Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

Down2BDapper

Familiar Face
Today, while at my friends house, his father out of the blue says to me "Aren't you the one that wears the hats?" Now, I'm never really around this man very much and I don't think I've ever worn a hat the times I have been, so I don't know how he knew that; I guess my friend told him or something. So, I go "Yeah, sometimes." And he says "I'm thinking about getting me one of those fedoras. Where do you buy yours?" So, I told him the best place to go and how much they were and all that. It made me feel proud. Another convert and I wasn't even trying.

Anachronism

One of the Regulars
I was picking my friend up, wearing a trench coat and a fedora and he said I was looking "very dapper" :)

when I got my hair cut for the first time, my best friend (who is male) said it reminded him of Bettie Page (his favorite pin-up).
I mean, how often do you get compliments on your hair from a male?

Last night my friend mike said I looked like I was in Casablanca because of my trench! I am now going to call it my casablanca trench because I've heard that quite a bit

The most recent was my friend, about an hour ago, saying she loved my skirt (she didn't even know i made it myself, which made me feel awesome)

Rex

New in Town
Potentially THE single reason I will continue to become more fanatic about hats.

I only have 2 hats: a wool Borsalino Rex and a Monticristi Panama Fino. Maybe it is because I am younger than the average person that would wear a fedora in my area (31), serving to draw more attention than expected, but it has led to an unequivocal increase in first impressions and second looks. Two examples (and ONLY 2):

1) I'm in a Sheets convenience store with a long row of refrigerators for drink selections (I was standing in front of the Coke products debating which drink to buy). An exceptionally attractive woman is walking down the row looking into the coolers. She then stares at me, walks in front of me and then once past me, stops and asks "Excuse me, could you help me find where the Coke is?" With it being right in front of both of us, I said, "Here it is." Embarrassed, she said, "Oh my gosh, sorry, I just don't see men that can pull off a hat like that very often." .....Wow.

2) Today I went to Starbucks and ordered my usual. As someone else poured it, I handed the lady at the register a gift card (maybe not quite as impressively beautiful). We both stood there until the man handed her my drink. She then exclaimed the price like I hadn't handed her my payment. When I pointed to the card in her hand, she said, "Woops. That's embarrassing. I guess I was admiring the hat so much that I forgot."

I've worn impressive suits, impressive shoes, been recognized in impressive situations and nothing so far has led to more genuine comments than my hats. It has honestly taken me off guard and is (after some introspection) clearly the reason I am becoming more fanatic about hats. And I don't even have a felt fedora yet!

P.S. It also doesn't help the matter that every time my 3 year old puts on a hat he says, "I look like Daddy!".

MattJH

One Too Many
Today a man and his wife approached me and he asked me where I got my hat. I was wearing my brown Akubra Federation IV. They both asked to feel it and his wife remarked that it had "a wonderful hand" to it. I gave him the URL to HatsDirect along with my email, since he's also looking for a panama and figured I'd send some business to Bob. I'll give him the URL for this place, too, when he contacts me.

That's definitely the first time anybody ever remarked on the "hand" of any hat I was wearing. Heh.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
I have often told my wife...

Rex said:
Two examples (and ONLY 2):

1) "Oh my gosh, sorry, I just don't see men that can pull off a hat like that very often."

2) "Woops. That's embarrassing. I guess I was admiring the hat so much that I forgot."
The difference between a man and a woman:

If a woman is walking down the street and two consecutive fellows smile at her, she thinks: "Damn, I look good today!"

If a man is walking down the street and two consecutive dames smile at him, he thinks: "Damn, my fly must be open!"

Rex

New in Town
LOL

Zemke Fan said:
The difference between a man and a woman:

If a woman is walking down the street and two consecutive fellows smile at her, she thinks: "Damn, I look good today!"

If a man is walking down the street and two consecutive dames smile at him, he thinks: "Damn, my fly must be open!"

That's fantastic :)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Friday evening, after leaving that terrific evening at the Edison Hotel with George Gee and Bella Hell and Mike, et al, I was strolling down Broadway near Times Square, happily humming a melody. I was wearing my vintage tux, gray cashmere blend top coat, black homburg and white silk scarf. I had had a fabulous evening.
Suddenly a VERY lovely young woman who happened to be walking along near me asked what tune I was humming, and we chatted for a moment. (It was actually San Antonio Rose, one of my favorite humming tunes.) She was from Indiana and this was her very first trip to New York.
As I turned for the subway she said "Well, you look just lovely." I told her she looked lovely too. And wasn't just because I had been enjoying the open bar at the Edison. ;) It was a lovely moment. Made my evening.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
Friday evening, after leaving that terrific evening at the Edison Hotel with George Gee and Bella Hell and Mike, et al, I was strolling down Broadway near Times Square, happily humming a melody. I was wearing my vintage tux, gray cashmere blend top coat, black homburg and white silk scarf. I had had a fabulous evening.
Suddenly a VERY lovely young woman who happened to be walking along near me asked what tune I was humming, and we chatted for a moment. (It was actually San Antonio Rose, one of my favorite humming tunes.) She was from Indiana and this was her very first trip to New York.
As I turned for the subway she said "Well, you look just lovely." I told her she looked lovely too. And wasn't just because I had been enjoying the open bar at the Edison. ;) It was a lovely moment. Made my evening.

you didn't happen to walk by an Irish pub by broadway did you? I recall nearly bumping into a gentleman in nice attire and smiled at him, thinking "I wonder if he could be a lounge member?" just curious

this didn't happen to me, but while dining today a little boy said rather loudly about my brother" look mommy, a real cowboy!" and gawked at him the whoel meal barely eating. It made my brother feel all warm and fuzzy lol

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Well, this is me with the mustache. I walked past the Hard Rock Cafe, among other places, so if you were near there, you might have seen me. This was Friday. Were you there Friday or Thursday? I had my gray coat and black homburg on.
IMG_0689.JPG

Hey, we gotta do a Monday at Sofia's with Vince Giordano!

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
...I did see a guy wearing a full tux...you don't recall seeing a girl with a grey fedora and blue work coat do you?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Ahhh . . . gee, among the other million people swarming around Times Square, it's hard to tell. Eight million stories in the Naked City, several of them involving tuxedos and fedoras!

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
A few years ago I was at an antiques fair wearing a Sherlock Holmes deerstalker. Even at an antiques fair this sort of hat can stick out. When I walked past a stand an elderly man came up to me and said "I've been waiting for you to come past. I've got a deer to sell you." He then showed me a stuffed deer for hanging on the wall.

Cody Pendant

One of the Regulars
Deja Vou on the complaments!

Several days ago I got the same comment twice the same day, from two different people, first in a restaurant and then a store.
In the lobby area as we were walking in I hear a younger man say, "I wish I had the balls to wear a hat like that."
Couple of hours latter the same thing happens,,,deja vou. I had to check to see that it wasn't the same fellow. I just turned and smiled and said, "Everyman should wear a hat like this".
I never thought of it quite that way before, but now thats a real complement.:D

Torpedo

One Too Many
Cody Pendant said:
(...) I hear a younger man say, "I wish I had the balls to wear a hat like that."
Couple of hours latter the same thing happens,,,deja vou. I had to check to see that it wasn't the same fellow. I just turned and smiled and said, "Everyman should wear a hat like this".

Hi,

I must said I have heard variants of the same comment several times, although not from complete strangers, but from fellow coworkers or relatives. It would seem some people are not ready to take the step, unless wearing hats becomes a fashion. This allows those of us to dare to stand out from the crowd... ;)

rrog

A-List Customer
Cody Pendant said:
Several days ago I got the same comment twice the same day, from two different people, first in a restaurant and then a store.
In the lobby area as we were walking in I hear a younger man say, "I wish I had the balls to wear a hat like that."

I feel that any time someone comments admiringly on my, uh, testicular fortitude, that's a good thing! :D

rrog

donCarlos

Practically Family
This was so far my best evening ever!

Me and my friends went to a theatre to see The Bald Soprano by Eugene Ionescu (yes, it´s probably my all time favourite), I wore a modern pinstripe peak lapel black suit, white shirt with red vintage tie and white pocket square. Hat was grey german-made fedora with home-made black ribbon.

First compliment was from our former latin teacher from the high school who we incidentaly met at the theatre, she told me that "you can´t see such examples of men´s elegance these days" right in front of her husband - of course he didn´t look too happily lol

The second compliment came from two german girls in the tram, they asked me where I got the hat. I put the hat off, showed them the sweatband and said "Vereinigte Hutwerken Guren GmbH." and that I bought it in Berlin. They were really surprised.

Yes, a truly great evening.

dostacos

Practically Family
Widebrim said:
Unfortunately, she is rather good looking, making the compliment all the more difficult to receive. Plus, I wouldn't want her Italian/Cherokee husband finding out about it, even though I'm mostly paisano myself...:eek:
yeah the Italian in him would contract out the HIT to the Cherokee in him and then....:eek: :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou