Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE MALLORY MILE

buler

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Buler
Summary: Script to bold verticals serif-type in 1919, then slimmer equal weight in 1939.

There is also the shift from uppercase HATS to lower hats and the "h" in hats crossing different letters in Mallory. And hats coming and going....

B

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Mallory Twelve-Fifty

Adding new photos of my Mallory Twelve-Fifty to the thread. Photos of it have appeared previously, but I thought I would post additional photos now that it has migrated from sunny So Cal to snowy Minnesota.

Color: Snow.
Crown: 5-1/4" at the front, as creased. 6" open.
Ribbon: 2" black grosgrain, with wind trolley.
Brim: 3" circumferential, with under-welt.

Crown is full with no taper on the sides.

Cream-colored satin lining, with pre'46/Stetson takeover Mallory logo.

Fancy script Twelve-Fifty designation, but no specific model name.

Gardner's Mens Wear was located at Fillmore & Geary in San Francisco, Calif.

The pseudo-Cavanagh edge seen to good effect here.

Crown detail illustrating the extraordinary quality of felt and pouncing.

Brim and under-welt detail.

The de rigueur noggin shot.

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
1917 ad

5265267810_d4b93732d9_b.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
1950s Mallory 15

This hat has the SOFTEST felt ever. It literally feels like really fine suede. The felt is absolutely mint with the exception of one very tiny moth bite. Nothing major though. The ribbon is interesting, but I will be replacing it with a wide black or brown band. I can't see myself wearing that style of ribbon in public. It has a 2 1/8 inch brim and a pretty decent size crown. The sweatband is still very pliable with a little wear, but the liner is 100% mint. I really like this hat. Its my first "true" Mallory and I have to say that I'm very impressed with the craftsmanship.
DSC04506.jpg

DSC04501.jpg

DSC04500.jpg

DSC04502.jpg

DSC04505.jpg

DSC04504.jpg

DSC04510.jpg

DSC04509.jpg

DSC04488.jpg

DSC04487.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Nice little Mallory, JB, you did a great job with the bash, too.

Thanks hatophile!! I didnt even have to steam this one to get the bash to stay. The felt just seems to want to hold any bash you try on it, but then again its also very easy to pop out the bash too. [huh]

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Extraordinarily beautiful, Josh, and you look dapper wearing it. May I suggest that you keep the current band rather than replacing it with a grosgrain ribbon?

The band is integral to the design of this particular hat, and is reminiscent of the Dobbs GP from that era. Even the color and suede-like texture of the felt is similar to the examples of the GP that I have seen...minus the feather. The bound brim on this Mallory offers a nice contrast to the GP's whip-stitched brim, and makes it more 'wearable', in my opinion.

At any rate, a jaunty and I believe fairly unusual example in wonderful condition. Congrats!

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Extraordinarily beautiful, Josh, and you look dapper wearing it. May I suggest that you keep the current band rather than replacing it with a grosgrain ribbon?

The band is integral to the design of this particular hat, and is reminiscent of the Dobbs GP from that era. Even the color and suede-like texture of the felt is similar to the examples of the GP that I have seen...minus the feather. The bound brim on this Mallory offers a nice contrast to the GP's whip-stitched brim, and makes it more 'wearable', in my opinion.

At any rate, a jaunty and I believe fairly unusual example in wonderful condition. Congrats!

I'm with delectans. Keep the band. It's part of its unique design. Totally Gay Prince like. Beautiful.

Thank you delectans & Aureliano for the kind words! I actually have the feather that came with the hat. Well, its my only hat like this, so I will keep the band and put the feather back in. I guess I can wear the hat in "less formal" conditions. I dont even know what kind of clothing to pair this "Style" of hat with.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner