Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

dnjan

One Too Many
Doran said:
A Baby Boomer with white beard
Though a late boomer myself, I never really considered using the above description.

Though I suppose it is better than Geezer with a white beard ...

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Seattlites must really be feeling the holiday spirit - I got a comment on my Chatham the other day, another on my Fed IV Deluxe while at the soccer game, and TWO yesterday while wearing my Knox Twenty Rizzuto.

And my girlfriend told me yesterday that my hats are starting to grow on her.

Wolfen

One of the Regulars
My first post here, figured it would be nice to make it a compliment.

Today at work I was told that I was the best dressed guy in the company. I was wearing a black 3 piece suit, white shirt, pink,blue and white striped tie and a Bailey wool crushable fedora. People asked why I was dressed up and I told them just because I can.

Great forum btw, I love vintage stuff from the Golden age. Stumbled across this place when looking for info on pencil line mustaches.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
ScottF said:
And my girlfriend told me yesterday that my hats are starting to grow on her.

lol, good for her.

Personally if I see a guy with a hat he automatically gets 5 points. lol

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Doran said:
Yesterday, some seven and a half hours after an execrable comment on campus (see "The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard" thread), I was at Berkeley Bowl, the greatest grocery store in the known world, with my daughter sitting in the shopping cart. I was bagging my own groceries, as is my wont. At that moment I was wearing a brown modern DB with faint turquoise pinstripes, oxblood and black saddle shoes, a wheat-colored vest, a 1920s tie, and my cognac modern fedora, which contrary to what i wrote above, is a Borsalino, not a Stetson. Plus a big DB cashmere belt-back overcoat that I bought for 10 dollars in perfect condition.

I feel a tap on my shoulder. A Baby Boomer with white beard is standing there and says "I just want you to know that I appreciate the way you dress, with the hat and everything. It's really nice."

That almost made up for the campus comment.

:eusa_clap A little dose of sugar goes a long way...

CliffG

One of the Regulars
My wife tells me that some gall will be trying to steal her husband away.
I take this as the best compliment anyone could ever give.

Wolfen

One of the Regulars
Walking into Walmart 20 mins ago the Salvation Army bell ringer told me he liked my hat. On the way out he stopped me and told me again and asked where I got it. He then let me ring the bell and gave me a little mint candy. :)

High Pockets

Practically Family
Wolfen said:
Walking into Walmart 20 mins ago the Salvation Army bell ringer told me he liked my hat. On the way out he stopped me and told me again and asked where I got it. He then let me ring the bell and gave me a little mint candy. :)

:D :D ROTFLMAF!!:D :D

Now that's classic!!

Lokar

A-List Customer
Today, I was at college. I had just had an exam - I'd worn my comfiest tweed suit, with a plain white shirt, wool knit tie a cap. As I was waiting for my lesson following the exam, one of the cleaners came up to me, and said: (Translated from his broken Swedish):

"I wanted to say I've noticed how well dressed you always are, you always look great and elegant, all men should dress like you do."

Even better, however, was hearing my wife finally say "You're right, thin lapels aren't good looking."

memphislawyer

Practically Family
bd3 said:
Back in the early spring I was working near where my 85 year old grandmother lives. I called her and asked her if I could take her to dinner and surprisingly she said she'd go. Usually she says she's already fixed dinner "but there is plenty" and I go eat with her.

Well, it was cool weather and I was wearing a pair of tan slacks, tan corduroy sport coat, brown dress shoes, white shirt and brown tie. I went inside to pick her up and help her to the car and it was just beginning to mist a bit.

When we got to the restaurant I let her out at the door. Parking lot was crowded so I had to park pretty far out. When I got out of the car I donned my dark brown Mallory Raider by Stetson and went inside the lobby of the restaurant. She was waiting for me there and looked at me for a moment. She had never seen me wear any kind of a hat and then she said, "In that hat you look just like my daddy. He always wore a hat just like that."

I don't think that one can get a better compliment from their grandma.

Yeah, I liked the Salvation Army story, but this one takes the cake. I would so much love my grandmother to be alive (I am about to turn 50) and let her see me dressed up in a hat, though she saw me in suits plenty of times. She was my favorite and I think I was hers, next to PawPaw

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
On Friday I was wearing a 1940s 3-piece with a bold double pinstripe, a '30s tie, a long point collar, and had my moustache waxed in a handlebar. I was studying when one of the staff who I see frequently came up and asked if I subscribed to The Chap. I told him I didn't but knew of it. He responded "I applaud your chappish tendencies".

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was at "Olive Garden" tonight. I had a nice gray sweater with my black vintage wool 3/4 length coat, and my Gray Schobel on.

Halfway through our dinner, the waiter came up to me and said, "Can I ask you where you got your hat from?"

I told him online, and that it's vintage, pretty old, that's mostly what i wear. He said it was a very good looking hat, and that it looked very good on me. I told him thank you very much. [huh]

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Recently my voice teacher told me that I look and dress like Clark Gable. You can't ask for better than that.

dnjan

One Too Many
bolthead said:
I was at "Olive Garden" tonight. I had a nice gray sweater with my black vintage wool 3/4 length coat, and my Gray Schobel on.

Halfway through our dinner, the waiter came up to me and said, "Can I ask you where you got your hat from?"
Something must have been lost in translation.

You were seated at Olive Garden and had your hat on ?????

chum

Familiar Face
(my Avatar is terrible until I get a better camera):(

I have been a copier repairman for 31 years and I recently started to wear my black "indy" style fedora to work. My company will not allow me to wear a nice jacket...I have to wear their company jacket. I usually just get stares and sometimes snickers so, when I get a compliment, it's great! So far, two customers, out of about sixty, have done this.
The first day I wore it a receptionist(mid twenties)at one of our biggest accounts, was grinning at me when I walked in, and I thought, "Hat=bad idea"! I walked up to sign in and she said, "Steve, I just love your hat, it looks so good on you"! I was "floored" and my next thought was, "Hat=not a bad idea"!:D Keep in mind, this was not flirtatious('nor taken as such) in any way.
This young lady is naturally nice and helpfull to everyone who comes in!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou