Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Middy Thread

Ren Falcon

New in Town
I used the tutorial in this thread after having gone to 3 different hair stylist and I have to say it didn't come out perfect but it isn't bad either. It looks at least I think a lot better curled then when I had my hair professionally cut. Great tutorial! You ladies all look wonderful!

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
I just have to post this picture of my 12 inch middy styled vs unstyled (also with no makeup and in stupid pink pajamas). This is kind of the first time I see it unstyled in the 2 weeks I've had it re-done, and the difference is so crazy.
mfd.jpg

Eugh, I can't get the sizes right!
522298_10151401750695012_597260011_23238786_882427907_n.jpg

Last edited:

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
Thanks guys! I just measured and it is about 12 inches all over. So far I find that it's very easy to get a good cut when you just say "very layered with no feathering/razoring/thinning, and a round bottom" and tell them it's so that it curls up easily and authentically than saying "I want a middy and I want it to look like (insert styled picture)." I've never had a problem getting it done by girls who had no idea what a middy even was. I asked for long bangs because I was dying for a change and a Lisa Freemont Street video showed how easy they were to hide, which I do more often than not just because I'm not used to them and I'm not quite sure how to deal with them yet lol The setting pattern I've been using is just everything rolled under in pillow rollers up to ear level, except for what's around the face is on base angled towards the face, and they all roughly line up so they blend well when you brush it out. When I roll everything on base like I did when it was longer the shorter layers like to do their own thing and I get this big 60s looking thing going, which is fine but not what I'm after.

Miss C

New in Town
Hi ladies, am in need of a haircut and was just wondering how easy C-dot's tutorial was particularly for a novice! Am so tempted to try it, especially has have been let down by the last hairdresser (cancelled and rearranged my appt 4 times in a week :-( )

Cx

SheBear74

Practically Family
I found it to be pretty simple. :)

I do have to admit when I went to trim my hair this last time I kinda cheated. I put my hair in just one pony tail almost on top of my head and cut off about 1.5 inches. Then I let it down and shaped the bottom from there. :D

Alice~

One of the Regulars
Hello, I'm new! I've been lurking on this particular thread for a long time, thank you so much for all of the information and lovely pictures. You ladies have fantastic hair!

A few weeks ago I went to my hairdresser armed with middy diagrams and examples, but she didn't feel very comfortable and I just had a few layers instead. But I crave the middy! I've found a stylist in my area who claims to have experience with 40s styles, but now I'm not so sure. My hair-icon is Lauren Bacall - is a middy right for that look?

Juliet

A-List Customer
Alice~, it is. Even on longer hair the layers will be the same, inly the length will vary.

After some really stressful months I've rewarded myself with a visit to my stylist and this is what we did, going absolutely by the middy diagram, and cutting 4 layers.
Un-curled middy pictures ahead!

All ruffled up, so you see the layers
71555da8940a.jpg

b19391f22d0a.jpg

Curled and brushed out to a wave.
I'm sorry, the picture has a ghastly quality, that's the only light I could get :(
4d3e840723a8.jpg

virgi

New in Town
I cut my own hair into a middy, and I couldn't be happier. The key to cutting your hair in a middy, is taking each layer (you'll have about 4, 1/2 inch shorter than the last) and brushing it straight out to the side and cutting it vertically. When you cut it vertically, the sections fall back in a gentle curve, which helps to form a U. I cut my hair dry..I'll post some pictures of how well it turned out, it looks damn authentic, and I had at least 3 compliments alone today!

Alice~

One of the Regulars
Whenever I curl my hair, the bottom layer at the back falls out really quickly, and looks quite silly as my hair is naturally extremely straight. Would it be okay if I cut that bottom layer shorter than the rest - so that it's shorter than where the bottom curls sit? I don't know much about hair, but I do know that those straight bits are annoying me and ruining my hair styles!

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
Whenever I curl my hair, the bottom layer at the back falls out really quickly, and looks quite silly as my hair is naturally extremely straight. Would it be okay if I cut that bottom layer shorter than the rest - so that it's shorter than where the bottom curls sit? I don't know much about hair, but I do know that those straight bits are annoying me and ruining my hair styles!

Are you talking about the strands that sit under your hair along the nape of your neck? If so, I have that same problem too (apparently a lot of ladies do). It is my understanding it's the oil glands there that keep your hair from holding a curl. I had someone here recommend to me getting that part cut shorter than the rest, otherwise if your curls fall out you can pin them up under the rest. However I wasn't ready for the commitment of cutting that part shorter (never had it done that way before) so I've been just making do. I end up curling that layer in tighter curls and have been having better hair days with that route.

Alice~

One of the Regulars
Wow Jane! That is exactly what I mean, and I'd never even considered that. Thank you so much. I've been pinning them up like you said, but as my hair is fairly thick it can be hard to conceal everything - so I think I'll get it cut next time I visit the hairdresser. But I'll definitely try some tighter curls there first. Thank you :)

C-dot

Call Me a Cab

I have extremely straight hair too, and I personally prefer to cut that underneath bit a little shorter and put them in tighter pin-curls at night like Retro_GI_Jane recommended. I hope it turns out well for you without cutting though :)

Loveru

New in Town
Hello ladies, like you i was scared of getting the middy cut done, every salon and i mean every salon i went to had no clue what a middy cut was. At my wits end i decided to go to a hairdressing school as i had a diagram and pictures and just hoped for the best. I think once you just explian the cut as opposed to hoping that a modern hairdressers will know the style cut name for a haircut from the 40's, you'll be ok. The hairdresser supervisor was trying to say go longer because of my face shape but im lazy and i wanted it short enough so pincurls can go up easily.The hairdressers student did a great job not as round at the back as to be super authentic but that is probably best as i dont bother styling too much when im working. Ive added some self indulgent pics so you can see the fall of the hair when natural, and pincurled. P.S going to a hairdressing school salon = cheap, you learn awesome stuff and i made a friend out of my hairdresser. win/win

EdenSalem

New in Town
Hi everyone, found this site when i was googling "the middy". I have had a really hard time finding someone that can cut this hairstyle for me. I live in Swe and the only hairdresser i know that can do this lives like 5 hours away fom me. And i have bin around so many salons and tried to explain the haircut, non gets it. I went into a salon just recently and tried to explain abit what i wanted and she said "Oh yes, i know what you mean..." :) I was pleased and happy that she seemed to get what i wanted. But NO..she didint really get it and i hardly noticed any difference when done, was so unhappy. Today i went with your instructions C-Dot, didint take to much hair since i was abit scared, but it did turn out better then what i payed for! Thanks alot!! :)

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I got my hair cut into a middy and it does not work for me. I am totally unhappy with it. My hair is so fine I simply do not have enough hair to create full curls. No matter what I do, I get feathers instead. Even pincurl wet sets brush right out into 80s rocker chick FEATHERS. I hate it so I haven't been doing my hair lately. The vintage styles worked much better when I had all one length hair :( Pincurl wet sets were HUGE and FULL when I had an all-one-length bob! Oh well -- it grows back :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner