Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

carter

I'll Lock Up
Ordinary Guy said:
It was a Wintry snowy day today. I was leaving a store and wearing my Baily Briar Safari Fedora and I spotted someone walking towards the entrance with a nice looking Fedora ,,, we nodded and I said nice lid, he replied "Baseball caps just don't make it anymore" and I noticed all the people around us were smiling and nodding......

Warmed up the weather a bit it did.... :D
:cool2: :) :cheers1:

funneman

Practically Family
For years my morning show partner wore a Panama Hat,
bright Hawaiian shirt, thick beard and sunglasses at every radio and TV appearance we made. Even on billboards.

Over the years he was recognized everywhere we went, even in the Bahamas. And there would always be two or three people that would show up at the Halloween party costume contest each year dressed like Sonny.

Colby Jack said:
Was that Sonny Fox?

Yes it was. See what I mean?lol :eusa_clap

Tommy Fedora

One of the Regulars
Once more..

I wrote this on another thread a while ago so pardon me if I'm repeating myself.
I was walking thru the NY Port Authority to catch my bus to go home from work when I passed a woman handing out pamphlets for something or other.
I was wearing the black beater my son gave me for Christmas (bad weather) when she looked and me and said " you look like a movie star ! ". I was in kind of a hurry so I didn't ask if she meant George Clooney or Woody Allen.

funneman

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
Was that the same Sonny Fox of Wonderama? (NY TV show)

Actually Sonny Fox from Wonderama sued my partner over use of the name. Since my buddy was working at the time (KHJ/LA) and the first SF wasn't, my buddy won. lol

Sorry, this is a bit :eek:fftopic: .

PM me for a pretty funny story about the name.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Another one...

Today, since it rained in L.A., I wore my black, U.S. Army trench coat, black "Hassidic" fedora, and blue pin-stripe, double-breasted suit. One of my students looked at me, beaming, and remarked, "Mr. B., you look like a detective!" To me it was a compliment, so I quickly answered, "Thank you!" On a similar note, one of our secretaries was on the phone when I walked into the office, dressed the same as above. She told the other person on the line, "Oh, it's Dick Tracy." I just realized how well it ties in with the above theme...

DerMann

Practically Family
I think the most amusing comment I've received thus far was from one of my friends here at college.

One day I was standing in front of my dormitory having a conversation with a few friends of mine and this guy comes over and introduces himself. After talking with him a while, he told me that he though I was a detective for the longest time.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Most of the comments I get are of the "where'd you get that hat?" nature.
I think most folks like the idea of a man wearing a hat.
Most of the comments I get are positive. There might be a bit of "ribbing" but at the heart of it people like hats!

carldelo

One Too Many
Today I wore a brown raincoat and a chocolate brown Stetson Ashland to our faculty meeting. My boss told me I looked like I stepped out of a Raymond Chandler novel, so I answered "mission accomplished".

dnjan

One Too Many
carldelo said:
... to our faculty meeting. My boss told me I looked like I stepped out of a Raymond Chandler novel, so I answered "mission accomplished".
What department? You evidently associate with a higher level of faculty than I do (the best I ever get from my faculty colleagues is a look of tollerence).

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I got the "Inspector Gadget" comment today, though it was meant more as a ribbing joke. I was in the university cafeteria getting food to go and one of the janitors who I sometimes assist in security matters while I'm on shift made the comment. It snowed here last night and was cold this morning, so I was wearing my beige trenchcoat and Adam fedora.

Widebrim said:
Today, since it rained in L.A., I wore my black, U.S. Army trench coat, black "Hassidic" fedora, and blue pin-stripe, double-breasted suit. One of my students looked at me, beaming, and remarked, "Mr. B., you look like a detective!" To me it was a compliment, so I quickly answered, "Thank you!" On a similar note, one of our secretaries was on the phone when I walked into the office, dressed the same as above. She told the other person on the line, "Oh, it's Dick Tracy." I just realized how well it ties in with the above theme...

carldelo

One Too Many
dnjan said:
What department? You evidently associate with a higher level of faculty than I do (the best I ever get from my faculty colleagues is a look of tollerence).

Engineering, believe it or not. He wears a Kangol lightweight wool fedora. Another engineering prof wears an outback style, also wool, and one math prof wears a deerstalker he picked up in Scotland a few years back - he carries it off quite well. Several of the younger faculty were asking about where to pick up a hat, the different types, etc., so I'm thinking I can bring a few into the fold. It helps that our campus is on a windy peninsula - a hat really makes a difference here. Keep wearing the hat - maybe they'll come around - if not, at least you'll be the warm one. Cheers

funneman

Practically Family
A banner day!

Driving my daughter to school this morning, we stopped in at the local fast-food drive-thru. This very young, attractive girl at the window says to me
"Nice hat...it's a fedora, right?" I said "yes", grinned sheepishly, thanked her and drove away.

About an hour later I walked into my bank. The woman at the front desk turned around to greet me, her face lit up and she says "Well, look at you!
Is that a new hat?" (Navy blue Borsalino). I replied no, I'd had it for about a year. She says "Well I always see you in a brown one, that one is Navy Blue, I really like that one." I, of course thanked her...a lot, and went on the the teller window. While I was conducting my transaction I could hear this woman telling another employee about how I always dress so nicely, and always wear at matching hat and ALWAYS wear it cocked to the side "like they used to do."

Now that's the way to start a day!

:p

Shel

New in Town
Nicest Comment

I don't know if this falls under the "nicest comment" category or just a comment that made me smile, but here it is: I was leaving a steak house in NY with some friends last week when, due to the volume of liquid I consumed (largely alcohol), I thought it would be a good idea to hit the men's room first. I put on my old Whippet and walked through the bar area in search of the right door. I then heard a fairly loud voice from the bar say "Hey Elliot Ness........ it's the door to the left". I looked over and saw a younger man sitting at the bar with his glass held high in my direction. I nodded, thanked him and moved on. The irony is that I'm a retired ATF agent, so his comment had special meaning to me. My friends missed the whole thing, but it did make me smile.

ortega76

Practically Family
Yesterday, I stopped in at a discount retailer (K&G) to pick up a few shirts and ties for my new sales/customer service gig. They typically have a nice stock of relatively cheap wool hats like Stacy Adams or Steve Harvey brand stuff. I was wearing a vintage chocolate brown Stetson stingy. As I was heading to the register, there were some guys trying on hats for their ladies. One of the ladies made a beeline straight for me and I asked if I got my hat in the store. She said it was so much nicer than the ones she sees around town.

univibe88

One Too Many
KatintheHat said:
It scares me walking into a store like that wearing a hat. I afraid of being accused of stealing my own hat.

I wish they would accuse me of stealing it, so I can laugh hysterically whilst saying "oh no, you are most mistaken - you do NOT sell a hat like this one."lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn