Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE MALLORY MILE

buler

I'll Lock Up
E.A. Mallory & Sons

Derby just sold on ebay with a great E.A. Mallory & Sons mark on sweatband.

B

mallory_ea_sons_sweat_mark.jpg

theinterchange

One Too Many
Just out of curiosity, my Mallory is "Aristocrat Quality" what does that mean in plain English? Is it about like Stetson and X's or does it really stand for something?

Oh and since I inadvertently deleted the photos from the post when I bought the hat, I'll add a new one on my head.

4980312893_b4039aa661_o.jpg

Randy

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
theinterchange said:
Just out of curiosity, my Mallory is "Aristocrat Quality" what does that mean in plain English? Is it about like Stetson and X's or does it really stand for something?

Actually, in the old days the Stetson Xs did mean something fairly concrete. I have enough old Stetsons to have a good feel for their terms.

But I have only two Mallory fedoras. And they are both Aristocrats. I too would like to know more about what the various Mallory designations might mean.

Maybe someone can direct Randy and I to a previous discussion about this?

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Cane Rod Maker said:
Mario,

It is a PRIMO hat. 50's era. The felt is soooo soft. I could not be more happy. What a finish on the felt!!

Thanks for the compliment!

Hehe...I just found your question regarding the age of that beautiful Mallory in my maibox and wanted to tell you it's from the 50's but you have obviously come up with that answer yourself. Late 50's I'd add. :)

That hat has exactly the color combo I'm out for at the moment. I'd love for it to be a Mallory too once I find it, even though I seem to be utterly out of luck if it comes to finding nice hats. :(

Mallory

Mario,

Yeah, late 50's is correct....

The price tag inside the hat, is that the OPS tag?? Anyway this hat new was priced at $22.50.

Do you have any sales ads from back then; I'd like to see more about this era hat; like if had a name to it...

Thanks Mario !:cheers1:

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Cane Rod Maker said:
Mario,

Yeah, late 50's is correct....

The price tag inside the hat, is that the OPS tag?? Anyway this hat new was priced at $22.50.

Do you have any sales ads from back then; I'd like to see more about this era hat; like if had a name to it...

Thanks Mario !:cheers1:

The sheen on that liner silk would indicate unworn/NOS in my book.

Mallory

Tell you what Cookie, that just may be the case.:D There is no sign of wear inside on the hat at all, right down to the white bow at the back of the sweat; it is perfect, not a speck of soiling. I'm thrilled. The OPS tag has a price of $22.50, I need to look through some Mallory ads, I am trying to find a name to this hat.

cookie said:
The sheen on that liner silk would indicate unworn/NOS in my book.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Am I the last guy here to figure out that the Cravenette process used on Mallory hats was not
exclusive to Mallory hats? I just looked at a listing on eBay for a wool overcoat (like I need one...)
with the Cravenette label.

Doing an eBay search (apologies to future viewers if these links die) I see an ad for the
Cravenette Company Ltd from 1917
, a
brochure for Cravenette waterproofing, and a Cravenette processed jacket
(which I wish were in my size). Apologies if I drive up prices for anyone...

Did Mallory buy the Cravenette Company at some point? Anyone know the history?
Apologies if I missed a post somewhere.

Was Swansback exclusive to Portis? Hm...

Last edited:

Mario

I'll Lock Up
With your stagename of 'feltfan' you were probably predestined to find out about all the details of the Cravenette process... :D

Still - thanks for your effort! :)

Am I the last guy here to figure out that the Cravenette process used on Mallory hats was not
exclusive to Mallory hats? I just looked at a listing on eBay for a wool overcoat (like I need one...)
with the Cravenette label.

Doing an eBay search (apologies to future viewers if these links die) I see an ad for the
Cravenette Company Ltd from 1917
, a
brochure for Cravenette waterproofing, and a Cravenette processed jacket
(which I wish were in my size). Apologies if I drive up prices for anyone...

Did Mallory buy the Cravenette Company at some point? Anyone know the history?
Apologies if I missed a post somewhere.

Was Swansback exclusive to Portis? Hm...

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
exclusive to Mallory hats? I just looked at a listing on eBay for a wool overcoat

I recently saw a really great, tweed overcoat at a thrift store with the Cravenette label on the pocket. Had it fit, I'd own it.

Greyfox

One of the Regulars
I am a relative novice when it comes to both the bay and these marvelous vintage fedoras. One of the great things about the group here is the willingness to share information and advice. So after seeking and receiving advice from 2 Loungers whose opinions I value highly I picked this up on the bay yesterday. Should have it next week and I am so looking forward to adding it to my small collection of Stetsons, VS and Akubra. Thanks so much to those Loungers. You know who you are.

Mallory105.jpg

Mallory104.jpg

Mallory102.jpg
[/IMG]

Mallory101.jpg

Mallory106.jpg

Last edited:
I saw that one up for auction Greyfox, fortunately, I have enough gray hats in my stash, didn't really need another one, so I didn't bid on it. That is a very fine hat from the looks of it, barely worn, if ever. I'd say you did very well, congratulations, and show us some photos when you get it.

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
I am a relative novice when it comes to both the bay and these marvelous vintage fedoras. One of the great things about the group here is the willingness to share information and advice. So after seeking and receiving advice from 2 Loungers whose opinions I value highly I picked this up on the bay yesterday. Should have it next week and I am so looking forward to adding it to my small collection of Stetsons, VS and Akubra. Thanks so much to those Loungers. You know who you are.

Mallory105.jpg

Great looking hat!! When you find hats like this on ebay its hard to stop! I would keep buying if I had the wifes approval.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner