Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Man From UNCLE movie

alexeberlin

New in Town
The Illya style with dark jacket and cap looks good. But the two "Prince of Wales" suits both look like they outfitted the model with one size too small. The style in the early Sixties was more fitted than in the Fifties, sure, and Vaughn and McCallum both wore suits with skinny lapels and somewhat highwater trousers with no cuffs. But they never looked like they were wearing their little brothers' suits, as this guy does.

That said, I'm VERY glad to see the name "Man from U.N.C.L.E." out there. Perhaps Banana Republic will have something like they did for Mad Men.
yes, sadly I think the H&C suits are a little too "fashion forward" for my taste. Thankfully cavill and hammer don't wear styles like that. Although vaughn's trousers looked a bit too short on occasion. Nowhere close to some of Daniel \craig's recent Bond suits though.

Last edited:

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Cool video, that; thanks!

ON the IMDb page for the film under Trivia, Guy Ritchie is quoted as saying that he watched films like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid to get the tone, the mix of humor and seriousness. I've said for years that if you combined BC and Marathon Man, you'd have the U.N.C.L.E. tone about right.

(BC was much more like the Culp-Cosby I Spy series, though. When it was new, people told me how hilarious it was. And it was great -- but Kelly and Scotty were there first!)

Last edited:

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I'm looking forward to this. Yes, I know, I was 11 years old when the series came out. But still...it'll bring back memories.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I'm looking forward to this. Yes, I know, I was 11 years old when the series came out. But still...it'll bring back memories.
Blackthorn,

You're just my age, then. MfU was like no other series of its time -- it moved faster, for one thing -- and it had those act divisions, each with a title, as well as the episode title itself. For our age group, it was ours in a way nothing else on TV was. It wasn't kiddie programming; Solo and Illya were grown men. But something in the show spoke to its fans, and still does!

For years before seeing the episodes again on CBN in 1985, I could still remember episode titles as well as individual scenes and even some snippets of dialog; stuff I'd seen once or twice at age 11 or 12. Only Star Trek, later, would have such an effect. And of course we've had those episodes available in syndication for 45 years. MfU almost disappeared between 1968-1985, so there was no way to refresh our memories.

Last edited:

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Blackthorn,

You're just my age, then. MfU was like no other series of its time -- it moved faster, for one thing -- and it had those act divisions, each with a title, as well as the episode title itself. For our age group, it was ours in a way nothing else on TV was. It wasn't kiddie programming; Solo and Illya were grown men. But something in the show spoke to its fans, and still does!

For years before seeing the episodes again on CBN in 1985, I could still remember episode titles as well as individual scenes and even some snippets of dialog; stuff I'd seen once or twice at age 11 or 12. Only Star Trek[/], later, would have such an effect. And of course we've had those episodes available in syndication for 45 years. MfU almost disappeared between 1968-1985, so there was no way to refresh our memories.

Yep, we are definitely on the same page, Benzadmiral.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Here's a sample of the soundtrack, which will be out August 7th: http://filmmusicreporter.com/2015/07/28/the-man-from-u-n-c-l-e-soundtrack-preview/ (Be sure to open it in Internet Explorer. My Firefox wouldn't display the small sound box.) Good stuff, with the sounds of sophistication and danger you'd expect -- especially the cut "The Vinciguerra Affair," which should be the subtitle of this movie anyway. All the original episodes were "The [Something] Affair," from villains' names to "Deadly" something-or-other, like "Deadly Games" or "Deadly Toys."

Thanks for the original link about McCallum's quote. He and Vaughn are definitely still class acts.

alexeberlin

New in Town
that they are benzadmiral. I can't wait to buy " came a crooked man"- McCallum's debut crime novel- in january

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I'm doing my darnedest not to read any reviews at all until after I see the flick. It's not easy, but I'm resisting. If it were something with less resonance for me, and I wanted to know if I should spend the money, as with "Jurassic World," then sure, I'd have a look at some reviews.

Not this one.

Two days to go!

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I'm catching the first morning show, ca. 10am, on Friday. On my office lamp I've taped a printout of the movie poster ("Saving the World Never Goes Out of Style"), and on my door a rendering of Robert Vaughn as Solo, behind the famous spider-webbed bulletproof glass. (I'd go ballistic with joy if that was in the film. . . .)

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, that's what I needed to hear. I'm gonna trust you on this one, if it stinks... It's on you with any and all penalties that implies LOL!

Worf
It definitely does not stink. If the characters were called something other than Solo, Illya, and Waverly, I think anyone would still find it an enjoyable action movie with humor kept to the right places. Put it this way: In many spots you can imagine Vaughn and McCallum saying the lines of the film; and you can easily imagine Cavill and Hammer doing the lines of their respective characters from the original show.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner