Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
There was a huge school group at the museum I was at earlier this week. While sitting at a bench outside, some of them (around 12 years old or so) asked if they could have their picture with me, so I said sure. Then the teacher came up and told me I had caused quite a stir among the students and wanted my picture with the class for their classroom board. And then after that some more of them wanted their picture with me (one of them asked how I kept the moustache curled, and if I was posh. The girls with him were rather mortified). So that was a little surreal, but kind of neat at the same time. I've been asked for my picture a couple times at vintage fairs, but never out basically on the street.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
150719541 said:
No podía recordar, cuando escuchó los comentarios buenos, porque siempre he estado alrededor de los hombres y las mujeres positivas, no como una persona loca, borrachos o niños delincuence, y desde allí, se oyen todos los tiempos y la familia me comentarios agradables.: Eusa_clap: eusa_clap

Pues, eso si' esta' bien, mi amigo. Esta' Vd. muy afortundado recibir comentarios agradables. ?Se ven muchos sombreros fedoras en su parte de Mexico?--(trans.)-Well, that is good, my friend. You are very fortunate to receive pleasant remarks. Are many hats (fedoras) seen in your part of Mexico?

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Nick D said:
one of them asked how I kept the moustache curled, and if I was posh.

That is a great story, but forgive my ignorance, what does posh mean in this context? I have never heard it applied to a person before.

Hereward

One of the Regulars
Posh was originally applied to people. One theory as to its origin is that it referred to the cabins that travellers had on ocean liners. The most comfortable ones between England and India meant you were on port out, starboard home.

carldelo

One Too Many
Hereward said:
Posh was originally applied to people. One theory as to its origin is that it referred to the cabins that travellers had on ocean liners. The most comfortable ones between England and India meant you were on port out, starboard home.

That's a common theory, which is regrettably not true - it has legs as it is contained in the lyrics to a song in 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang', and does sound pretty convincing. In fact, acronyms were virtually non-existent prior to the 1930s or thereabouts, so stories attributing older words to acronyms are generally folklore or outright fabrications. The truth about 'posh' is not known for certain, but the leading theory is that it is derived from the Romany language, by way of underworld slang. The Word Detective website has several entries talking about 'posh', and there is this discussion:
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/port out starboard home.html

cptjeff

Practically Family
Why would they put nicer cabins on one side then the other? I was always under the impression that they just arranged them by deck, or interior cabins and ones with a view.

Not that I've ever taken an overnight cruise...

carldelo

One Too Many
cptjeff said:
Why would they put nicer cabins on one side then the other? I was always under the impression that they just arranged them by deck, or interior cabins and ones with a view.

Not that I've ever taken an overnight cruise...

It's not the cabins themselves, the point is that the port-out and starboard-home cabins are situated away from the brutal tropical sun on the trip to India, and are therefore cooler. But these type of tickets apparently never existed, so it's academic.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
On the same day as before, my supervisor complimented me on always having a different suit or outfit every day.

She also noticed that I had very different shirts, and I explained that all my shirts have detachable collars, so a few shirts can have very different looks. One of the others gents said that "to be fair, we shouldn't be suprised" lol

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
the compliments

With my expensive Borsalino Panama fedora, in Washington D.C.:

--on the subway, about fifteen feet away, a guy and his girlfriend were sitting on a bench row facing me. The guy kept looking at my hat, shaking his head. This went on for a few minutes of the ride. After five or ten minutes I heard the girlfriend saying, "yeah, that hat does look nice."

--in front of the Verizon Center in Washington, going for a hockey game or something, same hat, a street guy says "you wanna sell that hat?"

Hat provoked envy.

Wildblue

One of the Regulars
I just bought a new Fedora in NYC, and wore it around the city for the day. I got some 2nd glances, although I think New Yorkers are used to seeing ANYTHING, even if fine hats are still a rarity.

Got a fine compliment from the sales agent when I went into Brooks Brothers, and he asked where I bought the hat.

We'll see if my new hats are as wel received when I get back to Alaska. :)

LordBest

Practically Family
An American student here said I was the first 'preppy' looking student she had seen since she arrived here. She seemed pleased so I am assuming it is a compliment. I know vaguely that preppy is an American college look but beyond that I know nothing of it.

I was wearing cream coloured cuffed trousers and a matching knit cotton jumper/sweater with a tweed cap and patent leather oxfords.

LordBest said:
An American student here said I was the first 'preppy' looking student she had seen since she arrived here. She seemed pleased so I am assuming it is a compliment. I know vaguely that preppy is an American college look but beyond that I know nothing of it. I was wearing cream coloured cuffed trousers and a matching knit cotton jumper/sweater with a tweed cap and patent leather oxfords.

In the past the concept in the US was prep look was that seen at prep schools, prepority schools like a high school that focused on preparing students for college / university, usually the the better or best ones. So, teens were pushed to be young adults, well dressed and well spoken. Dockers type chino panta button down collar shirt, casual shoes, sweater loosely tied around ones neck, sports jaket maybe instead of the sweater. Tie sometimes. A some what casual but still dressier than ordinary street clothes collegiate look similar to what gets called business casual here for post college aged adults.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
LordBest said:
Ah, thank you, that makes sense. I'm quite happy being called preppy, then.

If your collar was not popped at the time, then it was a good thing.
picture-2.png

If it was popped, you were being compared to this.
prep-school-bros.jpg

I assume the former, because you are a rather well dressed fellow.

LordBest

Practically Family
Collar was most definitely not popped. I've attached a picture below, I apologise for the horrendous quality. The trousers really aren't as baggy as they look.
preppychap.jpg

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Absolutely fantastic, and I am glad someone was using preppy to mean classic. Bad photo aside, that is a very good, very old school ivy-league look.

LordBest

Practically Family
Thanks, I'm rather pleased with how this outfit has been received, given that I just wore things I like without much thought to overall style.

Yeps said:
Absolutely fantastic, and I am glad someone was using preppy to mean classic. Bad photo aside, that is a very good, very old school ivy-league look.

Hepville

One of the Regulars
A while ago I´ve heard a female voice behind me saying something like: " Now that´s a manly dressing guy!" I was in a Shoppin Mall and haven´t seen the person and went casual in my A-2, a Sweatshirt, a pair of Khakis and my Red Wings and had a precise part in my Pomp... this comment made my day ;)

A funny thing I´ve noticed personally: People react more friendly to me when I do my hear instead of wearing a Cap...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn