Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE MALLORY MILE

suitedcboy

One Too Many
DSC04243.jpg

That is a gorgeous lid! You did a great job of smoothing it out and e-creasing it (err, bashing it). Metropd must have had a killer hat to replace it in order to let that one go.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Sue and Suitedcboy! I do wonder why Metropd let this one go. When I saw the price I snatched no second thoughts! Any idea of it's age?

RobStC

A-List Customer
My new Mallory 'Eight Fifty'.
This one came from Chiliarches in Chicago (thanks again, John) via Optimo for a quick new sweatband and clean/block (unfortunately, the original sweatband, which I'd asked to be saved, seems to have vanished in the work at Optimo :rage: ).

Size 7 1/4, incredible felt that is really supple and holds pretty much any crease without recourse to steam or water. Really thin, too. Great colour combo IMHO, and a great fit on my head. Never shall we be parted.....

DSC01119.jpg

DSC01162.jpg

DSC01157.jpg

DSC01159.jpg

DSC01161.jpg

DSC01154.jpg

DSC01155.jpg

RobStC

buler

I'll Lock Up
Aureliano said:
Thanks Sue and Suitedcboy! I do wonder why Metropd let this one go. When I saw the price I snatched no second thoughts! Any idea of it's age?

Based on the style and the "Established 1817" logo, I'd say early 50's.

B

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Aureliano said:
We just arrived from a short vacation to Montreal and found this waiting for me. I bought it from TFL's Metropd and I am loving it.
The ribbon is a nice dark navy color and the brim binding is grey. Nice lite felt that fit me a bit snug but, after some work with the Jiffy and the hat jack, sits perfectly on my head.
When it came it had a teardrop (very much squooshed by the box) bash but I changed it to a center dent. It feels right that way. Any idea about the date of this hat? Metropd told me, I think, 50's...

:D

Nice lid Bud!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RobStC

A-List Customer
billysmom said:
Rob -

That is a very sweet lid. It looks as if it were made for you! Congratulations!

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Sue

Thanks Sue. I could sure use a bit of that Mallory 'Youthful Smartness', so am really enjoying this hat. And also thanks Aureliano - I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Graham manages to find the old sweatband. The hat is obviously perfectly good, and very functional, with its new Optimo band, but does feel a tad lacking in 'history' without the original.....

Nice deal from Metropod, by the way; that blue-ish ribbon looks really great!

Rob

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Rob,
I'm actually drooling for yours. Honestly. Is the colour faithful in the pictures?

Was the original sweat in very bad shape that you needed to replace it? or did you need to stretch the hat?

buler

I'll Lock Up
Some research....

Ok, here is what I have so far from going thru ads posted and googlebooks. Any of the full dates are from LIFE magazine. The others are varied sources. I'm listing model names and their price (if listed), whether the ad mentions cravenette or pliafelt for that model, and the full price range at the time. I'll update as I find more.

B

MALLORY

30s - Cricket Club $5, Towner $5
30s - Nokabout (supl-tex) $5 cravenette
30s - Collegeway, Ladfield
30s - Booth cravenette
30s - Smartway $5, Guide $5
30s - Egyptian $5, Empire $7.50

9/38 - Sportabout $4 cravenette, Nokabout (pebble finish) cravenette $5 (7.50 - 10)

40s - Park Avenue $5
40s - Angle $7.50 (colors: cruiser grey, patrol green, cadet blue, oak brown)
40s - Varsity
40s - Shore Drive
40s - Centurian

9/09/40 - Sportabout $4, Travel-Ease $5, Autumn '40 $5 (5-10)
3/31/41 - Meridian $5, Dunes Club $5 (5-10)
11/10/41 - Kingsbridge $6, Durwood (duo-stitch brim) $7.50 cravenette
3/30/42 - Spring '43 $5 ($3 - 5.50), Townfield (pug) $6.50 ($6.50 - 10 cravenette), Serenade $7.50 ($6.50 - 10 pliafelt)
12/7/42 - Capitol Hill $10, Alert $6.50 (5-10) pliafelt
3/22/43 - Salute $6.50, pliafelt
11/22/43 - Ranger $7.50 pliafelt
10/09/44 - Avenue, pliafelt, $15
4/09/45 - Dallas $10, pliafelt, (6.50 - 15)
10/08/45 - price from $6.50
4/08/46 - Air Cruiser $10 cravenette
9/09/46 - Dallas $15 pliafelt
4/14/47 - Air Cruiser cravenette
49 - Stadium $8.50 cravenette (7.50 - 20)
49 - Observer $10 cravenette (7.50 - 20)
49 - Airways $10 pliafelt
49 - Vacationer $10 pliafelt (8.50 - 20)
49 - All-Season $8.50 cravenette (8.50 - 20)

50s - Airways $10
- Magic $10
- Coast to Coast
- Ten $10
- Twelve Fifty $12.50

RobStC

A-List Customer
Aureliano said:
Thanks Rob,
I'm actually drooling for yours. Honestly. Is the colour faithful in the pictures?

Was the original sweat in very bad shape that you needed to replace it? or did you need to stretch the hat?

The original sweatband was attached only along about 1/3 of its length, and Graham at Optimo reckoned it was dry-rotted and would just keep coming away again. The size is still the original Mallory 7 1/4.

Yep, the colour in the 'not on head' pics is pretty accurate, although as always it does look different in different lights.

I find it continually amazing just how differently hats can come across with just a small change in the colour tone of the felt or the combo of felt, ribbon and binding. Also the sheer number of shades that were used. Never ending source of variety and nuance, not to mention potential bankruptcy.....

Rob

buler

I'll Lock Up
Another Dallas

This one is an interesting brown combo color Classic Quality Dallas. Had a plethora of tags under the sweat.

B

dallas_brown_1_alt.jpg

dallas_brown_2.jpg

dallas_brown_3.jpg

dallas_brown_4.jpg

dallas_brown_5.jpg

dallas_brown_6.jpg

dallas_brown_7.jpg

dallas_brown_8.jpg

dallas_brown_9.jpg

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Mallory Premier Quality...

Paid $18 bucks for it at housing works. It has a few superficial moth nibbles. Nothing that would bother me!
Here are some pics.

DSC04256.jpg

DSC04257.jpg

The bow is big and what I love about it is that there is no fold on the left side of it

DSC04258.jpg

DSC04261.jpg

DSC04265.jpg

DSC04266.jpg

The size tag isn't cloth as in my other Mallory, any idea of its age?

DSC04267.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW