Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Middy Thread

bunny chan

Familiar Face
Sue, after seeing your pictures I'm really thinking to cut my hair this way.

I'll surely do in january, when I'll be back from Japan!

B.

~Psycho Sue~

One of the Regulars
Thanks all :) Post your results if you can! It is cool to see how different they come out from the illustrations in Ivan's book. Real hair and "drawn" hair just don't compare! haha

Smuterella

One Too Many
So is the Ivan Anderson book better than the Turudich book? From what I've seen it looks like she copied his illustrations....

bunny chan

Familiar Face
~Psycho Sue~ said:
Thanks all :) Post your results if you can! It is cool to see how different they come out from the illustrations in Ivan's book. Real hair and "drawn" hair just don't compare! haha
I don't have the book, but I'm bringing with me the image in the first post...do you think that it will be enough?

I hope so!!!

B.

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
Smuterella said:
So is the Ivan Anderson book better than the Turudich book? From what I've seen it looks like she copied his illustrations....

Hi there! Daniela's book is more detailed but many of her illustrations are directly frm Ivan Anderson's book. The Ivan Anderson book is not necessarily 'better'-but it is cheaper, certainly, than shelling out mega bucks on Turudich's out of print copy. Her book has a few sections about different styles that mimic the starlets of the day but the instructions are very basic and difficult for a novice to understand. These sections are more 'fun', than useful. Just one gal's opinion! haha

All in all, I like the Turudich book better from a collector's standpoint, but the Ivan Anderson book is more useful.

Smuterella

One Too Many
Thanks Lisa, I've got a poor quality scan of the Turudich book and am a bit strapped for cash so am not sure if the Ivan book is useful. If the sets are described more clearly with comb out instructions I might buy it though...

The Turudich book is pretty useless for actually setting your hair to a pattern as the diagrams are rtiny and the comb out instructions non-existent.

~Psycho Sue~

One of the Regulars
bunny chan said:
I don't have the book, but I'm bringing with me the image in the first post...do you think that it will be enough?

I hope so!!!

B.

That picture will tell her the basic shape of the cut (the "U" shape) but it does not explain the width and length of the layers and how they change depending on if there are on top, on the back, or on the sides. She could maybe make it up as she goes along, but that depends on how much you trust your hairdresser! My mom cut directly from the very precise instructions in the Ivan Anderson book, and there was no problems in interpreting the instructions. The bookis on Amazon and is really inexpensive. I would recommend buying it if you can manage, because it also has wonderful instructions on how to set your hair in authentic styles! :)

MarieAnne

Practically Family
C-dot said:
Ladies, if I were to film a tutorial of how to cut your Middy (using my own hair of course) would you be brave enough to try it?

Oh yes oh yes! Please. A hairstylist friend will try to give me a middy tonight. I just gave her the diagram. But she's moving in August. I've already asked my husband if he could try but he's too scared. I would love it if I could do it myself.

Lenore

Practically Family
Yay! I was hoping that someone would bump this thread. I've gotten a rec for someone who might do it well here in the West Houston area. As soon as she answers my email, I'll make an appointment and get back with you all.

P.S. C-dot, I'd LOVE a tutorial, but it would be best if *I* didn't try this on my own! I'm not psychologically over me chopping my own hair when I was 3!

1*Cool*Kitten

One of the Regulars
post #23

WOW~ Miss Sue,I peeked in the phot bucket/Flicker YOU were really "channeling" Marlene Deitrich or Greta Garbo one or two I clearly saw Bette Davis! I'm leaning more towards Greta though for the most part!
GOOD JOB!
PS love the hair too, of course!

~Psycho Sue~

One of the Regulars
Thanks Cool Kitten! I am such a photo ham! I LOVE Bette Davis very much and I love that she always played evil women looking soooo fabulous! They talk about Bette Davis eyes..i want Bette Davis hair! hehehe! Thanks for the huge compliments!
Greta and Marlene are also supreme style icons, you can't help but channel them too!

I dont think I am ever going to give up this Middy cut, I am having so much fun channeling the screen kittens! ;)

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
C-dot said:
Ladies, if I were to film a tutorial of how to cut your Middy (using my own hair of course) would you be brave enough to try it?

C-dot, I would! I've been cutting my own bangs for years and experimenting with trimming so I've learned not to fear the shears.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I'm so sorry ladies! :( I haven't been on the lounge much lately at all...

I will have a tutorial by this Monday, I promise. I will post it here (and only here!)

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I've tried to make this as foolproof as possible. Hairdressing is just like carpentry: measure twice, cut once!
**Do not attempt this with dry hair!!**

Step one: Section off you hair as follows.

Top-
HowtoCutaMiddy001.jpg

Sides-
HowtoCutaMiddy002.jpg

Back-
HowtoCutaMiddy003.jpg

Step two: Cut the sides.
All cuts with the Middy are done on an angle. Use your comb to brush your hair very smooth and flat, and angled to your chin:
HowtoCutaMiddy004.jpg

Imagine a line from your chin to your collarbone. Clamp the hair in your two fingers along this line, and cut.

Step three: Cut the top hair.
The length you use for your top hair is very much a matter of preference. They can be as short as Bettie Page's, or down to your chin. If you often wear your bangs in curly Betty Grable styles or swept to the side, they can go no further than the tip of your nose. If you usually wear it in Victory Rolls, faux forward rolls or a backward roll, they will need to be past this point.
HowtoCutaMiddy005.jpg

Clamp the hair with your two fingers in a straight line, and cut.

Step four: The back hair.
In a Middy cut, the back hair is done in a U-shape, with long layers so curls fall correctly. This extremely difficult to do by yourself, unless its like this.
Your pigtails should be placed in the centre and two-thirds of the way down the back of your head. Again, the length here is a matter of preference.
HowtoCutaMiddy006.jpg

Clamp the ends of your pigtails in an upward angle - that is, the tips of your fingers should be closer to your head than your knuckles. Cut.

Step five: Perfect the angle.
This part is tricky. Take out your pigtails and comb your hair flat all over, as vertically as possible. You will notice that there is a definite length difference between your back and side hair. As carefully as possible, even out this difference by clamping sections of hair in your two fingers.
HowtoCutaMiddy007.jpg

Remember!
-The Middy is for hair that is always curled and styled, so your cuts and lengths don't need to be exact.
-Don't get scissor-happy. If you think you've cut it too short, stop immediately. No good will come from more cuts.
-That said, there is room for error here, and if you do mess up, don't panic! Hair grows back, and with clever sets no one will know the difference.

Please let me know what you think! :) I depend on feedback to make tutorials as successful as possible.
If you have any questions before attempting, don't hesitate to e-mail me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112