Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Middy Thread

zombi

A-List Customer
^ It looks great!! I just love it. My hair's a little too long for that headband set, I think, because I have had difficulty doing it every time, but it sure comes out cute on shorter hair! Maybe one day if I finally get up the guts to get a middy.....

I'm impressed you wear your hair set at work -- I certainly don't! It's always just up and out of my way!

navygoddess

New in Town
If I were doing lots of clinical procedures, I would be doing an updo. Being a pediatric home care nurse, I get a bit more freedom of how I can do my hair. Honestly, it hasn't been in my face all day, I am sure it being on the short side helps. Now, this would NOT have worked back in my gi clinic days ;)

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Thank you ladies for the links! I've never heard of this idea; amazing. I'll give it a go sometime to see if it works just as well on my naturally curly hair.

Tks again
X
BD

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Hi everyone,

I tried the headband method. The results, pretty good! Lots of curl, which looked pretty much the same as my natural curl.

Next time I'll choose a different leave in spray, or just do it with my hair damp. I didn't like the product I chose. Feels icky!

The curl in the back looks quite nice. The front needs to be perfected. It didn't work as well on the shorter layers of the middy in front. However, it's my first time - next time I'm sure it will be better!

Thanks for posting the instructions.
X
BD

FraeuleinBerlin

One of the Regulars
I can't upload any photos! It says there's an "unspecified error".. whether I use a URL or try and upload it from the computer. Can anyone help me?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I can't upload any photos! It says there's an "unspecified error".. whether I use a URL or try and upload it from the computer. Can anyone help me?

If you're using a URL, uncheck the box that says "retrieve remote files and reference locally." You can't upload photos from the computer, even though the option is there.

FraeuleinBerlin

One of the Regulars
Thank you...!

So here is my new hair (not my favourite photo of me ever!):

296768_10150493605307178_704547177_11441071_2037189498_n.jpg

I like it a lot, but I still feel it looks kind of modern...? What do you ladies think?

FraeuleinBerlin

One of the Regulars
I would really love to be able to make my hair do WAVES, you know, like this (although less make-up!):

pin_curl_hairstyle_ideas_christina-aguilera-pin-curls.jpg

I did brush... and brush and brush and brush... but my hair stayed in curls and I started to feel like I was going to have no hair left if I kept brushing it! Maybe I'm just being paranoid because I never brush my hair?

ginfizz

One of the Regulars
I think your hair looks great!

Making the waves happen is all about setting the hair correctly and then brushing correctly. Try a different setting pattern or finger waving your hair and then brushing that out. I have a middy about your length and I usually wear it with waves.

As far as brushing goes make sure you're using the right type of brush. And trust me you can brush pin curls or roller sets out a lot.

FraeuleinBerlin

One of the Regulars
Thank you!

That picture is pin-curled, although it looks pretty much the same if I set it in sponge rollers!

If you want to set in rollers and brush out to waves, what pattern to you set them in?

TheRedSquare

New in Town
Fraeulein, you are stunning! I think your hair looks lovely. Somebody can correct me if I am wrong, but for waves I believe you set each row of pincurls alternating between clockwise and counter-clockwise curls.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Fraeulein, you are stunning! I think your hair looks lovely. Somebody can correct me if I am wrong, but for waves I believe you set each row of pincurls alternating between clockwise and counter-clockwise curls.

That works well even with rollers. I don't like sponge rollers though. I used to use them, but I've found that you have to use superhuman effort not to wind the hair too tightly, otherwise the curls come out impervious to brushing, especially the longer your hair gets.

If you practice, you can actually comb the waves into your hair. This works the best :)

Last edited:

BoPeep

Practically Family
I don't like sponge rollers though. I used to use them, but I've found that you have to use superhuman effort not to wind the hair too tightly, otherwise the curls come out impervious to brushing, especially the longer your hair gets.

I totally agree. I use pin curls when I need to sleep on a set and brush rollers when I want extra shape and bounce.

Miss C

New in Town
Hello ladies, have been a lurked for a while, just wanted to say "hello" and that I got my first middy cut on Saturday!
Went armed with photos and diagrams and left wgeextremely pleased! She straightened it to make sure all was level, so I knew how it would look. Last night i tried the headband set, but I must be a fidget as most had come out of bande this morning Next time may just try in the day!
This was my first step into vintage, so I feel a lot of practise with pincurls and rollers is heading my way!
Cx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21