Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE MALLORY MILE

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Here's another angle of it. I got it with the original hat box at an antique show in Portland a few years ago. The crown is almost 6 inches which makes the 2 3/4 inch brim look narrower than it is.
IMG_20060716_0001.jpg

fedoralover

buler

I'll Lock Up
fedoralover said:
Here's another angle of it. I got it with the original hat box at an antique show in Portland a few years ago. The crown is almost 6 inches which makes the 2 3/4 inch brim look narrower than it is.
IMG_20060716_0001.jpg

fedoralover

Wow!!! :eusa_clap

Can we get a liner and sweatband pic also?

thanks
B

buler

I'll Lock Up
SonOfaPreacher said:
help please! I would like to date this thing! Nice old nokabout, grey with a blue hue, and paid a whopping 8.50 for it! enjoy the pics!
Cheers all!

SonOfaPreacher, your liner has the "Established 1817" which indicates its post-Stetson purchase of Mallory which happened in August of 1946.

B

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
Here is my newly acquired Mallory. It's a 7 3/8 "Twelve-Fifty". It looks like a Cavanagh edge, but its a very well executed underwelt. The bow is box-like but not quite a box bow. Something I haven't seen before is the feather stitched into the hat by a thin thread, could the store selling it done that or the previous owner. I'll stop talking, here are the pictures!
IMG_9301.jpg

IMG_9302.jpg

IMG_9303.jpg

IMG_9304.jpg

IMG_9305.jpg

I have the box also. The size tag is cloth, and the date establish says 1823.
Anyone want to give a guess of its age?

buler

I'll Lock Up
J.J. Gittes said:
Here is my newly acquired Mallory. It's a 7 3/8 "Twelve-Fifty". It looks like a Cavanagh edge, but its a very well executed underwelt. The bow is box-like but not quite a box bow. Something I haven't seen before is the feather stitched into the hat by a thin thread, could the store selling it done that or the previous owner. I'll stop talking, here are the pictures!

I have the box also. The size tag is cloth, and the date establish says 1823.
Anyone want to give a guess of its age?

JJ, thats a gorgeous lid! It says "Established 1823" so its pre-Stetson(1946). The script used for "Mallory Twelve Fifty" is more ornate than what I usually see. Also the rear of the sweat is window-paned with the white fabric which ordinarily I don't see on Mallorys. Is there a reorder tag under the sweat? Got a pic of the box?

B

buler

I'll Lock Up
My Mallory Menagerie

Ok, here is a start. I have a few Mallory's to ad to this thread. I'll work on it over the next few days. Two of my first 6 hats were Mallory's and I've been partial to them ever since.

B

The group:
mallory.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
Green Long Hair

This is an early long hair in a great deep green. I'll edit these with measurements later.

brim = 2 1/4
ribbon = 1 11/16
sweat = 2 1/16
crown = 5 1/2

B

green3.jpg

green2.jpg

green5.jpg

green7.jpg

green8.jpg

green9.jpg

green10.jpg

mallory_long-3.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
Early Grey Gold Medal

Next up is an early Grey Gold Medal quality.

brim = 2 1/16
ribbon = 1 1/4
sweat = 2 1/16
crown = 5

greymallory2.jpg

greymallory4.jpg

greymallory5.jpg

greymallory6.jpg

greymallory7.jpg

greymallory8.jpg

greymallory9.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
A Brown Aristocrat Quality

Last for tonight is this brown Aristocrat quality with lots of brim.

brim = 2 3/4
ribbon = 1 7/16
sweat = 1 15/16
crown = 5

malloryaristocrat1.jpg

malloryaristocrat3.jpg

malloryaristocrat6.jpg

malloryaristocrat7.jpg

malloryaristocrat8.jpg

malloryaristocrat9.jpg

malloryaristocrat10.jpg

malloryaristocrat11.jpg

malloryaristocrat12.jpg

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
One of my favorite hats is a Mallory! It doesn't have a model designation, but it looks to me like a Stratoliner clone. I've posted it elsewhere but I'll repost the same photos here:

MalloryPliafeltStratolinerclone8.jpg

MalloryPliafeltStratolinerclone5.jpg

MalloryPliafeltStratolinerclone7.jpg

MalloryPliafeltStratolinerclone6.jpg

MalloryPliafeltStratolinerclone.jpg

MalloryPliafeltStratolinerclone1.jpg

I love that deep, rich brown! As it happens, I wore it today before seeing this thread but with a more casual outfit than in these photos.

Cheers,
Tom

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
J.J. Gittes said:
IMG_9302.jpg

IMG_9305.jpg

Very similar to one I just traded for - same sweatband stamp, and clever underwelt. Mine is unreeded and doesn't have a liner (though it probably did originally). Also, I love that bash - very cool!

Buler! Hey, Buler!!! ...any idea as to age?

buler

I'll Lock Up
Mallory Ten

Ok ScottF, here is my Mallory Ten with very similiar script used for the Mallory on the sweat. You'll notice that this one has the Established 1817 instead of the 1823. It also has the "fake" cav edge and similiar naming and price point as the Twelve-Fifty. I would guess that when Stetson took over Mallory they still used up sweats, liners, etc. which can explain the 1823/1817 liners showing up on almost identical hats. I'm going to go with mid-40s for these hats, probably 1946 and before for the 1823s and 1947 on up for the 1817s. This is just my guess. But with more of us documenting these hats and posting the pictures it helps clear up the fuzzy picture.

This hat happens to be my first hat won off ebay and still one of my favorites. Its a chameleon color, brown/grey, that changes with different lighting.

The cream Mallory Ten that I just picked up today is almost identical except it has brim binding and the stitching closure of the rear sweat is different.

B

brim = 2 5/8
ribbon = 1 3/4
sweat = 1 7/8
crown = 5

ten_1.jpg

ten_2-1.jpg

ten_3.jpg

ten_4.jpg

ten_5.jpg

ten_6.jpg

ten_7.jpg

ten_8.jpg

Kangfish

Familiar Face
Torino Quality

Hi. I posted this question in another thread but didn't get a response. I'm sure it's modern but what is the "Torino Quality" like in the Mallory hat? It has no model just Torino Quality and it's a 7 1/8 long oval. I can get it cheap but don't know if it's even worth the price of a cleaning knowing nothing about it. And it would need cleaning (I think). Otherwise in very good shape. Thanks - KF

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Mallory Coast to Coast...

We just arrived from a short vacation to Montreal and found this waiting for me. I bought it from TFL's Metropd and I am loving it.
The ribbon is a nice dark navy color and the brim binding is grey. Nice lite felt that fit me a bit snug but, after some work with the Jiffy and the hat jack, sits perfectly on my head.
When it came it had a teardrop (very much squooshed by the box) bash but I changed it to a center dent. It feels right that way. Any idea about the date of this hat? Metropd told me, I think, 50's...

This is how it arrived:
DSC04232.jpg

Inside tags, liner and sweat:
DSC04240.jpg

DSC04236.jpg

DSC04234.jpg

DSC04233.jpg

DSC04241.jpg

After steaming and creasing:

DSC04243.jpg

DSC04247.jpg

:D