Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE MALLORY MILE

MikePotts

Practically Family
I get the impression that Texas is, or was, the hat-wearingest state in the Union.

Of that style, yeah....I guess :)

CafeTexanSanAugustineTX1939.jpg

San Augustine, Texas. 1939

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
1950's Mallory Durafelt Premier

I picked up this Mallory this past weekend. Overall the felt is very nice, but what was interesting is the variation in the color. The hat is actually a very light tan color, but over time the crown and upper brim became a silverbelley color. I just figured that the light tan felt had faded through the years and a light sanding with several different grits of sandpaper would take care of the issue. (It has in the past) After stiff brushing, soft brushing, steaming, sanding, etc, the felt is still different colors. Though its much more uniform than it was before, you can still see where the hat has some tans, some light reds, and some silverbelly on the crown. Its a shame too because its really a nice hat, so this one will probably just be a throw around hat.

I wanted to shape it like a 1920's style wide brim. I curved the brim just slightly and pulled the front and back down just slightly. I kept the original boxed bow work, used a deep center dent, and put side dimples in the crown. From many vintage ads that I have seen, this brim treatment was a very common treatment for wide brims. I usually don't wear brims this wide, but with the brim up and curved like it is, I actually really like the way it looks on me.

DSC07788.jpg

DSC07789.jpg

DSC07794.jpg

DSC07793.jpg

DSC07796.jpg

DSC07797.jpg

DSC07798.jpg

DSC07800.jpg

DSC07799.jpg

DSC07802.jpg

I like the way you styled it Josh. Some of those 50's hats with high crowns and wider brims do resemble what we see a lot in the 20's hats, especially with the side dents. Let's see it on!

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
That's a beauty, Josh, and I sure can't detect much color variation on my monitor. Noggin shot?

I like the way you styled it Josh. Some of those 50's hats with high crowns and wider brims do resemble what we see a lot in the 20's hats, especially with the side dents. Let's see it on!

Thanks, Randall & Perry!! The crown on this hat was a pretty good height at 5 5/8 and the top was relatively flat. The block shape lent itself well to a center dent with side dimples. A good chunk of early 50's wider brimmed hats of this type used rounder 51 block type crowns which doesn't always look so great with a center dent.

DSC07815redone.jpg

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What kind of reaction do you get over there in Europe when you wear vintage hats? I know about the U.S., but have no idea about the reception for such styles across the water.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
danofarlington,different. In Germany are not so many Hat wearer as in the US, but I hear no negative comments.
Most people looks short, and then it's ok. :D ( they are a little shy )

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
What kind of reaction do you get over there in Europe when you wear vintage hats? I know about the U.S., but have no idea about the reception for such styles across the water.

Well, in Germany they certainly do appreciate it once they realize the provenance of those hats. Very few people here know a vintage hat when they see one, though. To them, a well-preserved hat, worn with a suitable outfit, is simply a nice-looking hat (I get compliments all the time). You wouldn't get a different reaction wearing a custom hat.The more observant folks might notice that something unusual has landed in their field of vision when they see the neat liner of a vintage hat, on occasion.

Regarding clothes and accessories in general, you have to take into account that most people don't pay any attention to texture and quality, and hardly ever notice cut and silhouette. What they see is color and pattern, and that's the end of the story.

Those who do care are thrilled with the idea of wearing high-quality vintage hats, especially when they learn that current production cannot hold a candle to the high-quality hats of bygone days.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Mallory Nokabout 5" x 2 3/8" 1950s

This Nokabout sure gets around. I'm the fifth Lounger to own it - the hat went from Zetwal to Aureliano to DJH to Ordinary Guy, who sold it to me. It's been covered before in this thread, too. Let's give the poor hat another try. :)

The lightweight felt is eqippped with a cloth reed which makes it easily foldable - less rigid than a true reeded sweatband and less prone to popping stitches than a typical unreeded sweatband.
The low crown calls for wearing it with the brim down all the way around as far as I'm concerned. A very nice travel hat. I'll see if I can do something about the steam-and-stretching line above the ribbon (below the upper edge of the leather sweat), although I suspect the line cannot be undone.

P1080761.jpg

MalloryNokabout_folded.jpg

Right after unfolding...

P1080771.jpg

P1080784.jpg

...then creased again...

P1080786.jpg

...and folded once more:

P1080793.jpg

P1080754.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics