Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The most ridiculous Himel yet? Freenote Collab Beck.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
You’ve said it many times already.
This is actually the first comment I made about this jacket's proportions in this entire thread. I don't know what you're talking about.
The fact that people buy into this and will believe you is the problem. People are gullible and you hammer home your opinion.
I'm just giving my opinion, it's up to people themselves whether or not they believe my opinion.

Himel hammers home how he is the only one that does pattern making ''the old way'. Following your logic that's a problem because people are gullible, they might actually believe him. Oh wait Himel's opinions are just marketing bs right?

Gav

Practically Family
Ok. I thought I saw you making the same point over. I apologise for that if I got it wrong.

I will gladly admit if I make a mistake. The rest of you points are pretty weak though.

marker2037

Practically Family
You’ve said it many times already. And the “proof” that you use to evidence it is laughable.
I’m not talking about the science of sleeve length, you are one one who went as far as making montage images with the scale bars. Not me.
I’m just pointing out that it is ridiculously unsound.
The fact that people buy into this and will believe you is the problem. People are gullible and you hammer home your opinion.
I don't know man, measurements or no measurements, this looks off compared to a Schott 613, for example. I know the Schott isn't a flat lay, but those Himel sleeves look drastically short. The Schott is a 25" back length too, supposedly.

himel.jpg

schott.jpg

Gav

Practically Family
Honestly, measurements aside. I think if I wanted to, I could lay a jacket down and make it look like that. It says more about their poor photography and ability to make a jacket look like crap. Look at the way the sleeves are bent over.

For clarity, I don’t like the jacket at all. There have been a lot of strong opinions spoken in this thread and some seem to be motivated by ill will.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up

No, it is not the problem. Anyone who is dissuaded from dropping three large on this strange creation should be grateful to Marc. Problem is people are snapping it up. There will be more poorly dressed people on IG soon. Just because it says Freenote Cloth on the label does not mean it is any good.

NYDRH

One of the Regulars
This is pure speculation, but I suspect the t-rex measurements just might be incorrect. People measure things differently you know. Seen it a bunch.
I think this is a good point. We don't really know how these things fit from a pic of a jacket laying on the ground, and what could be a bad set of written measurements.

Honestly, measurements aside. I think if I wanted to, I could lay a jacket down and make it look like that. It says more about their poor photography and ability to make a jacket look like crap. Look at the way the sleeves are bent over.
I generally believe a person isn't so clueless as to spend $3k on a new leather jacket that has sleeves that don't reach their wrist bone(obviously there will always be exceptions). And the Freenote guys or Himel would sell someone like that to their customers. It strains credulity. They're in the business of fashion, it's their livelihood and I do believe they care about their business and their customers.

I've had a couple of Himel rtw jackets and they fit fine, no different than the average issues I have with rtw.

This is a Himel Avro Collab with Freenote. Whether it strikes your fancy or not I think the proportions are fine, I'm satisfied. It's not the one that started this thread & I've never personally seen that one, but this is an example of his RTW:
PXL_20220113_172122410~2.jpg

Outside of the strange, just awful measurements of these jackets I find other things to be just as worse:

-the stitching on the neck clasp is absolutely awful

View attachment 502281

- The coin pocket dimensions are brutal, as discussed

- The lack of a front drop at all

View attachment 502282

-The shoulders looking so weird and narrow and LOW from both the back shots (above) and the front shot (below) that it looks like you need a hunchback to fit it.

View attachment 502284

I really struggle to see how his jackets are worth what he charges.
The stitching on that throat latch is absolutely laughable and atrocious. This is what I saw on the Mildblend jackets too, primarily at the collars and sleeve seams and cuffs. Let’s be honest here, this kind of work is FAR worse than the cheapest, made in China, pleather piece of shit nobody on this forum would ever dare wear. I don’t see how anyone in their right mind looks at the details of this jacket and says “yeah, I’ll pay $3K for that”. It’s pure ignorance and brand elitism and it’s a joke ( played on the customer). Period and end of story.

I won’t even go into the fact that the leather looks like the same Buffalo hide used by Straight to Hell. Although I just did, so there’s that too.

I don’t care who made this jacket. I would blast it to bits for what it is no matter who put their name in it. Looks like apprentice level work, and should be priced at around $175. Shipping and tax included. And you should get a “My tribe” bumper sticker with it.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
Something else maybe worth noting is as a house style, Himel favors a shorter sleeve by design. And by shorter I mean ending right at the wrist. So there's that. A lot of people wear MC jackets with a longer sleeve, so many makers may add length there in their designs.

I ordered both a Kensington and an Imperial from Himel, and I like my sleeves longer so that's how I spec'd them. When I got the jackets it was a bit of an issue because both those designs taper to a narrow cuff which really didn't jibe with where they hit my hands.

Jasonissm

Practically Family
The other jackets on the page have what appear to be more "normal" sleeve lengths. The details on this jacket are quite nice, the pattern itself somewhat perfunctory:
View attachment 502242
View attachment 502243
I like the triangle patch reinforcements on the pocket edges, is this a vintage detail? I have only seen it on vintage cloth jackets but unable to find references on leather. I think I saw one where it was reinforced like this with a pocket repair but I can't find the image anymore.

Here's another angle, sleeve not bent over.

View attachment 502289
Is this the Himel? The lining looks lovely, Hyakutora/hundred tigers classic Aloha shirt design. I don't like those proportions for body-sleeve though.

I like the triangle patch reinforcements on the pocket edges, is this a vintage detail? I have only seen it on vintage cloth jackets but unable to find references on leather. I think I saw one where it was reinforced like this with a pocket repair but I can't find the image anymore.

Is this the Himel? The lining looks lovely, Hyakutora/hundred tigers classic Aloha shirt design. I don't like those proportions for body-sleeve though.
I’ve seen it in vintage stuff and new stuff. Just a technique and I agree a nice detail. Himel actually does it exceedingly well too. The Frobisher (I believe) has that detail on the hand warmers. That jacket I posted is not a Himel. Looks like a mash up Halfbelt/HWM type. Not a thrilling design but not terrible.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Outside of the strange, just awful measurements of these jackets I find other things to be just as worse:

-the stitching on the neck clasp is absolutely awful

View attachment 502281

- The coin pocket dimensions are brutal, as discussed

- The lack of a front drop at all

View attachment 502282

-The shoulders looking so weird and narrow and LOW from both the back shots (above) and the front shot (below) that it looks like you need a hunchback to fit it.

View attachment 502284

I really struggle to see how his jackets are worth what he charges.
seems like the sleeve has football underarm on the rear side, perhaps that's the reason the sleeve looks weird while being photographed flat especially without mannequin or at least without a wide shoulder hanger because perhaps there is some 3d shape on the sleevepost, I don't like the style though

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I´d really like to see it in real life now.

Shout out to potential buyers from TFL: Don´t be afraid to post pictures!

I agree about measurements being weird, but I always loved the "Avro" on other people, so I´d be surprised if Himel really messed it up big time.

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars
Uh oh. More fraudsters apparently.
View attachment 501887
Hi Guys

This word ‘bespoke’ was not in the original release of our new website, but recently our website developers have been fine tuning some of our text to make it search engine optimised (SEO) to improve our ranking on Google. They incorrectly used the term ‘bespoke’ here in a more broad sense to describe our personalisation process (leather and lining selection), when of course the term ‘bespoke’ has a much more specific meaning which carries a lot of weight and expectation – especially in our neck of the woods.

While we’ve had oversight of a lot of the SEO work, we haven’t had oversight of each word they’ve amended within the site, otherwise this would never have been approved. Nevertheless, this is one is on us and we’ve made sure the term is removed from our website and not used going forward.

As mentioned in a previous post, we do what we can to be as upfront and transparent around the level of alternations/modifications – we pride ourselves on being one of the most flexible and accommodating companies who do what we do, but as we all know there is limits to this. We always make these limits clear with customers when in communication with them at the initial stages of sizing queries and we have a couple of questions in our sizing FAQs that clarify our position and the service we offer very explicitly.

It is not our intention (nor is it in our interest) to mislead customers about the service we offer so thank you for bringing this to our attention and we’ve very sorry for any confusion this mistake has caused.

Observe

One Too Many
Hi Guys

This word ‘bespoke’ was not in the original release of our new website, but recently our website developers have been fine tuning some of our text to make it search engine optimised (SEO) to improve our ranking on Google. They incorrectly used the term ‘bespoke’ here in a more broad sense to describe our personalisation process (leather and lining selection), when of course the term ‘bespoke’ has a much more specific meaning which carries a lot of weight and expectation – especially in our neck of the woods.

While we’ve had oversight of a lot of the SEO work, we haven’t had oversight of each word they’ve amended within the site, otherwise this would never have been approved. Nevertheless, this is one is on us and we’ve made sure the term is removed from our website and not used going forward.

As mentioned in a previous post, we do what we can to be as upfront and transparent around the level of alternations/modifications – we pride ourselves on being one of the most flexible and accommodating companies who do what we do, but as we all know there is limits to this. We always make these limits clear with customers when in communication with them at the initial stages of sizing queries and we have a couple of questions in our sizing FAQs that clarify our position and the service we offer very explicitly.

It is not our intention (nor is it in our interest) to mislead customers about the service we offer so thank you for bringing this to our attention and we’ve very sorry for any confusion this mistake has caused.
At the risk of sounding like a fan boy (despite not currently having an Aero in the rotation), absolute class act right here. This is part of why Aero is so highly regarded around here.

Fonzie

One Too Many
Hi Guys

This is how you do it. Well done Mr. Calder, a class act.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21