Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Milwaukee Clipper: A Forgotten Art Deco Beauty Rusting on Muskegon’s Waterfront

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Meet the Milwaukee Clipper, built circa 1906 as the Juniata for the Pennsylvania Railroad’s steamship company, she was refit circa 1940 to art deco splendor.

card00659_fr.jpg

The refit also included a new, steel superstructure, a false forward funnel, air conditioned staterooms, a children's playroom, a movie theater, facilities for live entertainment, a dance floor, and capacity to carry 120 automobiles.

The Clipper plied Lake Michigan between Muskegon and Milwaukee from the early ‘40s until the 1970s when operating a car ferry on the lakes finally became too unprofitable for her owners. After being shuffled around to various locations on the lakes, she finally ended up back in Muskegon in the care of a group of dedicated volunteers.

Unfortunately, despite her largely intact originality, there is little interest in her preservation and display from any community. The Clipper struggles to even find a permanent berth in Muskegon, with multiple attempts to find her a showcase location downtown thwarted by official opposition. Her future remains uncertain, as last I heard she was badly in need of a drydocking.

Still, couldn’t you just see her as a floating hotel? I’m imagining white-jacketed pilots ferrying guests from a downtown jetty in vintage wooden speedboats. Big bands playing every night, and luxurious, streamline-moderne staterooms to accommodate guests.

A fella can dream.

-Dave

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Is Muskegon up for it, is question one? A private developer would be needed. Could they offer him an attractive partnership? I know the economy is particularly weak in Michigan, but maybe if things get a little better, a project like this could become attractive.

Right now Muskegon has only one waterfront hotel, the Shoreline Inn. Business was bad enough in '08 that it was foreclosed upon and changed owners. Don't know how it's doing now.

I've got the slogan: MUSKEGON, The Clipper City

Last edited:

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
We could spend days talking about Muskegon's economy and how that relates to issues within Michigan as a whole. If it's not Muskegon or Milwaukee, I don't think there's a community up for saving the Clipper. What Muskegon needs to do is swallow its pride and try to attract some investors from Grand Rapids, which is really the economic powerhouse in Michigan at the moment. There's a class envy element going on, though, and I don't have much hope for that happening.

-Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo