between the age of 30 and 50 today who thinks his wearing a fedora has nothing whatever to do woth Indiana Jones is probably tellingporkies, at least to himself. ;)

You may be having a bit of a Pauline Kael moment. Not everybody internalizes and puts the movies they see on a pedestal. While I have loved the Indy movies and even the Chronicles, it never even crossed my mind that I was "emulating" Indiana Jones when I decided to purchase my first fedora a few years ago. Similarly, many on this forum trace their hat wearing to before Indy was a film, and many credit their fathers or grandfathers for the inspiration. I see more fedoras a blues concerts than anything, indicating an even different sort of inspiration (John Lee Hooker, Jake & Elwood, etc.).

But then, I'm 55...:)

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
You may be having a bit of a Pauline Kael moment. Not everybody internalizes and puts the movies they see on a pedestal. While I have loved the Indy movies and even the Chronicles, it never even crossed my mind that I was "emulating" Indiana Jones when I decided to purchase my first fedora a few years ago. Similarly, many on this forum trace their hat wearing to before Indy was a film, and many credit their fathers or grandfathers for the inspiration. I see more fedoras a blues concerts than anything, indicating an even different sort of inspiration (John Lee Hooker, Jake & Elwood, etc.).

But then, I'm 55...:)
a Pauline Kael moment ... brilliant

and Jim you know as well as I do that no form of hat would even exist if it was not for Indiana Jones ... he taught Jimmy Stewart, Howard Hughes, Frank Sinatra, Spencer Tracy, Tom Landry, Humphrey Bogart, James Cagney and everyone grandfather how to wear theses felt formations on their heads

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I'm a bit saddened by your extreme faith in your own psychological skills. Especially when you show such a lack of faith in entire generations of hat wearers' ability to think and make informed choices.

I don't believe I'm "bent out of shape about the Indy thing". Had OP dressed naked, except for a sailor's shirt and cap, trying to look like a famous movie duck ... I would have wondered as much. It's "the obsession thing", that makes my eyeballs roll - not "the Indy thing".

But then again, I'm the 60+ kinda vintage guy. I need to have faith in my children's and grand children's generations - and hope, they will show other generations some faith and respect :)

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I'm a bit saddened by your extreme faith in your own psychological skills. Especially when you show such a lack of faith in entire generations of hat wearers' ability to think and make informed choices.

I don't believe I'm "bent out of shape about the Indy thing". Had OP dressed naked, except for a sailor's shirt and cap, trying to look like a famous movie duck ... I would have wondered as much. It's "the obsession thing", that makes my eyeballs roll - not "the Indy thing".

But then again, I'm the 60+ kinda vintage guy. I need to have faith in my children's and grand children's generations - and hope, they will show other generations some faith and respect :)

this is why I love you Ole

a Pauline Kael moment ... brilliant

and Jim you know as well as I do that no form of hat would even exist if it was not for Indiana Jones ... he taught Jimmy Stewart, Howard Hughes, Frank Sinatra, Spencer Tracy, Tom Landry, Humphrey Bogart, James Cagney and everyone grandfather how to wear theses felt formations on their heads

Well, c'mon, he was born July 1, 1899, so he obviously inspired these folks. At least to the "literalists" who take the character more seriously than I do. Let's not forget to wish him a Happy Birthday on Friday.

I'm a "different strokes" kind of guy, but I also have a disconnect with those that dress "vintage" or have a "vintage lifestyle" 24/7. We have some very nice folks on here who seem to lean that way, but some of the insistence on not allowing modern technology into your home, etc. mystifies me. Pretty much why I stick to the hat forum...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav