Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The New James Stewart Biography

lindylady

A-List Customer
Hey, everyone,

I was in the bookstore the other day and saw a new book detailing the life of James Stewart. I'm a big fan of his movies and was wondering if anyone has picked up a copy of the book yet. Let me know what you think of it!

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Jimmy

As I was leaving Barnes&Noble yesterday, I saw the book atop
a promo pyramid, stopped for a few minutes and flipped through it.
Impressive, but I've a stack of other reading right now.
:eek:fftopic: One of my Army buddies told me that his father,
a career master sergeant, once sat next to Brig. General James Stewart
in a C-130 flying out of Saigon. General Stewart served as a briefing
officer during Vietnam, a little known fact. Quite a guy.

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
If it is the one that details his military career, I have read it and it is very good. Anytime that they have a section where they quote him, It always comes out in my mind in his voice. Really loved the book. I believe it was called Bomber Pilot.

GG

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Not That One

Jimmy Stewart: Bomber Pilot is also en excellent read. But this is the newest one:

1400052211.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V57220873_.jpg

canarsie

New in Town
Met him several times when he hosted the Jimmy Stewart Marathon Relay in Los Angeles. Terrific guy.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I stopped in Jimmy's hometown of Indiana, PA (about 80 mi E of Pittsburgh) last month and I'm glad I did. The Stewart Museum is on the top floor of the public library and well worth a visit for memorabilia and some background on the Stewart clan (of Scots-Irish origin and for 100+ years ran a hardware business called The Big Warehouse - there's a LIFE magazine spread up of Jimmy visiting the store after his demob from WW2, lounging behind the counter like a young stock clerk even tho he was a Colonel at the time.)

Every movie Jimmy did is portrayed in a still, poster, and blerb (his very first was a 2 reeler he didn't even get screen credit for). His Air Force uniforms and one of his cowboy getups are on view.

Indiana is a very pleasant small city, home to IUP University. If you stop, don't miss Rosanna's restaurant and bakery. Great hot lunch table and real old-fashioned good cookies!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot