Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE MALLORY MILE

rlk

I'll Lock Up
1946 Dallas

5293372227_13db3cb50c_z.jpg

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
My first Mallory that I am keeping (sold the actual first one I bought, an Open Road styled in gray, because it was a tad small)...

Seems to me to be a 1940s era Mallory. Anyone agree?

5351791189_cbcbea933d.jpg

5352401510_2c881aca50.jpg

5351791351_e10d54f779.jpg

5351791307_77e3d3cdf4.jpg

5352401548_703bba4aeb.jpg

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Introduction to the Mallory Mile.

Hello fellow Mallory owners I purchased my Mallory fifteen 27 years ago in a vintage clothing store. It was my first fedora and I have worn it for years.
One of my daughter turns 24 this year first memory's of me carrying her with my Mallory on.
web.jpg

Here are pictures of the inside of the hat.
web.jpg

R0011039.jpg

R0011043.jpg

Now for my problem.
To my dismay I picked my hat off the shelf the other day to find these spots.
web.jpg

There where some on the right side of the brim as well. So I picked up some Scout Dark Felt cleaner on the way home today from work. Lucky I have a Western Wear shop on the drive home and they carry brushes and cleaner there.After cleaning the spots on the side of the brim are gone and front has lessened some.
web.jpg

Do you think another round of cleaning will help any? Or should I send the hat off for a cleaning. Any recommendations? This is my Baby I am sure my fellow loungers will understand the gravity of this situation.
I where a size 7 5/8 so to walk into a shop an find it waiting for me so long ago it was love at first sight.

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thrift store Mallory

I scored a pre 1946 Mallory from a resale store this weekend. The Mallory logo is stamped on the inside of the crow with “Established 1823” which I understand dated the hat to pre 1946 when Stetson purchased Mallory in Aug 1943. The hat is clean looks like it was barely worn. The felt is light weight with a soft crown with a center crease that did not come entirely out with steaming and bushing over a open crown hat block. The hat has two small moth divots one that is one the top of the brim that you need to look closely to see and a second swallow divot on the underside of the brim. 2-3/8 over welt brim, 5-1/2 crown, size large 7-1/8. I am between 7-1/4 and 7-3/8 long oval. The hat almost works size wise. The sweat looks and fells new. I like the medium gray shade of felt with the lighter silver gray 1-1/8 had band which a well done over welt brim edge that could pass for a cavanagh edge
mallory3001.jpg
Mallory2002.jpg

Mallory007.jpg
Mallory005.jpg

Mallory004.jpg
Mallory001.jpg

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Mallory Ten Premier Quality, Pre '46

Well worn but lovingly cared for old Mallory Ten, Premier Quality. Very light and soft felt. Puggaree appears to be original to the hat.

Crown: 4-1/2" at the front, as creased.
Puggaree: 1-1/2".
Brim: 2-5/8" at the front. 2-3/4" at the sides and back, with 1/4" overwelt.
Sweatband: 1-3/4".

Detail of overwelt showing the beautifully executed combination hemming stitch and running stitch.

This liner tip appears to have originally had a brownish colored celluloid cover which did not survive the passage of time. Remnants of this material were found on inspection of the liner.

Similar pug on the 'Dunes Club ', albeit at the $5 price point.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner