Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE MALLORY MILE

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Wiser Hatter, monbla256, Neo: Thank you for the kind words. Mallory did a masterful job of design, selecting a lighter felt, lower crown, wide brim, and combining it with a pleated ribbon/pug to imbue the hat with a casual elan. I love it!

Here is another example of a Mallory with pug:

The Stadium.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Picked up this Mallory Ten homburg today from my local vintage shop. It's missing its oilskin liner tip (you can still see the remaints). I suspect it to be post-takeover; I've looked through the thread, and the date on the liner is 1817, not 1823. Any ideas as to age and value? It fits me, so I think I'll keep it.

flute1.jpg

flute2.jpg

flute3.jpg

flute4.jpg

flute5.jpg

I bought it and the box it's pictured on for a song; only $17 for the lot!

And many thanks to Alan for hosting these for me!

Cheers,

Last edited:

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Get find looks to be one from before Stetson purchased Mallory for sure. Don't you just vintage shop's I help the ones here in Louisville when I can.
I keep business cards on me and hand them out to anyone who might have a poor under loved Fedora sitting in a box wanting to be placed high on
a head and feel the great outdoors again.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Here ya go guys! What do you think?

Flute, I'd say late 40's. It has the post-Stetson 1817 but the fabric Mallory size tag. We've assumed there was a transition time after the buyout where they switched to the 1817 date but still used up Mallory specific items like the fabric size tags.

B

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Thanks, Buler. This is my first Mallory; needless to say I don't know much about them. What's with the difference between the dates? Is one for Stetson/Hatco, and the other for Mallory?

Thanks,

Levallois

Practically Family
New Mallory homburg - Any ideas about a date of manufacture? I haven't received it yet but will be happy to answer questions once I do. Thanks!

Malloryhat2.jpg

Malloryhat7.jpg

Malloryhat5.jpg

Malloryhat6.jpg

Malloryhat8.jpg

Malloryhat3.jpg

Levallois

Practically Family
Ok, I've been doing some reading of the "Mallory Mile" and other old hat threads here at the FL and I think my homburg (above) is a pre-1946 hat as it has the 1823 date on the top of the inside and on the sweat and not the Stetson 1817 date. The sweat is not readed which means possibly older and the sweat is darker leather and has the convex edging which may mean older as well? I can't find another Mallory on the FL with the "Hats with an American Tradition" stamp - anybody familiar with this? It also has a tag that has printed "The Executive" which I can't find as a model name in any of the Mallory ads in this thread. Strangely, nothing about the Cravenette finish anywhere on this Mallory which goes back pre-WWI in the ads.

So, I'm not sure at all about this hat. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

John

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Definitely pre-1946. I'd want to say sometime from the 30's, judging by the overall appearance of the hat, in particular the darker and wider sweatband. That type of heavy gold embossing tells me 30's, or even earlier. Also, someone posted a bunch of old Mallory logos around here somewhere... Might even have been this thread, and I remember that particular type of logo as in the crown tipping as a 30's variety. I'll look for those old ads.

Cheers,

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Reference to the 'Cravenette' process goes back to at least 1908, and I doubt your hat is quite that old. Buler posted those logos on this thread, starting on post #275. I'm sure you already saw them if you looked through this thread.

It's very possible that your hat simply was not treated with Mallory's 'Cravenette' process, which would explain why it doesn't have any such markings on it, and also why it could date after the process was first adopted.

I couldn't find a direct match to your logo yet, but most of the font seems consistent with ads from the late 20's into the mid 30's. I'm fairly confident in my first guess, but if anyone else here would care to offer some additional insight?

buler

I'll Lock Up
New Mallory homburg - Any ideas about a date of manufacture? I haven't received it yet but will be happy to answer questions once I do. Thanks!

Malloryhat7.jpg

Malloryhat5.jpg

Levallois, the tombstone shaped Mallory logo is from the early to mid 1930s. I have some 1932/33 ads with that logo. Not quite sure when they quit using it.

B

Levallois

Practically Family
Early to mid-1930s would be just fine, thanks! I'll see if I can find the ads posted earlier here.

John

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Here's an ad from '33 with that logo shape. There's another in post 11, also 30s.
Nice call, Buler.
mallory1933-1.jpg

Last edited:

Levallois

Practically Family
More photos from my Mallory Homburg in Post #328 - looks like post 1934 based on the Union tag and price of $6. Has anyone ever seen the leather sweatband marked before - in this case Brandt Leather? Thanks!

P1000051.jpg

P1000054.jpg

P1000056.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters