Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

Magus

Practically Family
Colby Jack said:
So the line in Spanish should be...
"Ahh...gracias, es de Monti Cristi en Ecuador" (Ahh thank you, its from Monti Cristi in Ecuador)...:p :D

...and Dhermann1 ....Thanks. Yep i do know the backstory on Panamas.

And though I might have been able to express the true origin my hat eventually through my limited Spanglish...unfortunatly the time to get that across did not lend itsself to the drive up window.

Plus...I would have had to lie to tell him its a Monti Cristi as I would bet my bottom dollar that based on the weave and style its a Cuenca. ;)

Soooo..."thanks, its a Panama" had to do for the moment :eusa_doh:

Josephine

One Too Many
Just when I was getting ready to toss in the towel regarding henna'ing my hair, I get a "Your hair is beautiful! I love the color" comment. Maybe I'll keep doing it a little longer... :)

cookie

I'll Lock Up
univibe88 said:
I'm very happy for her that she was born with such innate people skills.

Is it congenital or just a response mechanism? Either way you must be proud of her initiative. You can see she will have a huge career in PR and will be a popular person all her life.

I had a job in Parliament House and always said hullo to anyone I saw around the place. Pretty soon they were saying hullo back to me. When I left I had a big send off.... a compliment costs nothing and a greeting even less IMHO....

Lincsong said:
Just this week I've been told twice; "hey, you look like one of the '40s movie stars with that hat".:D

Is this THE ULTIMATE compliment that can be passed to a Lounger???

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
What's always nice to hear is an older woman say, "Nice to see a man in a hat." But the two nicest comments: A fellow Lounger calling me "Gable" at the Griffith Park get-together a few months ago. And when at school, while dressed in tan slacks with dark brown sports coat (thin lapels), thin golden(?) tie and brown fedora, an Argentinian mom came up to me and said, "You look smoking hot." All I could do was sheepishly say, "Gracias," and walk away. :eek:

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Widebrim said:
an Argentinian mom came up to me and said, "You look smoking hot." All I could do was sheepishly say, "Gracias," and walk away. :eek:

Was she smoking hot?

I did receive, on BART (local train), a "no one wears hats anymore. You look great" a couple of weeks ago, by an almost but not quite middle aged black lady. I said, "you look quite well yourself."

At a garage sale more recently than that I heard "I love your retro look." That was OK. I said, "It has taken many years to perfect it" only because I couldn't think of anything else to say.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Disneyland comments...

While at Disneyland this last weekend wearing my Camptown Fieldmaster I got at least one "Dr. Jones" comment from one of the cast members, but it was said in the vein of a compliment with a tip of his cap and "Nice hat," following.

Then, one of the other cast members I remember as "Skipper Chris" on the Jungle Cruise ride complimented my Camptown by asking if it was an Adventurebilt. Felt pretty good. :)

Cheers!

Dan

univibe88

One Too Many
DanielJones said:
Then, one of the other cast members I remember as "Skipper Chris" on the Jungle Cruise ride complimented my Camptown by asking if it was an Adventurebilt.

That is really cool. I wonder if he is a TFL member.

TimBer

New in Town
I was at my local pizzeria this afternoon picking up a to go order and one of the workers walked by and said, "I can dig it. That's fresh," and pointed to my panama.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I just took a nice long stroll around my new neighborhood her in the Bronx. Beautiful, pleasant warm summer evening. I was wearing a plain white shirt, my very loose and baggy natural color linen slacks with green silk suspenders, and my Panama Bob Montecristi. One of the dudes in the hood saw me and said "I like that style man. Savannah, Georgia."
I felt good. :)

rrog

A-List Customer
LEUII said:
The other day I went to the music store to buy a new mouthpiece for my trumpet. I was wearing my Silver Belly OR. I was getting a Schilke 14A4A. I overheard one of the other customers say, 'Man, I bet that fellow's got chops. That mouthpiece and that hat say, "Jazz".'

I only wish he were right! I'm just getting back to playing again after far too many years. :rolleyes:

I know I'm coming to this thread pretty late, but let me just say that if you're buying a Schilke 14A4A, yes, I would also guess you've got chops. A lot of the studio musicians I've known through the years have played Schilke mouthpieces. Not always, but usually if a player can afford a Schilke, he's probably one of the finer musicians out there. They're even more expensive that a Yamaha, which is usually now more expensive than a Bach Strad. So yeah, I'd have guessed you've got chops. (BTW, I play on a Bach.)

rrog

A-List Customer
Oh yeah, I forgot what this thread is about. The nicest thing anyone has said about my hat was when I was picking up my daughters from day care. I was wearing my jeans, blue oxford shirt, leather shoes, a sports coat and my Stetson. One of the ladies looked up when I walked in and said, "Ooh, aren't you all dolled up?" :) Yes, they had to widen the door before I could go back outside!

Rick

Brett McKay

New in Town
I always get compliments from strangers when I wear my gray straw fedora. I think it's funny how people like to see other people wear hats, but they never want to wear one themselves.

Big Man

My family and I were eating out after Church yesterday, and was wearing my "1928 Reunion" by Art Fawcett *well, wore it into the restaurant - not while eating). As we were eating our meal, this nice gentleman (looked to be in his 50's or so) walks up and says, "did you get your hat around here?".

"No", I replied, "I had it custom made."

"I'm a hat wearer myself, and I really like the look" he says.

I went on to tell him about Art Fawcett and his line of VS hats. The guy sounded really interested, so I took the card out of the inside of the hat and gave it to him (the one with Art's contact info). I don't know if he will follow-up or not with his own custom hat, but he sure was interested.

It is always nice to get a good comment, rather than a "hey, Indy" or "hey Al Capone" kind of remark.

The Shirt

Practically Family
Currently super self conscious about the red hair - but today a rep walked in and squealed "You look like a movie star of old" and various other musings. Talk about making your day.

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
Well, not exactly in the most discussed situation here where someone commenting your hat, but I had this situation where I was hatless, shopping CDs (I collect CD and DVD) in a store, and the salesgirl who I NEVER KNEW BEFORE asked me when I checked out, "Why didn't you wear your cowboy hat?"

In this hatless environment of mine, I have established myself as a man in "cowboy" hat lol lol lol

Might go into the dumbest coment thread, but I thik in this case I consider it nice lol

funneman

Practically Family
Two in one day!

Last week I had a recording session with someone I haven't seen since my old "jeans and t-shirt" days. I was wearing a suit, tie and fedora. The first words out of his mouth included "dapper." After the session he said "You look great, I have to get a hat like that." So I told him about OFAS.

Later, outside the bank I was standing at the ATM when I heard a woman's voice behind me say "the man with the hat." I turned around to see one of the tellers. She continued "You are always such a sharp dresser."

:D

Dr Doran

funneman said:
Later, outside the bank I was standing at the ATM when I heard a woman's voice behind me say "the man with the hat." I turned around to see one of the tellers. She continued "You are always such a sharp dresser."

:D

And you didn't even know her? That's kind of cool.

I went to my favorite antique shop in the world in Vancouver, Washington a couple of weeks ago to meet some local Loungers. The man who always works there said, "there he is again! All duded out! Up from school? Where's your wife?!" Rather sweet since I live nowhere near Washington State, but I ALWAYS visit that place when I go to see my parents and I buy ~$50-100 worth of stuff there, so they know me now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn