Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE MALLORY MILE

Hi Guys...I recently posted in the "New Member" forum that I was gifted some hats from my brother-in-law who didn't use them any more. This one is a Mallory. Straw, I guess. Are any of you familiar with this model? Looks like 60's to me...like something my dad would wear. Back then.

Its a 7 and my noggin is closer to 7 1/4. Its a shame to have come across these cool hats and can't use them. Or could this be stretched enough to make it work for me?

Your brother in law certainly had a good eye for hats, Gary. This another gorgeous one. The ribbon treatment is awesome. Pity it's not your size. I agree with @deadlyhandsome that stretching it is not the way to go for this one.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
100319_2.jpg

100319_3.jpg

100319_4.jpg

100319_1.jpg
A truly beautiful Mallory, Alan. Is it grey with blue overtones, or a darkish blue with grey undertones? Love the ribbon contrast.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Thank you both... the color is definitely blue with a nod towards slate.
Thank you for sharing, Alan. Thought the colour was as you described and so beautifully shown in your photos. I was just worried my old eyes were deceiving me. It is an exceptionally eye catching hat, yet subtle in its tones. It certainly deserves a place in your wonderful collection.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Dotneck

One of the Regulars
Your brother in law certainly had a good eye for hats, Gary. This another gorgeous one. The ribbon treatment is awesome. Pity it's not your size. I agree with @deadlyhandsome that stretching it is not the way to go for this one.

Yes, I like the little pink touch on the ribbon. I would enjoy wearing this hat but I'll just let this one be and try to find one in my size. The next one I'll photograph is a Wormser...

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
Hello Gents. I'm currently looking for a vintage Mallory and Cavanagh for my next hat. I have my eye on one but trying to determine the age. After reading through the posts, it seems a little ambiguous on the markings of Pre-Stetson vs Stetson.

Here's some pics of one I'm looking at, any suggestions on whether or not it is worth going for would be appreciated. I realize 'worth going for' is very subjective, but meaning in the context of a desirable vintage hat. Seems to be an unbashed open crown. I also like the grey.

s-l500 (3).jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500 (1).jpg

s-l500 (2).jpg

Last edited:

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Hello Gents. I'm currently looking for a vintage Mallory and Cavanagh for my next hat. I have my eye on one but trying to determine the age. After reading through the posts, it seems a little ambiguous on the markings of Pre-Stetson vs Stetson.

Here's some pics of one I'm looking at, any suggestions on whether or not it is worth going for would be appreciated. I realize 'worth going for' is very subjective, but meaning in the context of a desirable vintage hat. Seems to be an unbashed open crown. I also like the grey.

View attachment 187749

View attachment 187750

View attachment 187751

View attachment 187752

Looks like a very sharp hat in an Open Road style. For what it's worth, if it was my size I'd be watching/going for it.

There is a sentiment that the crest date can help determine between pre and post Stetson ownership. Pre Stetson is "ESTABLISHED 1823" and post Stetson is "ESTABLISHED 1817" on the crest. This occurred in 1946.

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
Looks like a very sharp hat in an Open Road style. For what it's worth, if it was my size I'd be watching/going for it.

There is a sentiment that the crest date can help determine between pre and post Stetson ownership. Pre Stetson is "ESTABLISHED 1823" and post Stetson is "ESTABLISHED 1817" on the crest. This occurred in 1946.

Ahh, thanks, I guess I missed that about the dates on the crest. Seems strange that they would keep it the same and just change the Established date.

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Another find from my estate auction extravaganza, this one is much closer to my size and will be staying with me. I've spent a good part of today going through 70 pages of The Mallory Mile and Mallory Madness threads and didn't come across anything quite like this one. The Mallory Director (?):
IMG_20191009_125644018_HDR.jpg IMG_20191009_125759915.jpg IMG_20191009_125957483.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_1862.JPG IMG_1863.JPG
Specs:
2-3/4" Brim
3/8" Bound edge (symmetric)
5-1/2" Crown (open)
1-5/8" Ribbon
3.9oz Weight
The liner is unlike any other shown in this thread in that it's for Marshall Fields, so no 1817/1823 Mallory crest to help provide an age clue. The liner is sewn attached, so probably original? There is evidence of celluloid flakes behind the sweat, though not sure if this was from a now gone liner tip protector or from a barrier between the sweat and the felt. The sweat itself is non-reeded. Also note the $15 price sticker, though again, not noted on the liner nor sweat as was typical. In yet another oddity, the ribbon still has basting stitches (zoom profile picture to see). A mystery wrapped in a riddle inside an enigma.

The Pliafelt is wonderfully thin and malleable, and this hat will take any form you want to give to it. In some ways it almost reminds me of Borsalino. At 3.9oz it's also on the lighter side, though considering how much moth damage there is I wouldn't be surprised if it was 4.0 originally. The moths had an absolute field day with this hat, though fortunately most of it somewhat inconspicuous.

I guess this hat is like a good woman, mysterious, beautifully flawed yet soft to the touch.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 187749

View attachment 187750

View attachment 187751

View attachment 187752
Heck yes and heck yes!!
The Dallas is a wonderful hat!
Hope you get it!!
B
Ps: i see you did get it. Good get.

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
Another find from my estate auction extravaganza, this one is much closer to my size and will be staying with me. I've spent a good part of today going through 70 pages of The Mallory Mile and Mallory Madness threads and didn't come across anything quite like this one. The Mallory Director (?):
View attachment 188569 View attachment 188570 View attachment 188571 View attachment 188574 View attachment 188572 View attachment 188573
Specs:
2-3/4" Brim
5-1/2" Crown (open)
1-5/8" Ribbon
3.9oz Weight
The liner is unlike any other shown in this thread in that it's for Marshall Fields, so no 1817/1823 Mallory crest to help provide an age clue. The liner is sewn attached, so probably original? There is evidence of celluloid flakes behind the sweat, though not sure if this was from a now gone liner tip protector or from a barrier between the sweat and the felt. The sweat itself is non-reeded. Also note the $15 price sticker, though again, not noted on the liner nor sweat as was typical. In yet another oddity, the ribbon still has basting stitches (zoom profile picture to see). A mystery wrapped in a riddle inside an enigma.

The Pliafelt is wonderfully thin and malleable, and this hat will take any form you want to give to it. In some ways it almost reminds me of Borsalino. At 3.9oz it's also on the lighter side, though considering how much moth damage there is I wouldn't be surprised if it was 4.0 originally. The moths had an absolute field day with this hat, though fortunately most of it somewhat inconspicuous.

I guess this hat is like a good woman, mysterious, beautifully flawed yet soft to the touch.

Looks very nice, but I don’t think I ran across any like that in my recent research. Maybe made exclusively for Marshall Field ? The cloth size tag can be an indication, but I would have to go back through the threads.

View attachment 188569 View attachment 188570 View attachment 188571 View attachment 188574 View attachment 188572 View attachment 188573
Specs:
2-3/4" Brim
5-1/2" Crown (open)
1-5/8" Ribbon
3.9oz Weight

I always say Mallory made a helluva hat. Congrats on a rare find.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Well I paid, but they still haven’t shipped after 6 days, and not answering me. Customer with a good feedback record, so maybe just out of town..

Some sellers only ship once a week, though this is often shown in the listing. You may have caught them right at the beginning of a cycle. Another possibility is that the mail tracking info didn't translate over to eBay. Keep in mind that basic barebones ground shipping doesn't include tracking. On more than one occasion I've had packages arrive without ever receiving notification that it shipped.

Typically I wait a week before reaching out to the seller. If there is an estimated delivery date, which I believe is actually generated by an eBay algorithm, I'll wait another 7-10 days before thinking about opening up a case. Fortunately, I've never had to do this. I know it's hard, but patience. :)

Looks very nice, but I don’t think I ran across any like that in my recent research. Maybe made exclusively for Marshall Field ? The cloth size tag can be an indication, but I would have to go back through the threads.

I actually have this nagging feeling hat I've seen this Marshall Field liner before in a hat, but I can't remember if was with another maker or as part of a private house label creation.

I always say Mallory made a helluva hat. Congrats on a rare find.
Thanks, Jim. My sample size is now one, and based on it I definitely wouldn't mind getting hands on some more Mallory hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko