Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

docneg

One of the Regulars
Hey, I got a "nice hat" comment, too. He called out just as I was exiting my car today. The (unhatted) guy looked like he might have been a lawyer. I thanked him and then hurried into the closest building...just in case he was trying to serve me with a summons. One never knows...

Pompidou

One Too Many
I went to Men's Warehouse today, as I'm working around the clock to look amazing for my date on saturday. The salesman loved my hat. It was miles above any of the hats they sold - those tweedy looking, I'm not even sure if they're fedoras, but they call them such - I'd never wear one - sort of hats. Then I had a meeting with what I thought was a marketing consultant for my soon to be cafe, but who turned out to be an Amway salesman. He also had nothing but compliments for the hat. "Love the hat" was the phrase of the day. A few girls in the mall stopped and said hi about the hat as well. Then I went to the bar and a few people loved the hat. One girl there always says she loves my hats, no matter how many times I wear it. I'll have to get her a hat sometime. I tell her, "You should get a hat too." She says, "I have a small head." I say, "Then get a small hat. I have a big head - gets bigger every time you compliment it, in fact. If I can find a right size, so can you." One day, she'll have a hat, if it kills somebody.

rippy444

Familiar Face
Widebrim said:
I often "dress up" for Sunday School and service, and usually get compliments from other members, but I've only brought a hat a couple of times. Do you wear yours indoors, too, before service starts?

It is not proper for a man to wear his hat in the worship area. I take the hat off at the door. We do have a fellowship area separate from worship. I do wear it there. Thanks. I love hats. I'm up to 23 so far.

rippy444

Familiar Face
Pompidou said:
I went to Men's Warehouse today, as I'm working around the clock to look amazing for my date on saturday. The salesman loved my hat. It was miles above any of the hats they sold - those tweedy looking, I'm not even sure if they're fedoras, but they call them such - I'd never wear one - sort of hats. Then I had a meeting with what I thought was a marketing consultant for my soon to be cafe, but who turned out to be an Amway salesman. He also had nothing but compliments for the hat. "Love the hat" was the phrase of the day. A few girls in the mall stopped and said hi about the hat as well. Then I went to the bar and a few people loved the hat. One girl there always says she loves my hats, no matter how many times I wear it. I'll have to get her a hat sometime. I tell her, "You should get a hat too." She says, "I have a small head." I say, "Then get a small hat. I have a big head - gets bigger every time you compliment it, in fact. If I can find a right size, so can you." One day, she'll have a hat, if it kills somebody.
I have a tweedy Stetson Fedora that is real class. You can tell the difference. You are right. There are some real junk hats at the fast clothes stores.

Tim in Ohio

Familiar Face
Had a nice compliment at the supermarket

I wore my Dobbs daily and a tweed jacket to the supermarket. As I was checking out, a lady who worked there approached me and said, "My don't you look sharp." I thanked her. she went on to say, "That hat... you don't seem them too much anymore and when you do, it just looks so... so... CHIC!"
Aww shucks ma'am... you're making me blush. ;)

021-1.jpg

RM Bantista

New in Town
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I hear dapper almost every day and most days more than once, but a day without a compliment on dress is very rare though at my workplace where I do still get compliments, they are used to my habits of good dress and comportment, such that it is not unusual to wear very nice clothes.

I have received dapper, very dapper, and additional compliments today, which is a saturday. The sales manager of the suit section of a very nice department store complemented me, more than twice, today. And a thrift store employee also did; very nice lady.

I enjoy to receive these compliments, and I am appreciative that I often recieve them; it is a reward for all the effort that has gone into making up any particular outfit and the range of possible outfits available to me. Sometimes an outfit may take months to assemble. Seriously. But when success is achieved; it is: just so. That is a good feeling. Compliments are not required and are accepted with pleasure. But what the thing really is, is the vision of assembling the elements and bringing it into the moment.

Which I guess I do each and every day. At least, that's what they tell me.

regards to all who post and put themseleves out there in the public space.

rudy

Musashi

One of the Regulars
What I find fascinating is that dressing well is so much of a LOST 'art'.. I get 'I love your hat' compliments all the time and I've only been wearing them for a few months.

I'm trying to upgrade my entire wardrobe, taking a lot of tips from these boards, and one great thing is that though the wealth of knowledge here can make me feel overwhelmed like I am doing everything wrong, simply even TRYING is more than 99% of people these days, and it gets noticed.

Off the rack suit, nice shoes, and a hat, and all of a sudden people are throwing compliments. Its kind of great! Makes me realize i have time to learn and grow my knowledge with less fear of looking foolish. The kind of details the knowledgeable folks here would recognize and i am still far from being able to get just right are arcane knowledge to most people.

Now if only i could conquer the fear of the wider brim.. That i think is gonna take a REALLY nice hat. modern hats with wide brims seem to have TOO SHORT crowns for their brim.. that balance is oh-so-important.

RM Bantista

New in Town
rippy444 said:
It is not proper for a man to wear his hat in the worship area. I take the hat off at the door. We do have a fellowship area separate from worship. I do wear it there. Thanks. I love hats. I'm up to 23 so far.

My thought is that some gentlemen keep their heads covered at all times under God. I bare my head during the Pledge and casually at home but seldom otherwise. I have also kept my hat in my lap for Christian funerals, but I think there must be a scriptural reason why some people of the Book keep their heads covered at all times.

My point is, course, that one may may reasonably insist that hats are appropriate for both men and women in church services. Of course, they are mandatory for ladies in Christian services. St. Paul has spoken clearly on that point. The keeping quiet by women dictum is noted but, one would think, is less appropriate in these times than when written. St. Paul has his issues, just like the rest of us, blessed be his name.

Let us not be too quick to decide that some fellow citizen is violating propriety. Rules vary and are not constant. Some matters are less serious than others. Fellowship always matters. Goodwill toward others generally is a sound policy. Be well and prosper.

rudy

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I was walking home from the train station to my house today wearing a fedora, double breasted suit and sunglasses. A man in a passing car shouted "you look very smart" and gave me a thumbs up. It caught me by surprise as most people who lean from cars usually shout abuse at me. I managed to shout thank you and return the thumbs up before he got too far away.

Whenever I get friendly comments I always find it can suddenly brighten my day. If only people realised how effective their words can be and only said nice things. :rolleyes:

Doc Smith

Familiar Face
I had a passerby compliment my fedora today--he asked if it was a Borsalino, praised my lousy hand-bash, and asked where I had it cleaned. I confessed that it's an old Mallory (apparently from before the merger with Stetson) and that I haven't gotten around to having it cleaned. He recommended Henry the Hatter in Detroit, and continued on.

Ann Arbor's an odd little town. I like it.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Tonight, when I was walking back from a cast party (just finished a production of Die Fledermaus) A total stranger said "Ten points for the vest/hat combo." I am always amused when people I have no reason to interact with complement me. It is rather nice.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
My great uncle visiting from Kansas, had commented today at lunch after church that he really liked my fedora that I wore, the Akubra Federation IV. He's actually in his 70s, I believe, so he may have owned a fedora once, but in some of the pictures I've seen of him, he was wearing a cowboy hat. I thought this was a really nice compliment, considering the fact that a couple of days ago, my brothers were giving me some flack over my "dressy" attire and fedora-wearing habits (I consider it more of a lifestyle choice than a habit).

carldelo

One Too Many
Doc Smith said:
I had a passerby compliment my fedora today--he asked if it was a Borsalino, praised my lousy hand-bash, and asked where I had it cleaned. I confessed that it's an old Mallory (apparently from before the merger with Stetson) and that I haven't gotten around to having it cleaned. He recommended Henry the Hatter in Detroit, and continued on.

Ann Arbor's an odd little town. I like it.

Ah good, another engineer who wears hats - welcome to the lounge!

Mario

I'll Lock Up
The weirdest thing

I was just strolling down the road, dressed in a black 1940`s double breasted pinstripe suit, waistcoat, black 30's wool tie and all when I came across an elderly gentleman. The moment he caught sight of me he broke into a beam of a smile, braced himself - and saluted before me! :eek:
Next thing he addressed me - to my utter amazement in almost perfect english with just the slightest hint of a German accent - and said "Now that's a most beautiful hand and suit, Sir! That's what I call style. My congratulations, Sir!". I just had to smile back, tipped my hat, thanked him and then we both walked on. There were a few people standing by who witnessed the scene and they just stood there and gawked. I really had to fight not to break into a laugh. This made my day, really! :)

rippy444

Familiar Face
rippy444 said:
I was away for two weeks and seven hats I had bought on line came in.
a 10X stetson-2 Straw Dodds that turned heads and a great black fedora. I was in Happy Jack's Cigar Store and the owner took the fedora off of my head and said that he wanted it. He said it was the best looking hat ever worn into his store. Having fun buying and wearing. On the mend from an accident nine months ago. Thanks The Fedora League is a great site to learn about life and fashion.

"To error is human, to forgive is divine"

rippy444

Familiar Face
I am getting scared. A deacon in my church approached me last Sunday and said,"Ralph, you are making the rest of us men look bad with your new suits and hats". I said,"maybe you all need a fashion lesson to catch up with the ladies"
I don't think he liked my statement. I will go dressed this Sunday in my newly aquired Italian suit from E Bay Express. Paid a whole $ 14.00 for a killer of a suit. What hat-tie and shirt to wear with a towned down royal blue suit? Any help appreciated. PS. I fixed a friends faucet today and was rewarded with two $10.00 cigars. He owns Happy Jack's Tabacco Shop in Laconia, NH. Chow

rippy444

Familiar Face
RM Bantista said:
My thought is that some gentlemen keep their heads covered at all times under God. I bare my head during the Pledge and casually at home but seldom otherwise. I have also kept my hat in my lap for Christian funerals, but I think there must be a scriptural reason why some people of the Book keep their heads covered at all times.

My point is, course, that one may may reasonably insist that hats are appropriate for both men and women in church services. Of course, they are mandatory for ladies in Christian services. St. Paul has spoken clearly on that point. The keeping quiet by women dictum is noted but, one would think, is less appropriate in these times than when written. St. Paul has his issues, just like the rest of us, blessed be his name.

Let us not be too quick to decide that some fellow citizen is violating propriety. Rules vary and are not constant. Some matters are less serious than others. Fellowship always matters. Goodwill toward others generally is a sound policy. Be well and prosper.

rudy
You are correct Rudy. I would never consider faulting another for their practices, whatever they are. I was narrowing down to my practice in my church and pulled all into it with my personal choices. Thanks for the kind reminder, Ralph

RM Bantista said:

rudy

There is an interesting divide in Christianity as to the Scriptures whether they are the Inspired and Inerrant Word of God or not so the interpretation of the various "lessons" will be as varied. Also the instituted changes towards the old, tradtional laws and value system that comes from the Old Testament can get a variety of interpretations. It's can be more than a bit perplexing. I think as a American I am glad to see people go to church regularly and get to worship as their denomination sees fit.

I recall that one lady at my church was complaning bitterly that one of our elders (William) was wearing tennis shoes with his suit. She finally confronted the gent and asked him if he was so low classed that he thought this was right to do. He said, I have a painful foot condition and these are the only foot wear I can keep on my feet to get around in and reduce the pain. I was making my best effort to come to church as regular as I could. Do you think I should stay home instead?

It shut her up but she still would complain to everyone else that would listen. Finally everyone told her to keep it to herself and that they'd rather have Bill in tennis shoes there than her complaining.

rippy444 said:
I am getting scared. A deacon in my church approached me last Sunday and said,"Ralph, you are making the rest of us men look bad with your new suits and hats". I said,"maybe you all need a fashion lesson to catch up with the ladies" I don't think he liked my statement. I will go dressed this Sunday in my newly aquired Italian suit from E Bay Express. Paid a whole $ 14.00 for a killer of a suit. What hat-tie and shirt to wear with a towned down royal blue suit? Any help appreciated. PS. I fixed a friends faucet today and was rewarded with two $10.00 cigars. He owns Happy Jack's Tabacco Shop in Laconia, NH. Chow

You should have said I will gladly instruct you on how to dress well in a while being frugal as i have learned my young padowan.

There is a balance between dressing as if to say "dig me" in an ostentatious manner and being well dressed as well as revrent. I'd say wearing a tux regularly to church might crowd that line a bit.[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn