Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The main Raiders mod - is never made.

I like my hat to look like my hat. Long ago I stopped trying to be Batman, too. This all escapes me, somehow.

That's because I am Batman!

Raiders was the best movie that will ever be made, with the best screen hat there will ever be, so.... I could be wrong... but if it wasn't for Raiders, there might not be a Fedora lounge. There certainly wouldn't be a COW.

Nah, bestest movie is undoubtedly "Manos, Hands of Fate." Or maybe Zardoz.

Picture29.jpg

"Would you believe..."Night of the Triffids?"

Raiders was the best movie that will ever be made, with the best screen hat there will ever be, so.... I could be wrong... but if it wasn't for Raiders, there might not be a Fedora lounge. There certainly wouldn't be a COW.

You are correct, threethoubucks, it was a movie. A MOVIE! Not real, except maybe to those that need to live vicariously through others, in which case be careful; unless you have stuntmen.

Enjoy that great lid, sir!!

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
this is highly questionable and I don't agree at all ... with any of it

I hope this is hyperbole

He's accurate when it comes to the history of the Fedora Lounge. Those of us around since the beginning of the Lounge know that it was an offshoot of the Club Obi-Wan forum. There was an overall interest in the era beyond that which COW allowed us to discuss, so MK, our founder, created the Lounge to give us an outlet.

Brad
~The Hatted Professor

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Not to argue but a lot of your theories are easily disputed with a little bit of research. I think makers like Penman and adVintage have the specs down and it shows in their work. Taking a 60-70 year old Lock and Co and trying to morph it into something it isn't is a bummer for loungers to see who would love the hat as is.

What anyone did (way) after Raiders was made does not necessarily disprove anything that happened when Raiders was made. Jussayin'. Steve and John use much better felts than what was used for the original HJ hats, and they made their hats respond the way the originals did via experimentation (although not by tightening the ribbon).

RJR

What anyone did (way) after Raiders was made does not necessarily disprove anything that happened when Raiders was made. Jussayin'. Steve and John use much better felts than what was used for the original HJ hats, and they made their hats respond the way the originals did via experimentation (although not by tightening the ribbon).
Agree.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
He's accurate when it comes to the history of the Fedora Lounge. Those of us around since the beginning of the Lounge know that it was an offshoot of the Club Obi-Wan forum. There was an overall interest in the era beyond that which COW allowed us to discuss, so MK, our founder, created the Lounge to give us an outlet.

Brad
~The Hatted Professor

very interesting

not sure how I feel about that

RBH

Bartender

Brad
~The Hatted Professor
Thanks Brad for bringing this up. Everyone needs to know the origin of the Lounge.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/fedora-lounge-really-growing.4425/

3thoubucks

New in Town
Here's an unworn Akubra Federation 4 next to the Lock. The block shape is nearly identical. You can see the big size difference. I took the new sweatband out of this Federation, size 57. There was a paper tag behind the sweat in the Lock said size 7 3/8, that seems about right because that is 7 1/2 U.S. - only, it also said "Colour- LOCK DK GREY, so the size might not be accurate .
Lockblock_sidesm.jpg
Lockblocksm.jpg

There's an old story that the Raiders hat was purchased by Ford at Lock&Co . http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/lock-co.7110/ The Screenused hat has a Herbert Johnson sweatband but no liner. What if the costumer had all these extra HJs, backups, stunt double hats, and replaced the too big Lock band with a smaller HJ band. That could mean the block that blocked my hat, sat next to THE Raiders block, which would be a size or two bigger.

3thoubucks

New in Town
I was talking about the ribbon, not the sweatband.
This has happened so fast, I haven't described it too well yet. I'm sure 100's of Raiders seekers have cinched their ribbons to one degree or another.

Say you had a hat that was one size too big. You could take out the sweatband, and put your size band inside. The block has taper. The smaller band would slide up into the crown a bit, and stop when it contacted the inner crown. You sew it in right there, and bingo- the hat fits perfect. -That's what I'm doing, in the front and back of the hat. it's more than ribbon cinching that makes the fit tighter.

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
But you could make a "too big" hat fit by cutting the painting into strips and putting them under the sweatband. Problem solved!

I believe that was how it was done in the Indy film - only putting the old master strips around three sides of the hat is what produced the turned look

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
But you could make a "too big" hat fit by cutting the painting into strips and putting them under the sweatband. Problem solved!

I believe that was how it was done in the Indy film - only putting the old master strips around three sides of the hat is what produced the turned look
Haha, I didn't know that, David. Great info right there! :D

Thinking a little more about my own reaction, it may not be the ruining of the hat, that triggers me. Had OP made a lamp or a feeding trough for a hamster out of it, I would probably not have reacted. I guess, it's the wannabe/look-alike thing I can't wrap my head around. Pardon my prejudice ... I think I'll just leave it at this ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav