Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Middy Thread

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
The fabulous Rue tried out the cut and got some noteworthy results :) She posted the pictures here (If you'd like to re-post, Rue, then please do!)

I'm so tempted to follow your instructions C-dot but I'm known for being accident prone and I dread to think of the damage I could do.

I'm pretty sure most everyone here who has tried the cut was afraid of that at first (even I was!) It's really very difficult to mess up, especially if you make very small cuts (i.e., just to get the angles in.) Maybe you can talk your husband 'round - Men can always be talked 'round ;)

Btw, I love your avatar and the other pics you posted in the Pin-Up Thread!

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
Thanks C-dot! I love your avatar too. I'd love a little blonde streak.

Every example I've seen of your cut looks amazing and I don't think I've seen anyone make a mess of it! I'm just positive that I'd be the first! I thought about having some Dutch Courage first but decided that'd probably work against me!:D

I'll keep trying to convince myself - or the husband!

rue

The fabulous Rue tried out the cut and got some noteworthy results :) She posted the pictures here (If you'd like to re-post, Rue, then please do!)
!

Fabulous?? lol I love you for that ;)

Here ya go:

IMG_1450.jpg

IMG_1448.jpg

IMG_1451.jpg

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
Here you go Zombi.

http://youtu.be/1vJJI3LL4U8

I found something I had made for a friend awhile ago and had put on youtube and then taken off. It's really basic and doesn't go into how to do a whole style with fingerwaves, but shows the basic technique. Let me know if that helps you or if it isn't helpful let me know what you don't understand.

Also that's an unstyled middy in the video that I just left a little longer in the front.

I watched your tutorial and found it very helpful! I've had the wave clamps for a while now and have just tried shoving them in with so-so results. I got a much better set after following your combing technique.

Thank you!

Katinka von K.

A-List Customer
Ok, I hope this works as I´m linking this pic from facebook:

312851_285785078128563_100000912183601_851244_407615240_n.jpg

This is my diy-middy 2 months old and unset. I was surprised how properly cut it looks :)
(Also, in addition to the "How often do you wash...?"-thread: This is my hair today. I bleached and dyed on thursday and didn´t wash again since then.)

MissLaurieMarie

One of the Regulars
Ok, I hope this works as I´m linking this pic from facebook:

312851_285785078128563_100000912183601_851244_407615240_n.jpg

This is my diy-middy 2 months old and unset. I was surprised how properly cut it looks :)
(Also, in addition to the "How often do you wash...?"-thread: This is my hair today. I bleached and dyed on thursday and didn´t wash again since then.)

Oooh, fabulous photo, I love the colours and your hair looks so healthy! (I love the sharpness and the lighting of the photo too :D)

I have a middy/hair question - I have THICK, heavy hair that is fairly straight and fine. I can curl it no problem so long as it's mostly dry when I put it up, but once I comb it out it's a nightmare to get through it all!
Right now it's in a fairly subtle middy (My hairdresser was scared to do anything too drastic) so it doesn't have much of a U-shape to it. It's also not really layered, just whatever was left over from my previous non-middy cuts. When it's straight and dry, the longest part skims my shoulders just enough to flip it up, but when I curl it I do it fairly tightly so it falls just under my ears.
I had a haircut to thin it out in October, so I can't believe I need another one already! It's not unruly, just annoying.
To get to the point: my question is what (besides thinning the hell out of it) would help cut down the bulk of my hair? Would layering help? Do I need more of a U-shape?

Here's a recent photo of me to show what my hair looks like now:

Nov10_003.jpg

ginfizz

One of the Regulars
Yes layering would be your best bet by far. Also because if you're curling it you don't want to have it thinned out too much or it's going to end up looking weird. Layers will also help lighten the bottom of your hair and take some weight out, while allowing your top to curl better and make better shapes.
You can get the U if you want, but it won't help it be thinner or more manageable.
Also make sure when you comb it out you do it in sections, and that you're not just trying to brush the whole things out at once.

SheBear74

Practically Family
Just wanted to share cause I thought it was really funny. My husband was having his computer fixed and the guy who fixes it is now working out of his wife's beauty shop. We went to pick it up and she asked me if I needed a hair cut. I had my hair in a vintage inspired updo. I told her I was growing it out but I did ask if she knew how to cut a middy. She had a really thick accent so I think there may have been a bit of a launguage barrier. lol She looked really confused so I told her it was a vintage cut. She started nodding and said oh yes!!! I can do a mid evil hair cut! lol I then just asked for her card and said maybe I would stop by. :p

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Ladies with middies I have a holiday party to go to next weekend and I am looking for ideas for my middy. I thought maybe victory rolls but I wasn't sure. Any pictures would be much appreciated

zombi

A-List Customer
All right! Well, it's not quite a middy, but it IS a modified middy -- and it's the first step to shorter hair for me, which is a big deal:

6438625897_7fd2867675.jpg

please excuse my shiny face!! and I couldn't get a picture of the back, it was too difficult. she used a curling iron to put a wave back in. I had told her I wanted to cut for pincurling purposes so.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
just wanted to share cause i thought it was really funny. My husband was having his computer fixed and the guy who fixes it is now working out of his wife's beauty shop. We went to pick it up and she asked me if i needed a hair cut. I had my hair in a vintage inspired updo. I told her i was growing it out but i did ask if she knew how to cut a middy. She had a really thick accent so i think there may have been a bit of a launguage barrier. Lol she looked really confused so i told her it was a vintage cut. She started nodding and said oh yes!!! I can do a mid evil hair cut! Lol i then just asked for her card and said maybe i would stop by. :p

lol!!!

zombi

A-List Customer
thanks gals... I admit today I was feeling pangs of regret so the reassurance is nice!! I'm one of those people who gets attached to their hair and it will probably take me a few days to get really comfortable with it again.

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
I'm off for the chop in the morning, armed with various diagrams.

I had a modified middy (much longer length) a while back and I liked the results but I think I may be brave and go for the Femme Fatale length. Depends on how bold I'm feeling tomorrow!

I will post the results for you!

Juliet

A-List Customer
It's official, I'm having a middy plus cut on Thursday! And although I completely trust my stylist, I cant' help but to feel nervous!

One question I would torment everyone with - how many layers have you had cut?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112