Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

This is not a hat comment, it's a shoes comment. I had quite an evening last night. I had gotten reservations at the Cafe Carlyle, here in New York, for a show put together by an acquaintance, Will Friedwald, the jazz columnist at the Wall Street Journal. It's titled Tales From the Jazz Age: An F. Scott Fitzgerald Songbook. It was WONDERFUL.
But it was a 10:45 show, so I had a LOT of time to kill after I got off work at 5. So I posted in Facebook: Anybody have any suggestions how to kill a few hours on the east side of Manhattan this evening? Immediately I got a response from a friend saying check out "A Conversation With Edith Head" at the National Arts Club. You may remember the NAC as the swanky old club where Woody Allen, Diane Keaton, Angelica Huston and Alan Alda conspired in Manhattan Murder Mystery.
I sent an email to them right away, and they replied saying that I was on the Standby List. Good enough.
I moseyed my way downtown, had a slice of pizza, got there about 7:45, and found quite a crowd. As I milled my way into the building, and stood at the sign in table, a very dapper gent standing there took a look at me, in my totally Cafe Carlyle-worthy outfit of Panama hat, blue blazer and white slacks, Palm Beach next tie, and, last but not least, nifty spectator shoes. He was wearing the type of spectators that have white on top and the brown that wraps around the toe (what are they called?). Anyway, he takes one look at my spectators and say, "Anyone wearing shoes like that deserves to be put into the seated list." So I was crossed off Standby, and put on the walk right in list. Turns out he's the Chairman of the Fashion Committee at the NAC, and co-host of the event. Soooo . . . to make along story short, my magic spectators strike again. (You may recall that at last year's Jazz Age Lawn Party, none other than Bill Cunningham took my picture and gave me the make a circle with thumb and forefinger gesture of approval. Didn't make it to the actual paper, tho. Whatever.)
Anyhow, those darn shoes get me more compliments than ANY garment I've ever owned. And I have them thanks to a heads up a couple years ago here at the Lounge. :)

Yes... Pictures are in order! Great story, and thank you.

I have a pair of Allen Edmunds Spectators (not the classic Broadstreet, I forget the later model name, in browninsh/burgundy and bone colors) which ALWAYS garner compliments. It has been my contention that on more than one occasion they were the reason we were "fit" into otherwise full venues, always seated in full view of passers-by. Good show, Mr. Hermann!!

julie-tom

New in Town
I was at the WSOP in Las Vegas this last week, decked out in a Vintage coco brown Boursalino, with a 40s hand-painted silk tie, and a vintage mustard-orange Gabardine "long Ricky" jacket, etc... a cute tourist couple walked up and asked me "We were wondering what show you were in?"

"The Dog and Pony Show" I politely replied, and sauntered off trying not to show my just-slightly hurt feelings.

I was at the WSOP in Las Vegas this last week, decked out in a Vintage coco brown Boursalino, with a 40s hand-painted silk tie, and a vintage mustard-orange Gabardine "long Ricky" jacket, etc... a cute tourist couple walked up and asked me "We were wondering what show you were in?"

"The Dog and Pony Show" I politely replied, and sauntered off trying not to show my just-slightly hurt feelings.
lol lol Good one. I can just imagine them trying to find the show. :p

I have a hat hook in my office, and always hang my hat on it when I'm in. My boss is in California, but his boss works a few doors down from me here in Houston. We're in a meeting the other day...fairly high circle...in the meeting, he says "whenver I walk by Matt's office, I can see if his hat is there or not, and I know whether or not he's in the office. So in addition to looking great, it's like a personal 'open/close' sign."

I have a hat hook in my office, and always hang my hat on it when I'm in. My boss is in California, but his boss works a few doors down from me here in Houston. We're in a meeting the other day...fairly high circle...in the meeting, he says "whenver I walk by Matt's office, I can see if his hat is there or not, and I know whether or not he's in the office. So in addition to looking great, it's like a personal 'open/close' sign."
Or a way they can keep tabs on you without you knowing. :p

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
This was not a hat comment, but a shoe comment. I was sitting on a bench at the 23rd St station of the subway this evening when this very tall VERY elegant lady plops down next to me and goes "Oof". It was 94 outside and close to 100 on the platform. She sees my brown and white spectators and compliments them, asks if they are vintage, etc. (They're not. They 4 years old Paul Frederick). Anyhow, I tell her the she looks a LOT like Karen Akers, and she says, " I AM Karen Akers." There ensued a VERY pleasant chat that lasted three stops till I had to get of and switch to the express. WHAT a thrill! I saw her sing in Chautauqua several years ago, and she is a BRILLIANT performer. Me very thrilled little boy this evening.

This was not a hat comment, but a shoe comment. I was sitting on a bench at the 23rd St station of the subway this evening when this very tall VERY elegant lady plops down next to me and goes "Oof". It was 94 outside and close to 100 on the platform. She sees my brown and white spectators and compliments them, asks if they are vintage, etc. (They're not. They 4 years old Paul Frederick). Anyhow, I tell her the she looks a LOT like Karen Akers, and she says, " I AM Karen Akers." There ensued a VERY pleasant chat that lasted three stops till I had to get of and switch to the express. WHAT a thrill! I saw her sing in Chautauqua several years ago, and she is a BRILLIANT performer. Me very thrilled little boy this evening.
I had to Google her but now I know who you mean. :p We still need pictures of those shoes. :p

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters