Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE Most Unlikely Leading Man of the Golden Era

Feraud

Bartender
I know he's just 'acting,' but I just can't watch Rock Hudson movies and not think about his true lifestyle (not that there's anything wrong with it)....especially Ice Station Zebra.
Not to sidetrack the thread too much but there are plenty of "straight" actors whose personal life makes me cringe. Rock Hudson is not an unlikely leading man because he was gay. If he have to consider personal lives then we can exclude 95% of our idols from the past and present.

Seriously, does this look like an unlikely leading man??
http://shots.oxo.li/hot/OXO-World/Rock_Hudson.jpg

Now back to the show. :)

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
I'll go w/Bogart being pretty unlikely.

I've never seen the appeal of John Garfield.

And I think Orson Welles is usually far out of his range in those leading roles. The Lady from Shanghai?

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Well the reason I said I didn't consider Fred MacMurray and Rock Hudson as good leading men is because I already had preconceptions of them from their later years...before I had seen any of their earlier stuff. I grew up watching My Three Sons...I saw him as an old laid-back, pipe smoking dad. So I thought it was pretty funny the first time I saw one of his earlier films as the gun-totin' cool dude. Heck, back in college I bought an original poster from the film Borderline just for fun because it showed him pointing a gun right at me.

As for Rock Hudson...I really hadn't seen (or didn't remember) any of his earlier films until after he had died of AIDS. So to watch him in Pillow Talk it's in the back of my head that he's really faking his romance with Doris Day, but that's why they're called actors, aren't they. There are other leading men who's off-set reputations now affect the way I view them on-screen...after it was revealed that they were unfaithful husbands, wife-beaters, druggies, etc.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Hemingway Jones said:
But, he doesn't have the natural good looks and bearing of a Cary Grant or Marlon Brando. To me it makes he ascendency that much more of an accomplishment. It makes him that much more impressive.

Bogart had other qualities too: cynicism (he fitted straight into the post-war mood here...it wasn't all optimism. see film noir) and a great distinctive voice. he was the underdog. the survivor.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
Rock Hudson is not an unlikely leading man because he was gay. If he have to consider personal lives then we can exclude 95% of our idols from the past and present.
You mean 95% of them are GAY??!! :eek: <Fletch freaks out>

Just kidding. :D One assumes the actual people have feet of clay like the rest of us, unlike their personas.

Or are you saying 19 in 20 of them are more messed up than your average civilian???? That's an interesting (and probably defensible, given the effects of shobiz fame) thesis.

Feraud

Bartender
Fletch said:
You mean 95% of them are GAY??!! :eek: <Fletch freaks out>

Just kidding. :D One assumes the actual people have feet of clay like the rest of us, unlike their personas.

Or are you saying 19 in 20 of them are more messed up than your average civilian???? That's an interesting (and probably defensible, given the effects of shobiz fame) thesis.
haha, no I have no idea how many people are gay!

What I am saying is no one could hold up to the scruitiny celebrities are subjected to. Comparing the classy actors of yesterday to those of today is futile. They live in two completely different worlds.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Edward G. Robinson as a lead is my pick. Just could never get over his gangster persona which typecast him to a high degree and made him unbelievable in any other characterization.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Hemingway Jones said:
Your posting the AFIs Top Actors means nothing to me. Are you posting it as a weapon against me somehow?
I was agreeing with your choice of Bogart. I posted the AFI list of top leading men to illustrate how he pales in comparison to the others on the list, aesthetically speaking.

BTW, opposing views don't normally begin with the phrase, "I Concur".;)

bingolittle

New in Town
Hemingway Jones said:
I hope you guys are getting my point.

I love Bogart. I think he is the greatest. He is probably my favorite actor of all time.

But, he doesn't have the natural good looks and bearing of a Cary Grant or Marlon Brando. To me it makes he ascendency that much more of an accomplishment. It makes him that much more impressive.

Your posting the AFIs Top Actors means nothing to me. That list is of actors, not leading men, and certainly not of "least obvious leading men." Are you posting it as a weapon against me somehow? If so, what are you disagreeing with, because I haven't a clue. [huh] I think we're all in agreement.
...bogart is an unlikely choice as a leading man...he just was not as striking as some of the others...brando was an exceptional actor, just not likable IMO.....

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Tomasso said:
I was agreeing with your choice of Bogart. I posted the AFI list of top leading men to illustrate how he pales in comparison to the others on the list, aesthetically speaking.

BTW, opposing views don't normally begin with the phrase, "I Concur".;)
Well, you sure got me there! lol

You know how it is, sometimes you wonder if your message is getting across. ;)

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
William Bendix, who was a lead in several big time movies. Guy looked, talked, and acted like they just pulled him off the docks.

richstyle

New in Town
The Ultimate Golden Era Man of Style

Chic, rakishly charming, mysteriously dangerous, , a debonair villain in most of his films, Zachary Scott was imho the ultimat man of Golden Era style. Too bad he's not celebated more, and didn't make more films, but he died young, at 51, and typecasting limited the range of his roles in Hollywood. But as the villain in Mildred Pierce opposite Joan Crawford he had style to burn, baby, burn.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Post-WW2 regular Joes

Edmond O'Brien

bigamist212.jpg

John (Mr. Anne Baxter) Hodiak

9556.jpg

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
LizzieMaine said:
Kay Kyser. Lots of fun as a bandleader, and he's surprisingly good as the focal character in his films. (How many other novelty-band personalities of the day ever got co-billing with John Barrymore?)

I agree with you. I better, since I am from his home town.lol I just love his movies.

Gray Ghost

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum