Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Middy Thread

LundyGirl

New in Town
Your hair looks great and I love your dress! I too am a Poirot fan (and other mysteries).

A pic of my natural curl...before the middy cut.
picture173cropsm.jpg

X
BD

BD-
I have a dress very similar to that. mine is the same pattern, and looks to be about the same size cherries as well, but its a halter top dress.....love it! and your hair is beautiful!!!

LundyGirl

New in Town
So, today I look "the big step" and had my hair cut in the "Middy" style. I'm still kind of iffy about it because i have NO IDEA how to curl my hair....So what do you guys think??? And how about my new Retro-ish shirt I found at Goodwill yesterday??

Tamra_Ann

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Black Dahlia I wish that my hair just did that naturally. I'm so jealous.

Also in reference to brushing your hair into waves. It really helps if it's set right first. I would either do finger waves or rows of pincurls in alternating directions. When I do rows of pincurls in alternating directions it seems to just brush into that shape naturally. But what you'd want to do is brush it out first just to get the curls to be less crazy. Then you would take your brush (it really should be a boar brush or at the least a natural bristle brush) and comb along with the directions of the wave. If the wave isn't defined enough you could then take some duck bill clips and place them in between your waves and spray some hairspray to help define them. I hope that makes sense.
Does everybody know how to fingerwave? If people would like I'll make a tutorial on doing them and brushing them out. Fingerwaves are literally paying my bills right now.

Thank you ginfizz and thank you for posting the fingerwave tutorial!
X
BD

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
BD-
I have a dress very similar to that. mine is the same pattern, and looks to be about the same size cherries as well, but its a halter top dress.....love it! and your hair is beautiful!!!

I too have a halter top version. One can never have too many cherry dresses! ;0
cherryc.jpg

So, today I look "the big step" and had my hair cut in the "Middy" style. I'm still kind of iffy about it because i have NO IDEA how to curl my hair....So what do you guys think??? And how about my new Retro-ish shirt I found at Goodwill yesterday??
Tamra_Ann

Poop, your photo isn't working!
X
BD

Last edited:

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family

Tamra_Ann

You can to the right place for finding out how to curl your hair that how I found the lounge in the 1st place.
You could start out easy with hot sticks or hot rollers but your curls won't last as long but they are pretty easy.
You could try a roller set sponge rollers, pillow rollers, perm rods, or my new favorite lock loops
Or you dive into the difficult stuff with pin curls.
You might want to look some of Lisa Freemont Streets tutorials on you tube then read the threads on the lounge too.
I hope you get your picture working soon I am excited to see your cut.

Becky Johnson

New in Town
Hey ladies!

I am new to FL. I have been playing with vintage styles for a couple of years now, but have gotten more dedicated to it the last few months. I have decided to try C-Dot's tutorial for a middy this afternoon. I am terrified, but I think as long as I am cautious, it will be ok. I'll let you know how it goes!

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Hey ladies!

I am new to FL. I have been playing with vintage styles for a couple of years now, but have gotten more dedicated to it the last few months. I have decided to try C-Dot's tutorial for a middy this afternoon. I am terrified, but I think as long as I am cautious, it will be ok. I'll let you know how it goes!

Welcome Becky!

I can't wait to see the results. I was going to try C-dot's tutorial, but was too chicken myself!

Your hair looks AMAZING in your avatar. Great waves!
X
BD

ginfizz

One of the Regulars
Of course Black Dahlia! I hope it was helpful. I feel a little awkward putting up a video of myself, but I hope someone can learn something from it. I'm still trying to decide if I want to make more, since it is what I do for a living.

lolly loisides the cut looks great, and I love that necklace!

Becky Johnson

New in Town
Middy1.jpg

Middy2.jpg

Middywithflower.jpg

Middywithflower2.jpg

This is blow dried and then quickly hot rolled. I plan to wash and wet set with sponge rollers tonight. The color is a little funky in the pics because my real camera was dead so I was using my phone. None of the pictures of the back came out very well because of that, but it is "u" shaped.

C-dot, you are my HERO!!

Last edited:

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Middywithflower2.jpg

This is blow dried and then quickly hot rolled. I plan to wash and wet set with sponge rollers tonight. The color is a little funky in the pics because my real camera was dead so I was using my phone. None of the pictures of the back came out very well because of that, but it is "u" shaped.

C-dot, you are my HERO!!

Magnificent, It suits you so well! And the best part is, you did it yourself. :)

Grant Fan

Practically Family
SO I have never really looked through this thread. But after my hair cut last week and being asked a few times if it was a middy, then just reading through this thread I think it might be. I took a picture of Dita Von Tease with her new shorter hair with me to the salon and I think he just sort of knocked it out of the park. but then again he loves vintage so that could have helped.

Heather

Practically Family
After reading through the last 20+ pages of this thread and seeing photos of all you lovely ladies results, I'm thinking about attempting a cut this weekend. My hair is somewhere between a half inch and an inch past my shoulders so I don't think I'm going take it too short....at first! ;)

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
Looking good ladies!! I had a middy cut in at the hairdressers months and months ago but now I'm in desperate need of a cut. I'm so tempted to follow your instructions C-dot but I'm known for being accident prone and I dread to think of the damage I could do. I have hinted to my husband that he could do it for me as he's a bit of an OCD perfectionist but he just point blank refuses!

Will have to bite the bullet and go back to the hairdressers I guess but a free cut is so much more appealing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ