Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
One of the nicest compliments I've ever received about my attire was a few years ago when I went to court as a witness in a case against a salesman who'd embezzled advertising funds from the radio station he worked for (I was one of the advertisers whose cash payments he'd never turned in). I dressed in what I thought would be appropriate for court: A dark gray pinstripe, two-piece, two-button with peaked lapel, white shirt and vintage 1940s tie, black oxfords. Turns out me and the radio station owner (for whom I was appearing) were the only two suits in the courtroom. When the Judge came out and took the bench, he assumed I was someone's attorney.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
The other day I was wearing my 1940s Brown Summer Suit, J&M Hoolbrook Brown Linen Shoes, 1920s/30s Brown Heather American Fedora, and a blue tie (would post a photo, but my camera is completely dead).

While at work, nearly every customer would say something along the lines of, "Wow, nice shoes!" "I really enjoy your shoes!!"

On my way home, waiting to cross the street (I walk), a fellow, probally in his 20s, pulled into the turn lane, and yelld to me, "Sir, you look AWESOME!" and proceeded to give me a thumbs up. After crossing the street, I had to pass a car that had a bearded fella, and his girlfriend/wife + their daughter occupying it. When I reached the passenger side, the girlfriend/wife said, "Wow sir, you are Classy!" All the while her boyfriend/hubby kept saying, "Woa, those are killer shoes! Look at those Shoes! I like those Shoes!"

The other day I was wearing my 1940s Brown Summer Suit, J&M Hoolbrook Brown Linen Shoes, 1920s/30s Brown Heather American Fedora, and a blue tie (would post a photo, but my camera is completely dead).

While at work, nearly every customer would say something along the lines of, "Wow, nice shoes!" "I really enjoy your shoes!!"

On my way home, waiting to cross the street (I walk), a fellow, probally in his 20s, pulled into the turn lane, and yelld to me, "Sir, you look AWESOME!" and proceeded to give me a thumbs up. After crossing the street, I had to pass a car that had a bearded fella, and his girlfriend/wife + their daughter occupying it. When I reached the passenger side, the girlfriend/wife said, "Wow sir, you are Classy!" All the while her boyfriend/hubby kept saying, "Woa, those are killer shoes! Look at those Shoes! I like those Shoes!"
Did you get the daughter's number. :p

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Working the whole day in front of a PC, I usually take a stroll on the near by old ramparts around medieval Copenhagen after log-off. About a year back I crossed a bridge over the moat, when I noticed some kids jumping a trampoline on the shore.

One of them, the cutest little girl with blond ringlets (probably 4 or 5 years old), had eye-balled me all the way from the middle of the bridge. As I passed them, she asked me in the most inquisitorial tone of voice:
"Are you a gangster?"
"Erhhhm ... no, I ... I just ... why ...?!??!!!"
"Then, why do you wear a gangster-hat?"
Ohhh, of course ... the hat! A mid grey fedora.
"Well, actually it's not a gangster-hat. It's just a hat, gentlemen used to wear in the days of the gangsters, you see in the movies. Bla-bla-bla [long story about gent's hats]"

Her facial expression made it obvious, that the prosecutor wasn't ready to buy my story! :(

"You see, when I was your age, my dad always wore such a hat, and he wa ..."
"Aaaahhhh ... your DAAaaAad ...!!!", she said with a gigantic enlightened smile, that made me afraid her head would crack into two.
"So, your DAD was a gangster!"
"Well, no not really, you see ... aarrhhhm ... well, when I crossed the bridge I noticed, you were really good at jumping that thing there. Couldn't you show me your very best trick?"

And so she did, and forgot all about gangsters, the loveable old passed away cabinetmaker, and his fedora wearing son, without a trustworthy defence.
I was fast to leave after appropriate applauding - and while the distraction still worked. I so hate to disappoint a beautiful woman :D

I'm still not quite sure, if "gangster" was a compliment or the opposite that day. At least it was nice to experience the youngest relate to head-wear - and the facial animations, as her brain worked it's way through a weird corner of reality, couldn't be bought for gold :)

Working the whole day in front of a PC, I usually take a stroll on the near by old ramparts around medieval Copenhagen after log-off. About a year back I crossed a bridge over the moat, when I noticed some kids jumping a trampoline on the shore.

One of them, the cutest little girl with blond ringlets (probably 4 or 5 years old), had eye-balled me all the way from the middle of the bridge. As I passed them, she asked me in the most inquisitorial tone of voice:
"Are you a gangster?"
"Erhhhm ... no, I ... I just ... why ...?!??!!!"
"Then, why do you wear a gangster-hat?"
Ohhh, of course ... the hat! A mid grey fedora.
"Well, actually it's not a gangster-hat. It's just a hat, gentlemen used to wear in the days of the gangsters, you see in the movies. Bla-bla-bla [long story about gent's hats]"

Her facial expression made it obvious, that the prosecutor wasn't ready to buy my story! :(

"You see, when I was your age, my dad always wore such a hat, and he wa ..."
"Aaaahhhh ... your DAAaaAad ...!!!", she said with a gigantic enlightened smile, that made me afraid her head would crack into two.
"So, your DAD was a gangster!"
"Well, no not really, you see ... aarrhhhm ... well, when I crossed the bridge I noticed, you were really good at jumping that thing there. Couldn't you show me your very best trick?"

And so she did, and forgot all about gangsters, the loveable old passed away cabinetmaker, and his fedora wearing son, without a trustworthy defence.
I was fast to leave after appropriate applauding - and while the distraction still worked. I so hate to disappoint a beautiful woman :D

I'm still not quite sure, if "gangster" was a compliment or the opposite that day. At least it was nice to experience the youngest relate to head-wear - and the facial animations, as her brain worked it's way through a weird corner of reality, couldn't be bought for gold :)

That would have been an easy one for me. "Little girl, it may not be a good idea to notice who might or might not be a gangster. It could get dangerous and people could disappear. Mum is the word." Then walk away fast saying: "If anyone asks, you didn't see me here---Get it?"
She wants gangster---give her gangster. :p

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Back in July, 2009, following the death of my Father-in-Law seven weeks previous, I had taken my wife to Scotland for a short break. She loves the country, and seemed to enjoy the release from her bereavement.
At the end of the week, I took her to a fantastic show in Glasgow's Old Fruit Market. It was now a venue for all sorts of events.
Tonight's show was a mixture of Swingtime music & dancing. Vegas style show girls and gaming. And to kick off was a burlesque show.
The whole thing ran from about seven pm to the early hours. One punter there, was so obsessed by a couple of baby boomers, who could still dance, that he wrote about them in his blog. Strange how he never once mentioned that amazing show.
I don't know if you think he said something nice. Personally, I find it insulting, complimentary and funny, all rolled into one. Here's his blog with spelling and grammatical errors and all.

Old Folk Dancing Like They Were Young Again
High Tease & Vegas 4th of July special, a mix of big band and burlesque and the crowd is mixed. Dress is not strictly enforced, but a lot of people have made the effort. Once the show part of the evening has finished the back of 10, the DJs start playing music, while a couple of showgirls take turns dancing on stage with their feathers and sequins. The audience is very mixed, covering the age spectrum, but there is this one couple, this old couple, who look like they were probably dancing like this when it was first invented and are still dancing like that. There are young couples standing with their jaws dropping, at various stages of the night there are girls lining up with the old woman carefully trying to follow every step that she makes, while boyfriends cheer them on. She is in a vintage dress, looks like it was new in the 40’s, he is wearing a suit of similar kind of style, baggy, long at the back, his shows black, with the white spats. They swing and they turn, touching the floor, spinning round, twisting, the works. The audience applaud, though at the point he lifts her, practically to head height, and swings her full circle, before returning her to the ground, gets the biggest response. The crowd watch, expecting the worst, these are two people who are getting on, some of us will feel sore in the morning, so god knows how they will feel, but they do it, and they put us all to shame with their vigour.

Back in July, 2009, following the death of my Father-in-Law seven weeks previous, I had taken my wife to Scotland for a short break. She loves the country, and seemed to enjoy the release from her bereavement.
At the end of the week, I took her to a fantastic show in Glasgow's Old Fruit Market. It was now a venue for all sorts of events.
Tonight's show was a mixture of Swingtime music & dancing. Vegas style show girls and gaming. And to kick off was a burlesque show.
The whole thing ran from about seven pm to the early hours. One punter there, was so obsessed by a couple of baby boomers, who could still dance, that he wrote about them in his blog. Strange how he never once mentioned that amazing show.
I don't know if you think he said something nice. Personally, I find it insulting, complimentary and funny, all rolled into one. Here's his blog with spelling and grammatical errors and all.

Old Folk Dancing Like They Were Young Again
High Tease & Vegas 4th of July special, a mix of big band and burlesque and the crowd is mixed. Dress is not strictly enforced, but a lot of people have made the effort. Once the show part of the evening has finished the back of 10, the DJs start playing music, while a couple of showgirls take turns dancing on stage with their feathers and sequins. The audience is very mixed, covering the age spectrum, but there is this one couple, this old couple, who look like they were probably dancing like this when it was first invented and are still dancing like that. There are young couples standing with their jaws dropping, at various stages of the night there are girls lining up with the old woman carefully trying to follow every step that she makes, while boyfriends cheer them on. She is in a vintage dress, looks like it was new in the 40’s, he is wearing a suit of similar kind of style, baggy, long at the back, his shows black, with the white spats. They swing and they turn, touching the floor, spinning round, twisting, the works. The audience applaud, though at the point he lifts her, practically to head height, and swings her full circle, before returning her to the ground, gets the biggest response. The crowd watch, expecting the worst, these are two people who are getting on, some of us will feel sore in the morning, so god knows how they will feel, but they do it, and they put us all to shame with their vigour.
Geez, I hope he wasn't referring to you. I think I would have been insulted. :p

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I don't know if you think he said something nice. Personally, I find it insulting, complimentary and funny, all rolled into one.
It's very confusing! Further reading on the blog could maybe help in extracting the meaning(?) At least he should feel lucky, the lady in question didn't have her pump placed under his café-chair as he wrote:
"She is in a vintage dress, looks like it was new in the 40’s"! =8-O

:rofl: I think that would be spelled Gangsta. :p
You're probably right there ;)

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Geez, I hope he wasn't referring to you. I think I would have been insulted. :p
He certainly was, here's a link to the original blog.

It's very confusing! Further reading on the blog could maybe help in extracting the meaning(?) At least he should feel lucky, the lady in question didn't have her pump placed under his café-chair as he wrote:
"She is in a vintage dress, looks like it was new in the 40’s"! =8-O
Confusing indeed. He is trying to describe the 1930's dress that my wife had made from an original pattern. His description of me includes: "Long at the back." I think this is a reference to the zoot suit I was wearing. As for black shoes (shows) and white spats. What he actually saw was two tone, blue and white brogues. If he fancies himself as a wordsmith, with maybe an eye on the local newspaper for employment, I would suggest that for the time being, he didn't give up the day job.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
When the blogosphere started to become a phenomenon, I insisted on calling blogs for 'diaries' or 'diaries-with-a-plug' - which was quite annoying to my blogging friends :)

Lots of bloggers write about a specific issue, but some are actually just producing a mirror reflection of themselves. The one at hand doesn't really write about the event, but about his own prejudices and lack of general insight.

No wonder, he compares a dancing lady with Tigger in the following post. He probably can't refer to a single dancer from an era before it came into fashion to shake one's overweight 'hind-cheeks'. Saved by Milne and Disney! :eusa_doh:

One can only wonder, who ever allowed him to be out at 1am in the night ;)

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
"Old woman"! I would want to strangle him--unless you are both in your 80s I suppose. :p
So you were that fly on the wall when my wife first read that. OLD! She screeched, OLD! And then went into a very serious, unladylike, tirade of profanities.

One can only wonder, who ever allowed him to be out at 1am in the night ;)
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap You are so perceptive. My wife actually said that if he had refered to her as older,
she wouldn't have minded in the least.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic