Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Middy Thread

Tatum

Practically Family
Omg, it's short...

Ok, so... I chopped it last week and haven't posted pics (I KNOW, Rue!).... Well, I'm having issues styling it. I seem to have lost my hair mojo with it being this short. Anyone? Ideas? Please help!

I'm going to stalk the thread, but I'm suddenly panicking, as today's set looked awful, just like the last few days.

rue

Ok, so... I chopped it last week and haven't posted pics (I KNOW, Rue!).... Well, I'm having issues styling it. I seem to have lost my hair mojo with it being this short. Anyone? Ideas? Please help!

I'm going to stalk the thread, but I'm suddenly panicking, as today's set looked awful, just like the last few days.

No pressure... :p

When I first got my middy, it was really short and I panicked too! I just used small and medium rollers as far down as I could on my head or I would end up looking like Bozo the clown :eeek: and then kept brushing. That's all I've got as far as advice :(

Tatum

Practically Family
I'm actually going through my blog right now to get ideas. I literally just read the whole Middy thread from start to finish.

I KNOW it'll grow quick, I know I have done this before but wow. I'm flipping out a little :(

Eta...Off to wash and thank the hair gods that I still have sponge rollers!

Also, looking at my blog didn't help at all. :eek:

Last edited:

Tatum

Practically Family
Thanks Rue. That really makes me feel warm and fuzzy. :)

I guess I just got really comfortable with it long, and had a nice routine down. Nothing so far has worked, but I haven't tried sponge or pillow rollers yet, and I relied on them for a long time.

Ok, I'm going to go set it, try not to hyperventilate too much and even if it comes out like crap tomorrow I will post it so the FL hair goddesses can make suggestions. Or just convince me that I can still pull off a short cut!

swinggal

One Too Many
Thanks Rue. That really makes me feel warm and fuzzy. :)

I guess I just got really comfortable with it long, and had a nice routine down. Nothing so far has worked, but I haven't tried sponge or pillow rollers yet, and I relied on them for a long time.

Ok, I'm going to go set it, try not to hyperventilate too much and even if it comes out like crap tomorrow I will post it so the FL hair goddesses can make suggestions. Or just convince me that I can still pull off a short cut!

Just think 30s. Most ladies hair was on the nape of the neck or shoulders when curled at that time. I love the waves and tight curls of the 30s and I can even achieve them with a bob. I much prefer the 30s look these days.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab

I had that problem with my Middy for the longest... Painfully longest... time. Personally, I found sponge rollers gave me a much tighter curl than plastic rollers. I used 2-inch plastic rollers for the longest time, but they're hard to sleep in, so hot rollers if they work for you (easier to comb out) or large pin-curls, I'd say.

Tatum

Practically Family
Rue, I know... I won't cry over this, as that just causes one more issue! ;)

swinggal, thanks. I used to rock a faux bob occasionally, so I don't mind trying new things. It's just that when I have set fail after set fail...it's a bit frustrating.

C-dot, pin curls aren't holding at all in this--at least when I do it, and I can't afford to go to the shop everyday! I'll try some huge rollers. I tried larger than I'm used to last night along with pillow rollers, so we shall see what today brings.

Tatum

Practically Family
Thanks, SheBear! Has the humidity around here been killing your curls? It sure has mine!

Zombi, sponge rollers were all I used for the first two years. I'm glad I held onto them!

On to diagrams...

I posted these in the "Show Us" thread but I wanted them to be found here as well. Inky (dunno where she's been, I miss her) has the Femme Fatale diagram in her Flickr, and it's a better scan than I have.

Femme Fatale Middy link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/inkyknits/4953872215/

Here is all of the cuts in the book: http://vintagehair.livejournal.com/3645.html

And I just found the other one. Crude, but it makes sense and my stylist appreciated it!
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...3786749866_113632354865_6986644_4727150_n.jpg

Tatum

Practically Family
My pleasure! I still think c-dot has the best one as far as explanation for how the layers should be, even if you don't DIY. I asked my stylist if she wanted any more reference, planning to show it to her, but she knew I was coming in and I think did her own homework!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
My pleasure! I still think c-dot has the best one as far as explanation for how the layers should be, even if you don't DIY. I asked my stylist if she wanted any more reference, planning to show it to her, but she knew I was coming in and I think did her own homework!

Awh, shucks... :eek:

I really loved that last diagram, it made me smile!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot