Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Middy Thread

Lenore

Practically Family
I set my hair for the first time since I grew my middy out last night... I miss it...I felt lovely before.. Now I feel like a poodle doused with relaxer.

*makes face* Might be spending some time with the scissors this weekend.. or going to see my stylist and taking along a diagram.

:eek:fftopic: Zombi, I love your shower curtain. :)

rue

It's official, I'm having a middy plus cut on Thursday! And although I completely trust my stylist, I cant' help but to feel nervous!

One question I would torment everyone with - how many layers have you had cut?

I had three layers cut the first time around, but then I followed C-dots tutorial and now have two. I think it's much easier to style with two layers.

Tatum

Practically Family
I have three layers and love it, but I think I am going to grow it long again and I might go with two the next time I have it trimmed. It seems that it would be a heck of a lot easier to style, especially since I have been relying on rollers lately as sleeping on sets has been dorking up my neck. :(

crwritt

One Too Many
How do you count the layers in your hair? I ask because when I have layers cut the hair is held at an angle and cut, so it falls in layers. Are you cutting your hair in stairstep like sections?

Tatum

Practically Family
How do you count the layers in your hair? I ask because when I have layers cut the hair is held at an angle and cut, so it falls in layers. Are you cutting your hair in stairstep like sections?

It has always just seemed like three layers: how the cut goes and how I have to section it to set it (I basically have three lengths when I hold it out to set it). I never thought about it before, honestly! But it sure seems that way.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab

Exactly. In my tutorial that Rue refers to, I have two stairstep sections. Some use three or more.

Juliet

A-List Customer
All right, so I went completely adventurous (or very classic :) ), and had four layers cut. Meaning the one on the top of my head and three down the sides (and obviously the back! :D ).
It's very versatile while un-set, and I'll set it tonight - I sure do hope it'll be fine! :D

MissLaurieMarie

One of the Regulars
I am getting my middy re-shaped (and thinned!!!) tomorrow. Will be sure to post photos. Hopefully I can explain how to layer it properly (I think last time I explained it opposite, whoops).

Juliet

A-List Customer
I haven't got around to taking a picture yet, but I have to say - it really is a lot easier to set my hair now! And the back looks lovely - in neat curls. It all just ran together before.
I am ever so happy, girls! Thanks a bunch for leading by example and giving me courage to have a middy cut done!

Lenore

Practically Family
Bought the Ivan Anderson book tonight... will take it to my favorite stylist and see what she can do. :)

*Squeeeeee!* I'm excited!

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
I did it!! I used C-Dot's tutorial and cut my hair!

I had a cut in the hairdressers last Saturday. She took 4 inches off and I just wasn't that happy with the shape etc. I did take a middy diagram but she took minimal notice of it.

So I've been plucking up the courage all week. To be honest it wasn't like I had to do much - the basic shape was there I just needed to sharpen the angles.
I took a few rubbish photos to give you the gist of it but they're a bit blurry. It's not the best haircut in the world but I'm very pleased with myself! My hair is very wavy naturally so I straightened it and cut it dry.

007-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

008.jpg

I never realised how difficult it is to take a photo of the back of your own head!

SheBear74

Practically Family
I have done C-Dot's tutorial and it works great! I am growing my hair out so it's on the longer side for a middy I think.
IMG-20111228-00512.jpg

Lenore

Practically Family
Hi Lenore. I live in Houston, too. Where did you find someone to do your middy? I feel like I'm on an endless quest for one of my own.

I did my own following C-Dot's tutorial. :)

This weekend I may take my book "creative hairshaping" to my favorite stylists and see if she can follow it and give me a Middy Plus following the diagram. If it doesn't work any better than the do it yourself tutorial, I'll go back to doing it myself. I'm on the west side, so I'm not sure if my stylist (if she does a good job) would be close enough to be worth while. I'd honestly try C-Dot's tutorial first. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner