Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

HeyMoe

Practically Family
I have had a few comments:

Last winter I was leaving a local gas station after having gotten petrol and a snack. I was wearing 1930s overcoat, black spit shined wingtips, pinstriped blue wool pants a light blue shirt and tie and my Chrome Champ fedora. Guy walking with a girl said "Nice duds man".

A few weeks ago right after we bought our 1939 Dodge car, I picked my wife up right after work and headed downtown to the local ice creme stand for a soft serve. I was wearing spit shined oxfords, khaki pants, button down shirt, tie and my 1941 Stetson Eagle. We were the only customers in the parking lot so I parked close to the exit area of the "line" where you get your soft serve. As I got out of the car I heard "hey look out front" from inside and a very clear "wow". When we paid for our soft serve the young lady remarked that she liked my hat and LOVED my car.

Willing to bet it was mostly the car, and a little bit of the hat. As we sat in the car eating I was playing big band music and everyone who pulled into the parking lot did a double take and either smiled, or gave us a thumbs up.

David's airport experience brought back memory of a comment on the New Jersey Turnpike about two or three years ago.

At one of the many tolls along the way I was told by the toll collector that the tolls were no longer taking cash, and that my hat would be the only form of payment acceptable to HIM. OF COURSE I remember that I was wearing my VS stingy in Natural color... no way he was going to collect! Too funny. GREAT compliment.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
BEYOND hilarious, Worf!

Thought of you this morning when I started the day with a straw. I felt confident wearing that straw beyond "Felt Hat Day" knowing you were on the team.

The Straw Hat Deadline came... and went without apparent incident (hey who besides US wear em any way)! But several hat stores talked about it online yesterday and I think I saw something on AOL (yeah I know they're still around) about the infamous "straw hat riots". Learning as I am about the folks in here I'm surprised some members haven't tried to (ahem) recreate said riot for posterities sake! You know get the local news involved etc. Kinda like the SCA you know. Once a year for old time's sake when hats were NOT an option!

Worf

Worf

Canadian

One of the Regulars
Cute Story

Okay,

I was traveling across the country and was seated in First Class at the very front of the plane. I was wearing a "fisherman's cap" which was basically a forage cap with crossed anchors instead of a cap brass. The cap did not have egg on the brim and I thought it looked smart.

A young girl (maybe 5 yeas old) boarding the plane sad, "Excuse me Sir. Are you the pilot.". I had a good laugh, but had to explain that I wasn't actually a pilot.

The barista at the airport coffee shop kept insisting that I must fly for Air Canada.

I like this thread a lot...

While exploring a venue for my NEXT colossal extravaganza, (daughter #2's wedding... AAarrrrg!!) the fiancé inquired about a coat check room attendant. While the subject had been broached, I couldn't help myself, and had to ask about a HAT-check girl. The twenty-something (yrs. of age) gal giving the tour answered that they had never had any group "classy enough" to need a hat check girl.

The venue is not at the bottom of the social barrel. On the contrary, maybe it may even be considered "high falutin." We are elevating them to the next level... HIGHER falutin!

HeyMoe

Practically Family
Heard two comments today:
#1 in JC Penny looking for some dress gloves for winter. An employee said "I love your fedora!" I was surprised that she knew it was a fedora (Hat was a medium grey Adam Executive homburg converted to a fedora style)

#2 I stopped at a pharmacy to pick up a script (getting older sucks) and the younger woman (late 20s early 30s) said "I love the hat and I love the fact that men are starting to wear hats again"

All in all, not a bad comment day!!

EliasRDA

One of the Regulars
I stopped in one of the local "religious" thrift shops on Friday to check on pocket squares/handkerchiefs & hats, one of the elder lady staffers remarked to the others that "its dress up day, I wonder why?". I just smiled at her, I was going to say it was in memory of JFK as I know the majority of the staff is old enough to understand it but decided to not too.

I had on a pair of black khakis, lavender striped shirt, black dressy vest & my new grey Stetson. I'm trying to work on the brim to get a nice snapdown but it seems my teamkettle steam stream isnt strong enough. :eeek: :p

I have some meetings coming up in the next couple weeks, some with locals I work with, & some will be outta state with different agents so I'm hoping to get some more reactions. Cant wait, I love my new grey strat. :D

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
Today was a pretty good 'nice comment' day for me.

I decided to wear a tan shirt, greenish-khaki pants and brown sportcoat with my tan Churchill this morning. My family stopped for breakfast on the way to church, and as my daughter and I were headed toward the door we passed a couple of older women headed out. As I removed my hat and held the door for them, one of them stopped, looked at her friend, then said, "My, you sure do look handsome today! And that's a wonderful hat." As we were finishing our meal, one of the staff walked up, leaned down to my wife and said in a stage whisper, "Your husband looks mighty nice today. Don't you love it when he gets all dressed up and you get to show him off?" She then looked at me and asked where I had put my hat. I pulled it off of my lap and showed her it was safe.

Later in the day we visited my mother-in-law at her nursing home. One of the residents commented to my wife how nice I looked. It seems I've become arm candy for my wife.

Now, I'm no stranger to a shirt with a tie and sportcoat. However, I NEVER got any comments like these when I wore a coat and tie. The only difference is the hat. Many thanks to ofcoursemyhorse for selling that fedora to me. It has become the first of a small group of 'proper' hats that I now own.

Last edited:
Time to bump this bad boy...

Last night at a Christmas reception at a venue with an attended coat and hat check service, (!) there were at least four other fedoras that I could see in the coat room. Apparently overwhelmed, the attendant(s) asked me to come and ID my hat, despite a long line of people waiting behind me. I was clear (though not quite loud) about the fact that I wanted to be sure to get my hat (a last minute swap to a blue smoke by Art Fawcett). As the gal held it up and asked if it was "the one," three people behind me immediately commented: "That IS a nice hat," "Wow, that's really a great hat," and "wait, that's my hat!" Gotta give that last guy credit for trying, I suppose.

Never got a triple before.

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Time to bump this bad boy...

Last night at a Christmas reception at a venue with an attended coat and hat check service, (!) there were at least four other fedoras that I could see in the coat room. Apparently overwhelmed, the attendant(s) asked me to come and ID my hat, despite a long line of people waiting behind me. I was clear (though not quite loud) about the fact that I wanted to be sure to get my hat (a last minute swap to a blue smoke by Art Fawcett). As the gal held it up and asked if it was "the one," three people behind me immediately commented: "That IS a nice hat," "Wow, that's really a great hat," and "wait, that's my hat!" Gotta give that last guy credit for trying, I suppose.

Never got a triple before.

An attended hat and coat check!! Wow! There seems to be a lot of hat love starting to go around these days. Way to represent us hat wearers Charlie (and Art)!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I was shopping recently with my wife. That day, I was wearing one of my ORs. An elderly lady came up to me and said, "I like your hat. I can remember my Dad wearing one just like it when I was a little girl." I thanked her for the compliment and after she walked away, my wife said, "See, Terry. I told you only old men wore hats like that." That wasn't very nice, though. She can go shopping by herself from now on!

Stormy

A-List Customer
One day last week I had missed lunch and was very hungry. So on my way home I decided to stop off at an old diner here in San Antonio and have an early dinner. The name of the diner is the Tip Top Cafe. It has been around since 1938 with very little changes to the place.

Just to set the stage for this incident here is a little info on the Tip Top.

http://tiptopcafe.com/

I was wearing a silverbelly VS hat in a teardrop crease. When I walked into the cafe I was wearing my hat but immeditely took it off and waited to be seated. When I sat down at a booth I noticed an elderly gentleman and his wife finishing their dinner at a table behind me. Next to him was his walker and an oxygen tank. I didn't think much of it and ordered my dinner. My hat was on the seat next to me while I read the newspaper and waited for my meal. A few minutes later I felt a hand on my shoulder and looked up. It was this elderly gentleman and his wife on their way out. He was using his walker and his wife was pushing his oxygen tank. He was now wearing a Marine Corps WWII veteran ball cap. He squeezed my shoulder and said "I like your hat very much". I thanked him for the compliment and his service. He didn't say anything else but just smiled and squeezed my shoulder again then continued out the door. I wish I could have spent more time talking to him but it all happened so fast that I didn't even have a chance to stand up. I have a feeling that gentleman has seen a lot of hats in his day. This will be a compliment I will always remember.

Wow! Got chocked up readin' this one ...

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
The woman never said her father was old when he was wearing hats! Hats were something EVERYONE wore old or young.

Yeah, I told her that. She said that would have been okay in the old days, but nobody, these days, wears hats like that anymore. Obviously, I married a woman who has a poor sense for fashion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot