Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

Justdog

Practically Family
Stetson Sovereign

Familiar Store clerk. "Ohhhhmm that hat" She said in a complimentary tone.
Dove grey Sovereign 20

yardpup01

New in Town
I've got two:

About two months ago while walking into a Taco Bell, wearing my moonstone Fed IV and a black pea coat, the guy behind the register asked, "What can I do for you Dr. Jones?" I think it was the "Dr. Jones" that got me, if it had been "Indy" I don't think I would have been as pleased.

Today, while entering a dining center on campus, also wearing the Fed IV, I overheard two girls walking past me, "Hey, check out that guy's cool hat!"

Both made my respective days.

Pompidou

One Too Many
I wear my hat at work. One day, I was off doing something. My boss said to a third guy, "You know what the one good thing about Matt is (Matt's me)? That hat." The third guy said, "Yeah, not just anybody can pull off a hat like that, but it really works." That was great on two levels. At face value, certainly, and secondly because the second comment came from an otherwise rather cold and distant type who never talks. I get tons of compliments (and well intentioned heckling) about my hat at work. I'm the only one who would dare wear one, but I have to say, I think I've inspired at least 2-3 people to give it a try. Whenever I get a compliment, I say, "You should get a hat. You'd look good in it." and they say, "You think I could pull it off?" and I say, "Yeah, if I can do it, anyone can." My boss is going to get one now, once he can find a hatter he can sample hands on - doesn't like the online trial and error route. A couple of other friends aren't far behind. Style is contagious.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I have now been called 'dapper' more times than I can remember, most recently last night, and accompanied by a compliment of some generic nature aimed at my hat.

jwalls

Vendor
It has been raining in Las Vegas this week, so I was out in my trench coat and an old brown beater of a fedora. A young man and his girl friend walked up to me in the down pour and said "Sir, I wish I could carry that off as well as you do.". I told him all it takes is attitude. As they walked off I heard the lady say " See I told you you could look that good." :eek: :eek:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
So this morning I decided to bring along the Akubra Federation to school (I thought it might rain again, but I guess it didn't). Anyway, after my first class, on my way to the second, I was approached by two girls (about my age, early twenties, it seems), and one of them said "Awesome hat!" That sure made my day. :D

Well, there are a number of guys wearing fedoras or trilbys on campus occasionally (most of them were the straw, cloth, or synthetic ones, of all those I've seen), and even one of my professors wears a nice brown felt one sometimes (I've never actually asked about it, and he didn't wear it today, so I don't know the brand or style, but it definitely was brown. I think I can remember him having a grey one too). However, the most common hat would have to be the flat-billed baseball cap. That new kind, I think it's a pretty new trend, but then again, I don't know anything about that.

Anyway, that comment sure beat my "Pee Wee Herman" comment from the other day (hatless, I might add, wearing a tweed green sport coat). lol

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Wore my new Imperial Stetson to work.

While inside without the hat on a husband and wife walked by. The husband (early 30s?) had seen me wearing it outside and asked: "where'd you get that hat?". I told him at an antique shop and he said "no sh*t? That's an awesome hat."

I laughed. :D

Annixter

Practically Family
I had two memorable comments this past week. The first was when I was wearing a button down shirt, slacks, and a gray B! Wear newsboy cap. I was enjoying some coffee on an outside bench when a woman walked by, slowed, gave me a triple-take, and walked back to me: "Excuse me, I'm Katherine. I wanted to tell you that your hat is amazing, and you certainly do have unique and impressive style." That wasn't a bad way to start the day at all.

The second compliment came yesterday. I was wearing a sportcoat, dress shirt, vintage tie, slacks, and my Stetson Special. I walked into a room for a group meeting, taking off my hat, and my professor/adviser stopped what she was doing and said, "Oh no, no, no. Put it back on; I need to see the full effect." I put the hat back on, and she complimented me on how "dapper" I looked.

univibe88

One Too Many
Annixter said:
"Excuse me, I'm Katherine. I wanted to tell you that your hat is amazing, and you certainly do have unique and impressive style." That wasn't a bad way to start the day at all.

So where did you take Katherine for dinner last night? ;)

Annixter

Practically Family
univibe88 said:
So where did you take Katherine for dinner last night? ;)

With her reaction to a newsboy cap, I figured I'd wait until I had on the suit and fedora before asking her on a dinner date.:D

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Flat brimmed baseball caps

This is a little OT, but was just mentioned. The fad for wearing baseball caps with the brims absolutely flat started about 5 or 6 years ago, when the Harlem Little League team went to the Little league World Series in Williamsport. They all got brand new uniforms, and when they got the snazzy new hats fresh out of the box, they all put them on their heads with the brims dead flat. This became an instant craze that has taken on a life of its own.
As Ernie Kovacs would say, truth is stranger than fact.

rippy444

Familiar Face
I have had nothing but complements from my friends and associates about my new do with the assortment of hats I have been wearing. My church has given me many compliments. I have quite a selection a pork pie to Stetson and all in between. A good feeling to dress up.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
rippy444 said:
I have had nothing but complements from my friends and associates about my new do with the assortment of hats I have been wearing. My church has given me many compliments. I have quite a selection a pork pie to Stetson and all in between. A good feeling to dress up.

I often "dress up" for Sunday School and service, and usually get compliments from other members, but I've only brought a hat a couple of times. Do you wear yours indoors, too, before service starts?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Heh, I was greeting a family friend who came to a party, and she said "Nice hat!" She also said I looked like an Englishman with the way I was dressed, which is really just blue Levi jeans, brown leather shoes, black leather belt, pale blue polo shirt, and a straw Panama-style fedora. I also take that as a compliment, due to my affinity for British culture, and the fact that I actually am a bit English myself.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Widebrim said:
I often "dress up" for Sunday School and service, and usually get compliments from other members, but I've only brought a hat a couple of times. Do you wear yours indoors, too, before service starts?

When we're visiting our son on the weekends, as we're doing now, we often go with his family to church. I wear my hat to the church, of course, but leave it out in the entryway with my coat on the hat/coat rack. Our son sometimes wears one of the hats I've given him, and his wife's grandfather wears hats that I've given him. It's often been commented that to be part of the Yeager family means wearing hats! :D

Regards,
Tom

fenris

One of the Regulars
A man on an elevator commented, "Nice hat!" while I was holding it.

A friend had also mentioned that the hat suits my personality. Dunno what that really meant... Perhaps because I'm an artist.

The best one (for me being an Indy fan) I remember was when I was approached by a guy my age (30's) who was so excited seeing my hat... "That's an Indiana Jones hat, right? Where did you get one?" He was all excited before I gave my answer. When I told him I purchased it online and how much it cost, he looked so disappointed. Not all folks here like purchasing online, they'd rather handle the merchandise first before buying. Also, a lot of people here don't understand why hats cost so much because over here most hats don't cost over $20.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn