Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The News from Lake Wobegon & Church Pew hat holder clips

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
It's been a quiet week in Lake Wobegon, my home town. Yesterday was a beautiful winter's day, clear blue skies and pleasantly warm for winter afternoon temperatures. The sort of day that makes you think of death which is why I drove to Lake Wobegon. It turns out the long time owner of the Chatterbox Cafe passed away and I drove to Lake Wobegon to pay my respects. I worked at the Chatterbox Cafe all through high school and the money I saved helped pay my way when I attended the University of Minnesota. Funeral visitations in Lake Wobegon are held at the Church of Our Lady of Perpetual Responsibility as the local funeral parlor is much too small to accomodate much of a crowd.

While standing in line to greet the family I noticed something in the church pews which I had not thought about for quite some time. In each pew there are metal hat holder clips which are fastened to what is the backrest of the pew in front of you. As a youth my dad would fasten his hat to the clip each Sunday at mass, a rather ingenious solution to the problem of where to set a hat. I used to play with the clips when I was bored in church until mom glanced at me with her death stare at which point my survival instincts kicked in and I acted with renewed reverence.

So the long winded point of my post is has anyone seen similar hat clips in other churches or other places? I do not recall having seen them anywhere else, not even in other churches in the area. As fewer and fewer men wear hats the clips do not likely get as much use as they did in my youth, but as I said above the item is one of those simple, but perfect solutions for a hat storage in public problem.

I reached the front of the line and paid my respects to the family who were holding up well all things considered. The kids were about my age, I grew up a block from their house and worked with some of them during my time at the cafe, and I had not seen most of them in over twenty years. I got in my car and drove home thinking about life, death, high school and church pew hat clips.

That's the news from Lake Wobegon where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking and all the children are above average.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran